Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Problem with iPhone phone book download and 2010 G37

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 08:16 PM
dopey
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with iPhone phone book download and 2010 G37

I've been trying to figure out what the deal with the 2010 and the iphone address book download. If I pair the phone it will download the phone book fine and everything seems okay. I can access the phone book via either voice commands or the console itself.

However at some point, all my contacts get garbled. They become long random numbers and characters. If I select the entry from the handset phonebook it'll show the proper contact information for my phonebook entries, but the names are completely garbled.

The only solution I've found is to delete my phone, and re-pair it, which means I have to rebuild the vehicle phone book as well.

Has anyone seen this problem and/or figured out a way to prevent it or fix it? Is there a way to clear the phone book and force a new download?
Old 02-11-2010, 12:03 AM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
which iPhone do you have?
Old 02-11-2010, 01:37 AM
dopey
Registered Member

3GS. Running 3.1.2 and 3.1.3, both had the same problem.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:16 AM
dopey
Registered Member

I think I figured out what causes it. When I pair my iphone as a phone, it works fine. If I also connect it as a audio device, the phone book gets garbled.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:44 PM
dopey
Registered Member

I may have found a workaround for the problem. it seems that if i pair the iphone as a handsfree phone first, then pair it as an audio device the phone book gets hosed. But if I pair as an audio device, then connect as a phone, so far, my handset phonebook looks normal.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:15 PM
allagaroo

Originally Posted by da mayor
which iPhone do you have?
Kenny, I have the same problem. Had contacts when I left dealership Friday but contacts garbled the next morning. If you do audio first as suggested I assume I need to remove audio device and hands free phone and reconnect. Is the audio device code 0000 or 1234? Other than that car is a blast. Can't wait to get over 1200 miles. Brand new iPhone. 3GS 32 gig latest version firmware.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:55 AM
dopey
Registered Member

Originally Posted by allagaroo
Kenny, I have the same problem. Had contacts when I left dealership Friday but contacts garbled the next morning. If you do audio first as suggested I assume I need to remove audio device and hands free phone and reconnect. Is the audio device code 0000 or 1234? Other than that car is a blast. Can't wait to get over 1200 miles. Brand new iPhone. 3GS 32 gig latest version firmware.
When you pair the device as an audio device (do it through the "bluetooth" menu on the settings page) you are prompted to input a passcode (on the infiniti touch screen, not on the phone). I just used 1234 same as the phone.

Once that's done, you can then "pair" the same device as a phone device. from the same menu area. The handsfree phone option will already list your phone device and just choose it from the list. This takes a few minutes, but eventually it paired as a phone device, works as an audio device AND my phone book wasn't horked. I'm planning on calling infiniti consumer affairs to let them know though as it's a pretty annoying bug.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:36 PM
dopey
Registered Member

FYI, I contacted and reported the problem to Infiniti Consumer Affairs. They opened a file and said they would send it along. I've never reported anything to infiniti consumer affairs, so no idea if they really care or not .

I was told that the iphone is not a fully supported bluetooth audio device with infiniti and this might be one of the reasons why but he told me they would look into it.

Otherwise, it's been an entire weekend and my workaround is still holding (handset phonebook still not corrupted).
Old 02-16-2010, 01:46 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Damn, I wish I could pair my iPhone phone book with my navigation...
Old 02-16-2010, 05:51 PM
allagaroo

Originally Posted by dopey
When you pair the device as an audio device (do it through the "bluetooth" menu on the settings page) you are prompted to input a passcode (on the infiniti touch screen, not on the phone). I just used 1234 same as the phone.

Once that's done, you can then "pair" the same device as a phone device. from the same menu area. The handsfree phone option will already list your phone device and just choose it from the list. This takes a few minutes, but eventually it paired as a phone device, works as an audio device AND my phone book wasn't horked. I'm planning on calling infiniti consumer affairs to let them know though as it's a pretty annoying bug.
I tried it and couldn't pair audio device. It was snowing so I tried it in my garage. Is it possible that the blue tooth signal is reduced indoors. It doesn't seem logical??????
Old 02-16-2010, 06:42 PM
dopey
Registered Member

Originally Posted by allagaroo
I tried it and couldn't pair audio device. It was snowing so I tried it in my garage. Is it possible that the blue tooth signal is reduced indoors. It doesn't seem logical??????
shouldn't matter. I assume your phone is inside the car with you right?
Did you delete the iphone from the car AND forget the car on the iphone?

