Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Latest XM rates?????????

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 01:22 PM
blaque831

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The past three times I've tried to cancel I just keep saying no until they give me 5 months for $20. I've done it three times now....what does that work out to? $48 a year I think? This is even after I told them I was canceling the other day after my 3 month trial on my new G was over.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:05 PM
ifinity

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, you have to be willing to give it up completely, then they will offer the discounted price. I just have XM radio and just got another $5/mo deal for 5 months. If they do not give you an acceptable deal, drop it, and plug in the Ipod.

It is great to hear of the other options for traffic info. But mobile web access on top of the phone access cost$ seems like too much to pay. Maybe if I was stuck in traffic more often, it would be worth it.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:38 PM
XMMAN

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The increased prices were do to increased royalty rates being charged. Pandora is great, but the connection to a 3G network is not always available and it can really hinder performance. The price for a cell phone plan + data plan = more then XM's monthly charge. Also, if you listen to Pandora alot, you may have noticed their "testing" of commercials. Guess what folks? Pandora need to increase their own revenue and will be doing this by starting to play commercials..

The lifetime memberships are not transferable on OEM equipment, only aftermarket solutions.

XM has not come and gone, it grows in subs every quarter!
Old 03-16-2010, 06:58 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
+ 1 on iPhone streaming Pandora! Works for me!
Old 03-16-2010, 07:29 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by XMMAN
The increased prices were do to increased royalty rates being charged. Pandora is great, but the connection to a 3G network is not always available and it can really hinder performance. The price for a cell phone plan + data plan = more then XM's monthly charge. Also, if you listen to Pandora alot, you may have noticed their "testing" of commercials. Guess what folks? Pandora need to increase their own revenue and will be doing this by starting to play commercials..

The lifetime memberships are not transferable on OEM equipment, only aftermarket solutions.

Do you work for XM Radio? I have a question that maybe you can answer or find the answer to. XM NavTraffic uses NAVTEQ Traffic for information, correct? How come in Toronto, Canada there is only traffic flow information on two roads and the incident reports are only on a couple of major roads and are often hour or days old. Yet Bing.com also uses NAVTEQ Traffic for its traffic displays on it's maps and it gives traffic flow information for all the major roads in Toronto as well as up to the minute incident reports for the entire city?
Old 03-16-2010, 09:45 PM
juicybusa

Just got the $77 dollar 3 free months deal---damn I should have asked for more! LOL
Old 03-16-2010, 09:53 PM
XMMAN

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
Do you work for XM Radio? I have a question that maybe you can answer or find the answer to. XM NavTraffic uses NAVTEQ Traffic for information, correct? How come in Toronto, Canada there is only traffic flow information on two roads and the incident reports are only on a couple of major roads and are often hour or days old. Yet Bing.com also uses NAVTEQ Traffic for its traffic displays on it's maps and it gives traffic flow information for all the major roads in Toronto as well as up to the minute incident reports for the entire city?
Just wait
Old 03-16-2010, 09:55 PM
whiddles
Registered Member

more details please ^^
Old 03-18-2010, 05:58 AM
riceqx2

I think its safe to say that unless you initiate a call to them, your subscription will end.
They aren't going to call you to offer any deal to continue the service.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:29 AM
JLai

Originally Posted by riceqx2
I think its safe to say that unless you initiate a call to them, your subscription will end.
They aren't going to call you to offer any deal to continue the service.
The subscription doesn't end...They keep a credit card on file and charge you the regular monthly price if you don't call in.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:49 AM
Gyoza

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL. I would gladly pay the 36 dollars per year that Pandora asks to remove the ads and commercials. But in reality, I only get 1-2 commercials per week, and that is listening to the iPhone app approx 12+ hours per week.

