Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Help: Navi and XM

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 12:52 PM
08Gsmith25

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Help: Navi and XM

I briefly searched and found nothing.

Anyway, I just bought a used 08 coupe sport, and it seems a lot of the options on the nav and XM are greyed out so that i can not select them, such as set a new destination. it has all the old destinations/routes from the previous owner, and i can not figure out how to delete them or just reset the whole thing.

also, I activated my XM, but it only seems to scroll from channel 1 to 0 to 240 something. is this normal? is there a reset button for all this? thanks
Old 04-13-2010, 01:01 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
for the nav, you have to be stopped w/ the parking break on for all the stuff to be lit up...if that is still not working then I am not sure what the problem is

for XM, if you don't get all the channels you can call XM and ask them to resend the signal to you (there might be an option for it but Im not sure, look through the nav unit manual)
Old 04-13-2010, 01:22 PM
csnpsu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can close this thread, hispeed-lowdrag gave you all the info you need.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:10 PM
08Gsmith25

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
for the nav, you have to be stopped w/ the parking break on for all the stuff to be lit up...if that is still not working then I am not sure what the problem is

for XM, if you don't get all the channels you can call XM and ask them to resend the signal to you (there might be an option for it but Im not sure, look through the nav unit manual)

haha..thanks. i didnt think to pull the e break and all that. my wife was messing with the nav while i was driving home and we couldnt figure it out. thanks again
Old 04-13-2010, 03:13 PM
csnpsu

Originally Posted by 08Gsmith25
haha..thanks. i didnt think to pull the e break and all that. my wife was messing with the nav while i was driving home and we couldnt figure it out. thanks again
E- Brake does not have to be pulled, just has to be in park.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:14 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Originally Posted by csnpsu
E- Brake does not have to be pulled, just has to be in park.
he has a 6MT, as do I...so there is no park. In HIS case, the e-brake does have to be pulled.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:15 PM
csnpsu

Ohh, my bad, thanks.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:32 PM
Buckeye G

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Thats retarded. My buddy has a 08 Flex and you can program destinations and such in his navi while driving. The set up that Ford has in those is sweet! Ford definitely has a superior set up in there navi units.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:13 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Buckeye G
Thats retarded. My buddy has a 08 Flex and you can program destinations and such in his navi while driving. The set up that Ford has in those is sweet! Ford definitely has a superior set up in there navi units.
you can do voice destinations while driving just can't type the destination in...I wish I could, but I understand why they make it like that
Old 04-13-2010, 06:05 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Buckeye G
There are other factors to consider here. Besides the fact that you may kill yourself taking your eyes off the road to punch in a destination, there’s the liability expense Nissan would have to add to the MSRP to cover the potential lawsuits.

But in essence, you can have your cake and eat it too by imputing destinations while moving via voice commands. You would be surprised how well it works. I have found it is often faster than manual inputs. You can even have a passenger do it (All you have to do is press the steering wheel button on cue). Try it—put in some long street address manually and time it; then do it again via a voice command. You may be surprised at the result.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:08 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

^well explained Chekov I use the voice command over manual for EVERYTHING having to do with the navi
Old 04-13-2010, 08:22 PM
08Gsmith25

i havent set my voice controls up. will have to try it. i had an eclipse unit in my 350Z that i grounded to a general bolt that allowed DVD/navi/etc. on the fly, but i am not even going to attempt messing with the stocker navi
Old 04-13-2010, 10:43 PM
XMMAN

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
THE EBRAKE DOES NOT HAVE TO BE UP IN A 6MT WITH NAV!!!! You just have to be at a stop.. if the car detects you are moving it will block you out from certain menus.. play with your car and youll figure out ways to do things while driving. if you need help pm me.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:55 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Originally Posted by XMMAN
THE EBRAKE DOES NOT HAVE TO BE UP IN A 6MT WITH NAV!!!! You just have to be at a stop.. if the car detects you are moving it will block you out from certain menus.. play with your car and youll figure out ways to do things while driving. if you need help pm me.
umm...no, that is completely incorrect. the ebrake has to be clicked at least once. otherwise it will stay grayed out. at least that is my experience, maybe my G is the one that has to have the ebrake up
Old 04-13-2010, 11:06 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
umm...no, that is completely incorrect. the ebrake has to be clicked at least once. otherwise it will stay grayed out. at least that is my experience, maybe my G is the one that has to have the ebrake up
With mine it only has to be stopped too. Handbrake position doesn't matter. I'm 100% sure of this: If I mess with the settings as soon as I come to a stop the greyed out settings reappear and work again. Then as soon as I start moving they grey-out again.

Maybe one of us has it wired wrong or something . Or it's different in the sedan vs coupe.

Quick Reply: Help: Navi and XM