Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Where is my compass ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 08:21 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Beer Magazine
Umm here's my confusion. Since you have NAVI and you can either set it to Always have north up or ROTATE to North...you have a giant compass in the Navi...its the screen.
It’s not that simple. In my early ’08 you have just two choices for setting the compass on the nav screen: North Up and Heading Up.

For North Up “north” is nothing more than the top of the screen. The vehicle icon (red cursor arrow), however, will rotate and point in the car’s actual direction. The default direction indicator icon that says “N” on the lower left of the screen is not really showing north at all; it’s just pointing to the top of the screen and will not change regardless of the car’s actual direction. You can however, tap it to select the small, actual compass needle with the red side pointed to magnetic north.

For Heading Up the vehicle icon will always point up to the top of the screen. The small compass indicator on the lower left will rotate like an actual compass needle as described above. Of course, being so small it’s much harder to see than the large compass readout on the rear view mirror (for those of us who have them.) Additionally, if you select bird view map, you only have the Heading Up option.

In either case, I agree with movinon that there’s not much that is useful here as a decent compass. Now, as you have previously posted, you couldn't care less, but some others here may find this information useful.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:41 PM
britishmutt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtlg37
Got off the phone with the Quebec consumer office, Infiniti canada is not obligated to respect the writting on their wbesite or the pamphlet.

...INFINITI reserves the right to make changes at any time, without notice, in prices, colours, materials, equipment, specifications and models, and to discontinue models or equipment.
The usual caveat emptor, I suppose. Not exactly a satisfactory answer, I would say, but a pretty standard response. Is it reasonable to expect a potential buyer to rigorously check every detail of the car to ensure it matches the published specification?

mtlg: is there any evidence that perhaps the mirror has been replaced? I wonder if someone else, who perhaps bought a G with navi, hardballed the dealer about not also having a compass-mirror and so the dealer just stole the one from your car and swapped it out, to make the deal go through.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:03 PM
mtlg37

Originally Posted by britishmutt
The usual caveat emptor, I suppose. Not exactly a satisfactory answer, I would say, but a pretty standard response. Is it reasonable to expect a potential buyer to rigorously check every detail of the car to ensure it matches the published specification?

mtlg: is there any evidence that perhaps the mirror has been replaced? I wonder if someone else, who perhaps bought a G with navi, hardballed the dealer about not also having a compass-mirror and so the dealer just stole the one from your car and swapped it out, to make the deal go through.
There is not evidence that the mirror has been replaced, infiniti canada told me that'S how my car was built, with no compass.

Even if a custumer would have bought the car, there is no way in hell he could return it, we don't even have an anti-lemon policy in quebec.

I'm installing my summer OEM rims tomorrow spring came early this year !
Old 03-18-2010, 09:00 PM
pdarby

weird, I have a compass on the mirror and in my nav system. Must be special, lol
Old 03-18-2010, 09:40 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by pdarby
weird, I have a compass on the mirror and in my nav system. Must be special, lol
I see you have an '08. I believe you missed the fact that they took the mirror compass out starting in ’09 if you have nav, so you’re not special (well, I’m sure you are, but not in this case).