Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Changing Locations with NAV systems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 10:31 PM
Infiniti7
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Changing Locations with NAV systems?

i just took my car from the east coast to the west coast. i am wondering what i have to do to the nav system so its updated to my location? someone said something about changing the region on your gps system. is that all i have to do or should i do other things in the system as well?
Old 02-17-2010, 10:44 PM
Canadian144

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, it is a hard-drive based system so you don't really have to do anything other than set your region and I guess program your "Home" location.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:51 PM
Riley
Registered Member

You do have to set the region as you drive....
It's on the first page of the GPS and I didn't even notice it at first....

Until I drove to the states one day and it didn't work.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:37 AM
Chapinb

I didnt think of this till this question was posted. Im taking trip to FL in april. Do you set the nav for that region, set the address and take off?
Old 02-22-2010, 04:57 PM
SindhiStyle

Chapinb: Yea if you are going from Florida to Illinois, then you change the region to Illinois and put in your address and go. The navigation is hard drive based so no updating of the software or anything. Just pick the region where you want to go and then put in the address and you are all set. I just moved from Atlanta to Detroit.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:02 PM
blitzebill

well the Nav and GPS components don't really need your location punched into the system to give you directions, etc. It can figure out routes without your location set.

my dealer made a good point about NOT saving your location in the Nav system. If the car gets stolen, the thieves can make a beeline direct to your house and clean it out.

I don't list my location in the Nav and it works fine.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:48 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's all explained in the navigation system manual.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:30 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
You may need to recalibrate your compass in the rear view mirror... do NAV G's have a compass in the rear view mirror?
Old 02-23-2010, 12:07 AM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TinsleyC
You may need to recalibrate your compass in the rear view mirror... do NAV G's have a compass in the rear view mirror?
Mine doesn't; there's a graphical compass on the nav screen when the map is showing.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:35 AM
eauty

They took out the rear view mirror compass either in 08 or 09 with Navigation. My 07 G35 had nav and rear view mirror compass. My 09 doesn't have the rear view mirror compass and I have nav. Bummer, I liked that feature.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:40 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by blitzebill
my dealer made a good point about NOT saving your location in the Nav system. If the car gets stolen, the thieves can make a beeline direct to your house and clean it out.

I don't list my location in the Nav and it works fine.
I don't know if it is easy to hot wire the car. If anything, the pros are gonna tow it away, then they leave it somewhere to see if lojack is installed. Then they have to get it started to use your NAV. By then, they may may have already gotten your address from the registration that most people leave in their car.

Maybe consider using a neighbor's address for your home? That way you can use the voice command "destination, home".
Old 02-23-2010, 12:47 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Riley
You do have to set the region as you drive....
It's on the first page of the GPS and I didn't even notice it at first....

Until I drove to the states one day and it didn't work.
Are you outside the US?

I don't know about driving from one country to another, but when using voice commands for destination, the first thing I say is "destination, street address, california". I'm not sure why a region would have to be set or even if there is even a region setting?

Maybe I'll try saying "destination, street address, ontario" this afternoon for kicks to see what happens.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:35 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by terrycs
I don't know if it is easy to hot wire the car. If anything, the pros are gonna tow it away, then they leave it somewhere to see if lojack is installed. Then they have to get it started to use your NAV. By then, they may may have already gotten your address from the registration that most people leave in their car.

Maybe consider using a neighbor's address for your home? That way you can use the voice command "destination, home".
All you need to do is put in your home address as an intersection or other point a block or two away. Assuming you know how to get home from there, the potential thieves still will have no clue of your actual address. Of course as you say your address is listed on the registration slip that is left in the car. And if you have Homelink, they can simply roll right into your garage.

In that regard, I have LoJack with the “early warning” option which means as soon as a thief attempts to move the car I will receive a phone call, or if not answering, the cops will be called before the car gets towed anywhere.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:02 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chekov
All you need to do is put in your home address as an intersection or other point a block or two away. Assuming you know how to get home from there, the potential thieves still will have no clue of your actual address. Of course as you say your address is listed on the registration slip that is left in the car. And if you have Homelink, they can simply roll right into your garage.

In that regard, I have LoJack with the “early warning” option which means as soon as a thief attempts to move the car I will receive a phone call, or if not answering, the cops will be called before the car gets towed anywhere.
I used a restaurant down the street from my home. I obviously know how to get home from there, so it's good enough.

Although my address is also available on my registration card in the glove box, so I'm not sure what's the point.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman
Although my address is also available on my registration card in the glove box, so I'm not sure what's the point.
I was concerned that if a thief believes nobody is home he can drive to your house and with your Homelink just drive into your garage, and then with easy access into the house clean the place out, (or worse if somebody is home).

Quick Reply: Changing Locations with NAV systems?