Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Best G37 Gauges! (Turbo, Engine, Speed, Temp)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 03:12 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
I've been looking at your logs... damn I wish they were percent instead of voltage. Do you know your 0% and 100% voltage readings for either the APPS or the throttle blade position. By looking at your logs, 0% for the APPS looks to be 0.68v to 0.70v (kind of bounces around) and 0% for the throttle blade looks to be 0.60 volts. If the "THROTTLE POS 1 (V-Throttle)" is actually the throttle blades, then they most definitely do open and close like most all other cars. That makes those guys telling me different dead wrong. Stupid 'those guys'.

Next time send me some logs with a couple wide open throttle runs. Watching you drive around at 25 and 40 mph kind of made me sad.

One more question, what sort of interval or unit is the "Time" running off of? I have an idea but I don't want to sound dumb. Oh well who cares, is that about seven minutes worth of logs?
Old 04-23-2010, 01:05 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Sorry Bro. The log was done using Cipher, which only measures these values in volts. You can refer to these graphs to get a general sense:

Name:  Accelerator.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  13.2 KB
Name:  TP.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  13.5 KB

I dont remember when I made this log. Definitely not one of the performance runs.

I think time is measured in milliseconds.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:52 PM
B L U E S L A T E
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Impressive work! I'm genuinely jealous of your technological knowledge. I am also somewhat tech savy person, but I have never thought of using a computer this in such way. Would you mind showing us some more pictures of location of the PC, wiring diagrams, and parts involved with this build?

Again, excellent work! And thank you so much for sharing with everyone.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Sure thing buddy. Just drew a quick schematic using paint:

Name:  Wiring.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  21.0 KB

I'll take some pics next time I open my trunk.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:17 PM
B L U E S L A T E
Registered Member

The switch you used to change inputs... is that a heated seat switch?

Do you think a normal push on/off switch like TCS one would work as well?

Also, I really like the fact that the videos are playing in wide screen mode instead of 4:3 cropping. I currently have my iPhone3Gs hooked up through the center console composite and the video plays in 4:3 crop which sucks major azz.

Anyways, thank you for helping us out.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:30 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Yes, switch refers to the heat switch.

The VDC switch would not work. As far as I know, the VDC button is a momentary push-button or biased switch. When you're pressing the button, the circuit is closed. But as soon as you let go, the circuit is opened. So you'll only be able to see the computer screen when the button is being held.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:35 PM
B L U E S L A T E
Registered Member

Ahhh... I get what you mean. Thanks for the input! I guess I'll look into another switch then.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:23 AM
Sam@GTM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Modme
As some of you know, I did a DIY GTM twin turbo install. Now I'm back with another exciting thing. Gauges. Check out the teaser pics:
Good job Jason.

Sam
Old 05-13-2010, 04:25 PM
RPMsG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's the hardest part of the project. I opened the navi screen and found the FFC cable that connected to the touchscreen panel. I relayed this connection to a USB touchscreen controller. When the relay is energized, the connection goes to the PC, otherwise, the navigation system receives the signal.
Dude... for that mod you are my hero. No s**t that was the hardest part. Did you cut the FFC and scrape then solder to it, or were you able to get the proper FFC connectors and a second cable? What type of Relay did you use?
Old 06-01-2010, 10:18 AM
g37xs_pilot

Very nice. Impressive work man! Which USB Touchscreen controller did you use? Did you get a chance to take any pics of the trunk?
Old 09-08-2010, 11:05 PM
G35Coupe6MT05

I dont understand why you guy insist that the stock O2 sensor is not a wideband. Referring to the factory service manual, here is what the O2 sensor output graph looks like:

It is quite clear that our O2 sensor is capable of measuring 10-20 afr. Lets compare it to a 2004 G35, where the O2 sensor is indeed not a wideband:

What you said about 14.7 +-1 is true for the old g35 sensor.

During open loop, even though the ECM might not rely on the O2 sensor to adjust fuel and spark, it doesn't mean the O2 sensor just stops measuring AFR altogether. Here is a log of AFR I did a while ago:

See the range that the O2 sensor is outputting? You can see WOT runs when the AFR dips down to ~11.

I'd love to compare the PLX wideband and stock O2 sensors for you. Just send a PLX sensor my house, I'll install and report back within 2 days
I'm looking to get a lean cut off switch for a my nitrous install but it only works with narrow band 0-1v or wide band 0-5v. I found that the 04.5+ 350Zs are semi wideband 0-2v. You were the only one I found on the forum that might have some knowledge about this. Do you know if the g37 sensor is true wideband or 0-2v? (I have a 2010 g37)
Old 04-05-2011, 08:51 PM
ctmotorsport

Mad props to Modme,

I am looking into hooking up my android phone to my Navi, did you use a usb touch screen controller simular to this one? USB Touch Controller

Where did you find a Scan Do 800 for 80 bucks? I am looking at dropping an zboxhd-nd02-u into my car later on, but I would like to connect my android phone with touch screen first into my car in a similar fashion.

I was looking at this for the dual HDMI input to also connect up my ps3 just for fun.
ViewHD Two Input HDMI to RGB
Old 04-06-2011, 08:32 PM
kosstick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone know anyone in Cali that can do this for me?? Really interested ;0
Old 04-06-2011, 08:43 PM
xlack
Registered Member

dang after reading this thread i wish i was an engineering major lol
Old 04-07-2011, 07:23 PM
EnfinitI

Originally Posted by ctmotorsport
Mad props to Modme,

I am looking into hooking up my android phone to my Navi, did you use a usb touch screen controller simular to this one? USB Touch Controller

Where did you find a Scan Do 800 for 80 bucks? I am looking at dropping an zboxhd-nd02-u into my car later on, but I would like to connect my android phone with touch screen first into my car in a similar fashion.

I was looking at this for the dual HDMI input to also connect up my ps3 just for fun.
ViewHD Two Input HDMI to RGB
That adapter you mention isn't the right kind of RGB you need. You need 15khz RGB not Component Video which is actually YPbPr. The RGB signal in the car is 4 wires (not including ground) which are Red, Green, Blue and Sync.

Just keep checking Ebay ScanDo 800's show up there every now and again. I found one for 50$ a while back. You can also substitute the ScanDo 800 for another ScanDo Device but they are usually far more expensive as they are newer and fancier.

The Touch Screen Overlay and USB Controller I used are the following from TVI Electronics Online Store : Catalog.
<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr class="ecxdataTableRow"><td class="ecxdataTableContent" align="center" valign="top">7.0" 16:9 4-Wire Resistive Touch Screen </td> <td class="ecxdataTableContent" align="center" valign="top">TSR-070-4W-HLD</td> <td class="ecxdataTableContent" align="center" valign="top">4-Wire Resistive Touch Panel for 7.0" Widescreen LCD monitors</td></tr></tbody></table><table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr class="ecxdataTableRow"> <td class="ecxdataTableContent" align="right" valign="top"> </td> <td class="ecxdataTableContent" align="center" valign="top">4-Wire TouchScreen USB Controller </td> <td class="ecxdataTableContent" align="center" valign="top">SLT-TP05-USB</td> <td class="ecxdataTableContent" align="center" valign="top">Touch Screen USB Controller for 4-Wire Analog Resistive Touch Panels</td></tr></tbody></table>

Quick Reply: Best G37 Gauges! (Turbo, Engine, Speed, Temp)