Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Universal garage door opener.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 02:34 AM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Universal garage door opener.

Any of you g owned canadian? i cant seem for the life of me to program my in-car remote. I know i have to press my real opened in 2 second bursts, any tips in programming it?
Old 02-28-2010, 03:45 AM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Not Canadian, but I think they should all work the same way as instructed in the manual
if you search for homelink you'll find some informative threads on getting it setup

one here

https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...-question.html
Old 02-28-2010, 05:32 AM
Gee37S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canadian G here, tried setting it up today and I was also having trouble. Going to give it an other shot tomorrow...
Old 02-28-2010, 06:05 AM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
do you have a newer garage opener with rolling codes? if so, you have to add an additional step. one downside to this is that the remote that came with the garage door opener is no longer linked to the unit and will no longer open the garage door.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3JC3DWluQ6U&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3JC3DWluQ6U&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 02-28-2010, 09:02 AM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by speedracer g37
do you have a newer garage opener with rolling codes? if so, you have to add an additional step. one downside to this is that the remote that came with the garage door opener is no longer linked to the unit and will no longer open the garage door.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3JC3DWluQ6U&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3JC3DWluQ6U&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
+1 Excellent video! Those steps have to be done in that order (as the manual says) if you have the door with a rolling code. Additionally for the original remote once it's no longer active (don't know why?), just set learning mode again and press the button on the original remote to reprogram. Then you can have a backup if you car is at the dealer and you get a loaner overnight etc.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:43 PM
rhymenoceros

The remote shouldn't deactivate after linking. That sounds like a whole different problem. What should happen is right after programming the homelink in your car, you go to the garage unit and press the learn button only once. Then get back into your car and you've got 30 seconds to program the button again by holding your homelink button till it blinks fast and clicking the remote until lights flash on your garage unit or it clicks, depending on the make. I found that if you press the learn butto n twice, then it would deactivate the remote. Otherwise, there would be no problems.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
the manual says that if you live in canada since 1997 or 1999 all transmitting devices can only transmit 2 seconds at a time. So i have to hold the remote button for 2 second intervals, but i cant seem to get it to work.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:11 AM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check if you have rolling codes, you may be missing the last step. I had to do this with mine.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:09 PM
rhymenoceros

Ok, so I had a few steps wrong in my post, namely after pressing the learn button, you are actually supposed to keep pressing the homelink button you're programming until the lights flash.

Ok, I found another way. First, clear the programming for the homelink, that can be done by pressing the two outside buttons for about 20 seconds or until the light starts to blink quickly. Then choose the button you want to program your remote to. Hold until the light blinks slowly, then program by clicking your remote every two seconds while still holding the homelink button. It should take a few tries, you just need to keep sending the signal until homelink can read it. It should take a few clicks, but it will program. So, just click at two-second intervals so the homelink can get a steady signal. That should solve the programming. Then hit the learn button on the garage opener and get to your car within 30 seconds, I believe, and keep clicking your programmed homelink button until the garage light flickers. That should be it. Let me know if that works!
Old 03-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Gee37S

^^ Yup that worked flawlessly! Got all my buttons programmed!