Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Where is my compass ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 09:41 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Blackjack
OP said he didn't have Nav though. Weird.
I don't think the original post mentioned no nav which accounted for the update. But I could be wrong.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:27 PM
Beer Magazine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chekov
What if it’s night time or a cloudy day? I would hate to see anyone drive into the ocean for that reason.

Actually you may want to lighten up a bit. We all agree that an auto compass is not a necessity. It’s just another convenience designed to enhance the driving experience. And if the OP paid for a car that is supposed to have one, he has every reason to question its not being there.
Who said I was upset? I was laughing at people that say they use a compass while driving and now more that it makes driving more pleasurable. Would that be a pleasure compass? Driving pleasure is the car. How it feels the connection to the road. The top down. Electronics don't add to driving pleasure
Old 02-17-2010, 12:36 AM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Beer Magazine
Who said I was upset? I was laughing at people that say they use a compass while driving and now more that it makes driving more pleasurable. Would that be a pleasure compass? Driving pleasure is the car. How it feels the connection to the road. The top down. Electronics don't add to driving pleasure
Well, you seemed to be upset at my meek attempt at humor. So be it.

But I do disagree about driving pleasure just being the car. To me the driving pleasure is enhanced by all the modern bells and whistles we can enjoy today like air conditioning, audio systems, memory settings, heated seats, Bluetooth, Homelink, voice recognition and yes, a compass. None of these has to do with the actual control of the car but it sure makes the driving experience more pleasurable to me.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:29 PM
Beer Magazine

Well, you seemed to be upset at my meek attempt at humor. So be it.

But I do disagree about driving pleasure just being the car. To me the driving pleasure is enhanced by all the modern bells and whistles we can enjoy today like air conditioning, audio systems, memory settings, heated seats, Bluetooth, Homelink, voice recognition and yes, a compass. None of these has to do with the actual control of the car but it sure makes the driving experience more pleasurable to me.
I disagree...driving pleasure is about driving. Cruising pleasure is about cruising. None include a compass.

I get more driving pleasure from my 1976 280z with no power steering, radio that doesn't work well and 150hp. I smile when I drive that because it's a driving pleasure. Electronics usually hide boring driving dynamics. But if you feel you are happier with back up sensors...that's fine by me.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:41 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

I disagree...driving pleasure is about driving. Cruising pleasure is about cruising. None include a compass.

I get more driving pleasure from my 1976 280z with no power steering, radio that doesn't work well and 150hp. I smile when I drive that because it's a driving pleasure. Electronics usually hide boring driving dynamics. But if you feel you are happier with back up sensors...that's fine by me.
Well, we’re not that far apart. I owned a ’81 280ZX 5 speed. It was a pleasure to drive too.

It didn’t have a compass though, so I added one, albeit an ugly stick on. You see, I was a navigator in the Navy (hence my avatar) and am a civilian pilot so I feel more at home with one. At any rate, I doubt that my pleasure in driving with a compass is any less than yours without one.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:21 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cereal2k
I don't think the original post mentioned no nav which accounted for the update. But I could be wrong.
Ahh.. Good call. I see that it was updated, so it could have been updated after you posted that.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:50 PM
Beer Magazine

Well, we’re not that far apart. I owned a ’81 280ZX 5 speed. It was a pleasure to drive too.

It didn’t have a compass though, so I added one, albeit an ugly stick on. You see, I was a navigator in the Navy (hence my avatar) and am a civilian pilot so I feel more at home with one. At any rate, I doubt that my pleasure in driving with a compass is any less than yours without one.
I have a compass, it's in the map on the Navi.

You receive a pass from me for being a navigator. You can have a compass taped to your hand and I won't make jokes

My Z history
1980 280ZX (in highschool)
2004 350Z Twin Turbo
1976 280Z
Attached Thumbnails Where is my compass ?-picture-5.jpg  
Old 02-18-2010, 03:54 PM
mtlg37

Called infinti canada today myself since my dealer couldn't solve my problem.

I was told my infiniti canada that my car was build without a compass. I told them when i bought the car all the informations available to me as a consumer was infiniti.ca website and their g37 convertible pamphlet, wich both state Auto dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink® Universal Transceiver and compass.