XM on the other hand, is loaded with commericals (i.e. channel 202), or just endless rants by DJ/hosts plugging their own crap and going on extended diatribes. Honestly, if I wanted to hear someone talk, NPR is free, as is local radio. Also, ever since the merge with Sirius, the programming that I used to enjoy has either been removed or changed to the point that I no longer listen (i.e. XM 66 afternoon show)

I did not buy an iphone for Pandora, but since I have one, there is no reason not to use it to enjoy the music I like, and only the music I like. I can't speak for other cities, but I use my iphone all around Atlanta and Southern Tennessee, with little to no cutouts. XM was far less reliable (i.e. the "Loading..." message)

If the forecast for XM is so bright, could you please explain to me the .87 cent stock price? (And the stock has been taking a nose dive since 2006, so its not just the economy.)

Pandora>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>XM
Old 03-18-2010, 12:58 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Just wait
Is this a "wait a couple of months" thing or will I still be waiting two years from now?
Old 03-18-2010, 06:44 PM
XMMAN

[quote=Gyoza;2875964

If the forecast for XM is so bright, could you please explain to me the .87 cent stock price? (And the stock has been taking a nose dive since 2006, so its not just the economy.)

Pandora>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>XM[/quote]

First off, I just want to clear something up.. I do not speak on the behalf of Sirius/XM. The view or opinions I post are my own.

You have some good points to pandora, and I am not saying is a bad service in any way. It reminds me of when both Sirius and XM first started and they had those short ads that weren't very annoying. That's when the service was less then $10 a month for about 120 channels. Running any type of "radio" company gets more expensive the more popular it becomes. To keep profits coming in and not hike up the costs of subscriptions they usually sell add space. It will probably happen to Pandora as well.

The beauty of Pandora is you can listen to a station generated around your tastes, but with their limited song library you will end up hearing the same song many times(not that it doesn't happen on FM/Sat Radio ). The downside of Pandora is the lack of news(CNN, BBC, CNBC), sports(NBA, NFL, MLB, NASCAR, etc.), comedy, traffic/weather, Howard stern, opie and anthony, Oprah, Radio Disney (for the little ones). If you don't want live entertainment and just want to listen to a style of music you like, why not just use an ipod? There has to be a reason why millions of people are subscribing, don't you think? It just might not be for you!

And as far as the stock price, I dont know if you knew or not but both Sirius and XM have merged since July 2008. Whatever the stock was doing in 2006 really doesn't matter anymore. Have you been watching it lately? It's climbing up. Sure the stock price is low, but that doesn't mean that Sirius/XM does not offer a quality service for about the price of a CD per month.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:34 PM
Sunstealer

I just called and asked for and received the $77/year deal (no traffic). It took about five minutes.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:40 PM
Michelangelo

I own 10K shares of SIRI that I bought at .29, so I'm fairly happy (not as happy as I'd be if it hit $2, but happy). My opinion on the low price has a couple of components.

First, there are a LOT of shares out there, somewhere over 3.5 billion, so each share is consequently worth less than it would be if there were fewer (I believe this effect is called "dilution").

Second, the government took FAR too long to approve the merger, and the uncertainty caused a lot of people to dump their shares, driving the price down.

Third, short-sellers have been murdering SIRI for a very long time. I have hoped something would happen to spike the price and cause the shorts to lose their asses, but it hasn't happened yet.

Fourth, is partially the economy, specifically automobile sales, since Sirius/XM is tied very closely to those.

There are also a lot of people who are not so bullish on Sirius/XM and think it's only a matter of time before it goes away, which I think is misguided, but they're entitled to their opinions.

I think the turning point was last February when Liberty Media took a big equity stake in Sirius/XM and saved it from bankruptcy. It was at .05 then, I should have bought another 50K shares but it took a lot just to hold the 10K I had (understand, if Sirius/XM had gone bankrupt I'd have lost my investment entirely, so the temptation was there to sell low, claim my loss, and move on--thankfully, I didn't).

Anyway, that's the opinion of a "hobby" investor, your mileage may vary (and smarter stock pickers might have other inputs).

Quick Reply: Latest XM rates?????????