Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

XM Raido Signal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 12:11 AM
Infiniti7
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
XM Raido Signal?

Never had this issue but I turned my car on today and the XM raido came on like it always does and after about 5 seconds the sound went off but the fm am raido still had sound. So I turned my car off then on and the XM came back on. What could this of been? Why would the sound just turn off but the fm am still had sound?
Old 02-21-2010, 12:15 AM
beerme986

you could have lost signal for whatever reason since XM is satellite based. nothing I would worry about.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:50 AM
Infiniti7
Registered Member

it has nothing to do with my window tints right? i asked them about that and they said it wouldnt effect it cuz it has non metallic in the film or whatever. if it was the window tints wouldnt it effect the fm am radio as well not just the XM radio?
Old 02-21-2010, 12:55 AM
beerme986

window tint will not affect FM/XM signals. dont want to get into detail but if your curious you can do a search.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:57 AM
Infiniti7
Registered Member

then why do some people talk about it effecting the signal with the film? so you think for sure i just lost signal in the XM radio for sure?
Old 02-21-2010, 02:09 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Infiniti7
then why do some people talk about it effecting the signal with the film? so you think for sure i just lost signal in the XM radio for sure?
Becuase they don't know what they're talking about. The XM antenna is on the roof of the car.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:24 AM
cdso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
Becuase they don't know what they're talking about. The XM antenna is on the roof of the car.
+1. The shark fin on the roof near the rear window.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:01 AM
FourT2

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
effecting != affecting. Or maybe you meant "effing the signal"

BTW, also their != there

Yes the "grammer" **** was here.

Seriously, you just need to have a clear view of the sky for XM to work correctly. FM/AM does not need that.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:28 AM
DownstairsDave
Registered Member

You probably weren't treating your XM Gremlins with enough respect. You can make this up to them by giving them blinker fluid every day or so. Your signal will never be dropped again.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Infiniti7
Registered Member

So has anyone in here ever lost signal with your xm radio before? The music was playing then all of a sudden it sort of dropped and u couldn't here the sound anymore on your xm?
Old 02-21-2010, 12:25 PM
eauty

So has anyone in here ever lost signal with your xm radio before? The music was playing then all of a sudden it sort of dropped and u couldn't here the sound anymore on your xm?
It happens all the time with satellite radio. Sometimes just going in my garage I lose the satellite signal. I have XM radio on both of my cars and it does the same thing in both cars. I have an '09 Ford Explorer the Infiniti with XM and like I said they both act the same way.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:48 PM
Infiniti7
Registered Member

I just don't understand because if I lost signal then the screen would have "you have lost signal" it didn't say anything the sound just went away and you couldn't hear anything?
Old 02-21-2010, 12:57 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just don't understand because if I lost signal then the screen would have "you have lost signal" it didn't say anything the sound just went away and you couldn't hear anything?
Not necessarily. Especially if it's only for a short while. I've been driving through parking garages where the reception goes in & out, but the screen didn't change. The sound cuts out for a while before that happens.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:14 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
I hope this is not another one of your threads where you keep asking the same basic question over and over again adnauseam, event though it’s been answered.

But once again, it is normal from time to time for the XM signal to go out briefly, and the “Loading” message (at least in my car) may or may not appear. And of course, with the XM antenna being on the roof, its signal quality has nothing to do with window tints.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:24 PM
Arvig

If a XM antenna falls off of a G37 in the forest, do the window tints hear any sound?

(Sorry, had to. Been up all night, couldn't sleep so kind of in a goofy mood right now.)

Quick Reply: XM Raido Signal?