If not you'll need to make sure you remove each device from the other. Otherwise it gets confused.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:54 AM
SCWells72

I'd also experienced this issue and was redirected to this very helpful thread. The first time I tried to do this, the problem wasn't gone. Just so I'm perfectly clear about the process, here's what I tried:

1. On my G37, delete my iPhone as a Bluetooth audio device (which also deleted it as a Bluetooth hands-free device).
2. On my iPhone, forget my G37 as a paired Bluetooth device (only one was listed even though I'd originally paired it for both hands-free and audio).
3. On my G37, connect to a Bluetooth audio device by choosing "No" from the first prompt and enter a PIN. I chose the same PIN that I use for hands-free (which has been changed from the default of 1234).
4. On my iPhone, pair the phone with the G37 through the Bluetooth settings. The two successfully paired.
5. On my G37, connect to a Bluetooth hands-free device by choosing "Yes" from the first prompt.

At this point I don't see an additional pairing option on my iPhone. It seemed that by pairing for audio it also paired for hands-free. Also when I turned off my car and then turned it back on, after a few seconds the car said "Updating phone book" and my contact list was corrupted again.

Next I ran through this same process with one notable exception...I chose a different PIN for audio than I did for hands-free. Then I explicitly connected my G37 to my iPhone through the Bluetooth menu at the end of the process. I turned off the car completely, turned it back on, and this time after updating the phone book things looked good (no corrupted contacts). I'm not sure if this is the right workaround, though, or if it's going to end up with corrupted contacts again a few times down the road.

Any additional details are appreciated. It could be that I'm there now, but if not I'd definitely love to hear the right way to do this.

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2010, 01:49 PM
dopey
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SCWells72
I'd also experienced this issue and was redirected to this very helpful thread. The first time I tried to do this, the problem wasn't gone. Just so I'm perfectly clear about the process, here's what I tried:

1. On my G37, delete my iPhone as a Bluetooth audio device (which also deleted it as a Bluetooth hands-free device).
2. On my iPhone, forget my G37 as a paired Bluetooth device (only one was listed even though I'd originally paired it for both hands-free and audio).
3. On my G37, connect to a Bluetooth audio device by choosing "No" from the first prompt and enter a PIN. I chose the same PIN that I use for hands-free (which has been changed from the default of 1234).
4. On my iPhone, pair the phone with the G37 through the Bluetooth settings. The two successfully paired.
5. On my G37, connect to a Bluetooth hands-free device by choosing "Yes" from the first prompt.
So the way I tried it was following the same steps to connect the iPhone as an audio device.
Then instead of "re-pairing" the iPhone as a handsfree device, I went to the "Connected Devices" menu, and from there selected hands-free phone, and then connected to the iPhone that was paired as an audio device. It sat on the "Connecting to... " message (can't remember the exact message) for a long time, like a few minutes, but it finally then did connect as a phone and my phone book hasn't been corrupted since.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:56 PM
SCWells72

Originally Posted by dopey
So the way I tried it was following the same steps to connect the iPhone as an audio device.
Then instead of "re-pairing" the iPhone as a handsfree device, I went to the "Connected Devices" menu, and from there selected hands-free phone, and then connected to the iPhone that was paired as an audio device. It sat on the "Connecting to... " message (can't remember the exact message) for a long time, like a few minutes, but it finally then did connect as a phone and my phone book hasn't been corrupted since.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I did on my second take. Hopefully I'll have the same results as you. Thanks for the follow-up!

EDIT: I just went out to see what it would do and a few seconds after pairing it updated the phone book and was corrupted. I repeated the process exactly as you described it above (which I'm 99% sure is what I did the first time), so we'll give it another shot. Is there any way I can stop it from pairing as an audio device? It appears to pair as an audio device now no matter what I do, even if I remove the pairing and re-create it for hands-free only. Perhaps that has something to do with it?

Last edited by SCWells72; 02-17-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:04 PM
dopey
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SCWells72
Yeah, that's pretty much what I did on my second take. Hopefully I'll have the same results as you. Thanks for the follow-up!

EDIT: I just went out to see what it would do and a few seconds after pairing it updated the phone book and was corrupted. I repeated the process exactly as you described it above (which I'm 99% sure is what I did the first time), so we'll give it another shot. Is there any way I can stop it from pairing as an audio device? It appears to pair as an audio device now no matter what I do, even if I remove the pairing and re-create it for hands-free only. Perhaps that has something to do with it?
I always have to manually pair as an audio device. If I forget the car from my phone and delete the iphone from my car when I pair as a phone, I can't use it as an audio device unless I go to the connected devices menu and explicitly add it as an audio device. For a while I thought I'd just run that way because I can always just plug the iphone in to the USB port, but on a whim I decided to try my latest pairing order, and it worked. So far so good *knock on wood*

Quick Reply: Problem with iPhone phone book download and 2010 G37