Their answer: Infiniti reserve the right to make any changes without notice. WOW, that's an easy way out!!
I'll get a call from the supervisor tomorrow, i hope he's gonna give me the right answer. I can't believe they are willing to loose a consumer for a simple rearview mirror, they should appologize to me for the time i'll loose at the dealer for the replacement.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:09 PM
Beer Magazine

Originally Posted by mtlg37
Called infinti canada today myself since my dealer couldn't solve my problem.

I was told my infiniti canada that my car was build without a compass. I told them when i bought the car all the informations available to me as a consumer was infiniti.ca website and their g37 convertible pamphlet, wich both state Auto dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink® Universal Transceiver and compass.

Their answer: Infiniti reserve the right to make any changes without notice. WOW, that's an easy way out!!
I'll get a call from the supervisor tomorrow, i hope he's gonna give me the right answer. I can't believe they are willing to loose a consumer for a simple rearview mirror, they should appologize to me for the time i'll loose at the dealer for the replacement.
How are they losing a customer if you own the car? You are being a little ridiculous with saying you won't buy a car because of some small listing. Get over the compass and drive the car and enjoy it. I'll send you a stick on compass if you stop.DOMO
Old 02-18-2010, 08:43 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

How are they losing a customer if you own the car? You are being a little ridiculous with saying you won't buy a car because of some small listing. Get over the compass and drive the car and enjoy it. I'll send you a stick on compass if you stop.DOMO
Wow, there you go again, now calling someone who wants a compass a “little ridiculous.” Now we’ve had members here who have voiced their personal dislike for items like navigation, TPMS or AT’s, but no one before has campaigned against compasses with such vigor. The guy wants an assessory that he thinks he paid for. What’s the big deal?
Old 02-19-2010, 02:07 AM
Idaho siirto

Wow, there you go again, now calling someone who wants a compass a “little ridiculous.” Now we’ve had members here who have voiced their personal dislike for items like navigation, TPMS or AT’s, but no one before has campaigned against compasses with such vigor. The guy wants an assessory that he thinks he paid for. What’s the big deal?
/Just stopping in to note that whenever [I notice] you have newly posted I always open that thread for a quick read, regardless of personal interest in the topic.
//Rarely leaves disappointed
///The fact that you're active here is one of a few consistent reasons that this place stays interesting for me despite the obvious (and expected) redundancies that take up space after 2.5 yrs or so of daily drive bys.
I like the cut of your jib
BTW, loves me meh Compass DuallyTM
(navi & on the mirror) heh
Old 02-19-2010, 02:19 AM
Gee37S

Which dealership are you dealing with?
Old 02-19-2010, 02:47 AM
Idaho siirto

Originally Posted by Gee37S
Which dealership are you dealing with?
If your asking re the compass? It was a non issue-it was just the they put it together when built (in 10/07 anyway).
/But if you're just asking what dealer I use because of where I (or you) live?
That would be Spokane. Have an excellent (and fortunate) relationship-as it would be a hike to have to hit 1 of the next 2 closest (Kirkland or Fife dealerships if I was not taken care of in Spokane). Bought in Beaverton-Best price at time but even more inconvenient location for service for me than Seattle.
//Feel free to PM if you want specific contact info or whatnot
Old 02-19-2010, 02:58 AM
Gee37S

Originally Posted by Idaho siirto
If your asking re the compass? It was a non issue-it was just the they put it together when built (in 10/07 anyway).
/But if you're just asking what dealer I use because of where I (or you) live?
That would be Spokane. Have an excellent (and fortunate) relationship-as it would be a hike to have to hit 1 of the next 2 closest (Kirkland or Fife dealerships if I was not taken care of in Spokane). Bought in Beaverton-Best price at time but even more inconvenient location for service for me than Seattle.
//Feel free to PM if you want specific contact info or whatnot
lol thanks for the reply but the question was aimed at the OP. I should have been more clear...
Old 02-19-2010, 03:09 AM
Idaho siirto

Originally Posted by Gee37S
lol thanks for the reply but the question was aimed at the OP. I should have been more clear...
No problem...It's late

Quick Reply: Where is my compass ?