Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

re-newing XM Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 11:42 AM
blitzebill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
XM is renewing at $77/yr if you ask real nice. and this is my 2nd consecutive year doing this.

just did mine yesterday.

_____

update and correction. That 5 month special is available, I just switched to it. BUT it is only good one time, after 5 months, you cannot renew for another 5 months.

Last edited by blitzebill; 01-14-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:18 PM
nethole
Registered Member

What's the best deal people have been getting for XM, weather and traffic?
Old 01-28-2011, 12:41 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Infiniti7
i called a couple times and talked to them about the 77 dollar rate and they said thats because that was the promotion they were offering right then and its not offered anymore. i asked them multiple times and they didnt seem like they were going to budge. do u think i can still get the 77 rate if i just got charged for the 142 rate?
My XM was renewing 2/1, so just now called them to renew. They told me the same thing, that I was on a promo rate and all they could offer me was yearly plans that calculated to almost $14 per month.

So, I told them I just didn't use it that much, and to cancel my account. (this is the key here - you have to tell them you want to cancel) They will forward you to their "Retention" department, trying to keep you.

They forwarded me to someone else who was happy to offer me the same discounted rate for five more months - it came out to about $4.80 per month for five months, my renewal charged to the CC was $23.06 after crediting me about 75 cents for the remainder of my term until 2/1/11.

The "gotcha" is that you have to agree that if you don't cancel or renew before the term expires, they WILL renew you for one year at the full, published rates. I agreed to that.

1) Have MS Excel open when you call so you can do some quick calculations and take notes fo future reference. Keep disagreeing until you're under an average of $5 per month, fees included.

2) Let them keep a credit card on file - required for great rates.

3) Agree to the "full price renewal on expiration" at the end of the promo term.

4) THIS IS KEY - enter a reminder in Outlook, your phone, or write it on a Calendar so you DO NOT forget to call them a few days before it expires. At that time, renew or cancel. Ask them the expiration date and WRITE it down. Be sure to call before that dat to go through this whole process again.

5) Enjoy XM for less than $5 per month for 5 minutes of effort every 5 months.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:45 PM
TinsleyC

Originally Posted by blitzebill
update and correction. That 5 month special is available, I just switched to it. BUT it is only good one time, after 5 months, you cannot renew for another 5 months.
I just did! You have to be willing to cancel.

Even if you do cancel, wait a few days or weeks and call back.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:47 PM
TinsleyC

Originally Posted by dainjarouz
reviving old thread for update!!

just renewed for 5 months for $23. The guy said when the 5 months is up I can request the same deal and they should give it. That comes out to $4.60/mo. or $55.20 a year.
There ya go!
Old 01-28-2011, 01:23 PM
nethole
Registered Member

anyone been able to do this AND get weather and traffic?
Old 01-28-2011, 03:44 PM
Morrissey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no way jose.

$190 for the year for me:
1. xm
2. traffic
3. best of sirius to get howard
4. online
Old 01-28-2011, 03:47 PM
Morrissey

Originally Posted by kapyt
I just renewed my subscription (after 3 months trial) for 5 months for 19.99. With taxes/fees it turned out to be about $23. Not bad..

this isn't a renewal deal. it's a trial. this is still available btw. it's a trial for 5 months. ONLY thing you can use it for is plan old XM.

NO howard
NO online
NO traffic/weather

and you'll still get emails and calls periodically.

just sign up for real. stop being cheap.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:06 PM
RaulGCustom
SoCal Driven

Received 406 Likes on 400 Posts
Originally Posted by TinsleyC
I did my free trial from Nov-Jan. They bugged me for renewal but I didn't.

I got a flyer in the mail a few weeks ago advertising $4.99 a month for 6 months, but they renew you at the full rate if you don't call at the end of six months to cancel (or talk them into another six months).

The charge went through, $37.37 for six months, after taxes. I guess that's better than $77 per year plus taxes.

I put a reminder on my Outlook Calendar to call in six months.

Thats a good deal!

Old 02-01-2011, 09:49 PM
silversting

Did you know you can double you trial periods?

XM USA and Canada are treated as completely different entities (with differnet 1-800 numbers). I started my trial up here in Canada and was upset to get fewer channels, so once my trial was done I called XM USA to try and get the 77$ deal.

Girl told me my radio was never activated and so she gave me 3 months free. Called back XM canada and they said my trial was over and would cost $1xx per year.

NOTE: You will never a Canadian address and an American address !!!
Old 02-22-2011, 11:10 PM
Morrissey

Originally Posted by Morrissey
no way jose.

$190 for the year for me:
1. xm
2. traffic
3. best of sirius to get howard
4. online
No weather! I assumed it came with traffic. Anyone have pricing?
Old 02-23-2011, 12:20 AM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
I have an iPod with a ton of music on it and a USB port to plug it into. Why on earth would I pay for radio?

I do like the Boneyard, but I have just about everything they play on my iPod.

*shrug*
Old 02-27-2011, 11:31 AM
shtaka
Registered Member

I received a call from XM on Friday, coincidentally the same day I had my car in for it's 3 month service! Some fast talking guy who was practically unintelligible asked me if I wanted to renew for 6 months for a total of $37. I told him I had a coupon at home for 1 year at $77, but for some reason he couldn't give that rate. Probably only gets commission if he sells the 6 month deal. Then he asks me for a credit card number. I told him no way was I going to give my number to some stranger on the phone. He said he would mail me an invoice.

I think he did say that it would renew at the going rate, so I'll have to make a note to cancel before the new rate goes into effect.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:20 PM
Morrissey

HOW much does weather cost, anyone?
Old 06-27-2011, 06:48 PM
TinsleyC

My XM was expiring so I called to renew. They offered me:

$38.85 for 3 months - $12.95 per month
$29.99 for 5 months - $6 per month
$12.95 for 3 months - $4.32 per month, but "downgraded service"

We settled on:

$24.99 for 5 months - $5 per month

So I put 11/24/2011 on my Outlook Calendar with a 7-day reminder to "Renew or Lose!", and will go through the process again.

Notes:

- You have to be willing to cancel to get the good rates
- If you don't call to re-negotiate come expiration, they will renew you at high rates
- I'm bummed that I didn't get my below $5/month that I got last time. I got frustrated, was in a hurry, and settled for an even $5 month (okay, $4.998 actually)

Quick Reply: re-newing XM Radio?