Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

video interface design for front camera question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Greg Lecewicz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
video interface design for front camera question

My intent is to install a front camera. I'm not going to run the video cables to the cabin. Instead I will use a wireless camera and I will plug the receiver into the AUX port RCA plugs inside the center console storage. There is a 12v power avail there too so it is easy. We all know how to hack the system to be able to watch the video while driving[ which is I think very dangerous] but it is not my intention to just disable the important safety feature. Would you have any advice how to design the apparatus so it turns the camera on when you are let's say 8 feet from the front obstacle. Some kind of a sonar switch without the manual switch. The E35 has the front camera but nobody at the dealership would be able to tell me what kind of interface does it have. I deduct it has a link to the distance sensor of the intelligent cruise control. Had any of you ever looked in the back of the g37 radio if there are any extra receptacles maybe for that purpose?
Old 03-12-2010, 11:08 PM
whiddles
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you have info on video while driving? email me at whiddles@aol.com
Old 03-13-2010, 12:09 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
You are finally getting somewhere Greg, good to see your R&D dept is now headed somewhere useful haha
Old 03-13-2010, 01:10 AM
Greg Lecewicz

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9IT5qsmpw7s&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_ US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9IT5qsmpw7s&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_ US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>URL="<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9IT5qsmpw7s&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_ US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9IT5qsmpw7s&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_ US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>"]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9IT5qsmpw7s&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_ US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9IT5qsmpw7s&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_ US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/URL]
Originally Posted by G37Sam
You are finally getting somewhere Greg, good to see your R&D dept is now headed somewhere useful haha
you realize Sam, it is a semi compliment! but thank you anyway. Here is the video of ex35 with the cameras.[IMG]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9IT5qsmpw7s&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_ US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9IT5qsmpw7s&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_ US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/IMG]
Old 03-13-2010, 01:19 AM
Greg Lecewicz

sorry for multiple embeds but I thought they could not post so I did it again and again.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:26 AM
Dieseldoug22

Get a universal back up detector kit. Hook the normal piezo buzzer or chime thing that alerts you to a relay. Hook a couple of wires to the AUX button on the dash area. So when the back-up sensor starts to beep it electronically pushes the AUX button and bingo.

Those are the basic steps. Hopefully you will be able to fill in the blanks, if you have some electronics background. If not I can try to explain better. It should work in theory.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:01 AM
Greg Lecewicz

Originally Posted by Dieseldoug22
Get a universal back up detector kit. Hook the normal piezo buzzer or chime thing that alerts you to a relay. Hook a couple of wires to the AUX button on the dash area. So when the back-up sensor starts to beep it electronically pushes the AUX button and bingo.

Those are the basic steps. Hopefully you will be able to fill in the blanks, if you have some electronics background. If not I can try to explain better. It should work in theory.
Thank you, makes sense. It might be very difficult to tap into the aux switch. Probably to invasive to make it a worthwhile project.
Summary: Front parking sensor as they come. Run the wires from the buzzer to the 2 way relay[ or 2 relays]. One momentary, pushes the aux the other grounds you know what[ I can't say it loud]. I wonder if the buzzer only comes as a pulse device- which would not be suitable since we need a steady sound that engages and disengages the relay.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:34 PM
Dieseldoug22

Tapping into the AUX button is definitely a tough point. But as for the relay to ground you know what, you could set up another relay to be a latching circuit. So the second relay stays powered to hold closed the first relay. But you will need a toggle switch to deactivate the second relay when you are finished with it.

Just asking, but what is the idea behind this idea? I don't understand why you would want to do this.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:54 PM
pfizzle

Had any of you ever looked in the back of the g37 radio if there are any extra receptacles maybe for that purpose?

If there isn't any receptacles in the back, just drill a hole in the radio. lol
Old 03-13-2010, 10:12 PM
Greg Lecewicz

Originally Posted by Dieseldoug22
Tapping into the AUX button is definitely a tough point. But as for the relay to ground you know what, you could set up another relay to be a latching circuit. So the second relay stays powered to hold closed the first relay. But you will need a toggle switch to deactivate the second relay when you are finished with it.

Just asking, but what is the idea behind this idea? I don't understand why you would want to do this.
. I was hoping for the camera cause I will be changing the front cover at some point and dropping the car 1 inch so it would make a 2 inch total less clearance. I just hate the scrapes. Thanx for help.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:18 PM
Greg Lecewicz

Originally Posted by pfizzle
Had any of you ever looked in the back of the g37 radio if there are any extra receptacles maybe for that purpose?

If there isn't any receptacles in the back, just drill a hole in the radio. lol
I don't think there would be a receptacle on the back. After watching the video with ex35 and all the cameras I've noticed there is a camera push button on the radio. If the units would have the same guts and maybe just the front controls are different it would be possible to use the cameras on the coupe.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:09 AM
Dieseldoug22

Originally Posted by Greg Lecewicz
. I was hoping for the camera cause I will be changing the front cover at some point and dropping the car 1 inch so it would make a 2 inch total less clearance. I just hate the scrapes. Thanx for help.
Gotcha. I was thinking you wanted this for while driving and getting on peoples a$$es. I totally understand the reason now. I also am lowered with a full front bumper. I have started backing into spaces. Rear view camera is AWESOME. Plus it will show off the new front end and hide the hideous factory rear end.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:24 AM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a front camera. I just wired it into the cabin. I have it wired so its just on when the car is on, then when i want to see it i just put it to AUX, i already have "the forbidden switch" so if im moving i just flick that and theres my video.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:39 AM
Greg Lecewicz

Originally Posted by Stoof@180Custom
I have a front camera. I just wired it into the cabin. I have it wired so its just on when the car is on, then when i want to see it i just put it to AUX, i already have "the forbidden switch" so if im moving i just flick that and theres my video.
I wanted some kind of automatic ON when you get close to the obstacle. I guess the simple switch would be the only easy solution. "The forbidden switch" TFS also known as. Haha it sounds great!
Old 03-15-2010, 01:58 AM
Dieseldoug22

Don't forget you would NEED "TFS" also for it to work.

Quick Reply: video interface design for front camera question