Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Weather and traffic alerts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 11:07 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Weather and traffic alerts?

I have the 90 day XM free trial, on my 2010 G37, Journey with Premium and Nav. and wasn't sure what was included with it. Are the weather and traffic alerts part of the XM radio package?
Tom
Old 03-15-2010, 11:19 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The navtraffic should be included with the free trial. If you get the green yellow and red traffic lines on your GPS maps, then you are getting traffic. Also you can get weather and traffic on stations 210-222. But I'm not sure if those stations are part of the navtraffic or if they are always included

Traffic & weather is not available for everywhere, only in major metro areas. What part of the country do you live in?

Edit:I have a 2009. According to the link below, starting with the 2010 model, your car is also capable of navweather, which includes graphical weather overlays on your map (my 2009 only has navtraffic; I get the radio weather on channel 214). I'm not sure if that's included in the trial though.

http://www.xmradio.com/navweather/whatsnew.xmc
Old 03-15-2010, 11:43 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It is the Nav Weather.
I haven't used it enough to notice the overlays on the map, only had the car a few days. The 3 day forecast comes up on the Nav screen.
Thanks for the link. It shows it costs $19.95 a month for the XM radio, weather and traffic package. I think I have 90 days to decide, so I better start using it to see if I think it is worth the cost.
I live in Punta Gorda,FL. which is in SW Florida.
Thanks,
Tom
Old 03-16-2010, 12:21 AM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There's a map here of what is covered buy traffic. I couldn't tell if your area would be included in the Tampa/St.Petersburg area or not.
XM Satellite Radio - America's #1 Satellite Radio Service

I'm in the DC area which is known for heavy traffic so I opted for the full package. I was given a year XM subscription as a Birthday Present -- so I added the traffic and "Best of Sirius" package for the NFL. I'm not sure if I'm going to want to keep the XM subscription at all next year or not though. But if I do, I'll probably get the same package again since it's not a whole lot extra.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:09 PM
Gobbler Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have had sirius for years. i have a portable sirius radio. works great for jogs, mowing, etc. with sirius, if you have two radios the second is a cheaper rate (like $7 a month). i was hoping that since it is sirius/xm, that i would be able to get either the car or the portable at the cheaper second rate. well, nope. i will have to get two subscriptions. one for xm and one for sirius. looks like i will be selling my sirius portable and getting a new xm portable. bummed about that since i just got the sirius a year ago as a gift from the wife.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:30 AM
dsniegocki

BTW, how the heck do they expect us to see RED traffic buildup lines on a RED interstate road line...? Or am I missing something?
Old 04-13-2010, 12:08 PM
XMMAN

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Navtraffic coverage has expanded to the alley and 75 in your area.

Dsniegocki - The lines run next to the regular road line and they are a different shade and thicker

feel free to PM me with an XM/ Sirius related questions
Old 04-13-2010, 03:52 PM
dsniegocki

Originally Posted by XMMAN
The Navtraffic coverage has expanded to the alley and 75 in your area.

Dsniegocki - The lines run next to the regular road line and they are a different shade and thicker

feel free to PM me with an XM/ Sirius related questions

Thanks, XMMan - I'll give it another look. Of course, I-485 is ALWAYS jammed, so there's usually little doubt...
Old 05-10-2010, 01:06 PM
novaleadfoot

living in the DC area, I like the traffic availability...I am a recent G37 purchaser and I need to figure out how to disable the interruptions...I will be getting into my music and a voice comes out of nowhere to tell be that there are light wind gusts 25 miles west of me...not cool
Old 05-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by dsniegocki
BTW, how the heck do they expect us to see RED traffic buildup lines on a RED interstate road line...? Or am I missing something?
The traffic lines are a bit thinner and slightly offset from the roadway lines, so both are easily visible even when both are red.