Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Problem with iPhone phone book download and 2010 G37

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 11:33 PM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
it's only an issue with the connections of iPhones... no other phones are having problems. I wonder if there is any software to upgrade in the iPhone itself. I'll keep everyne posted b/c you're not alone in this problem.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:56 AM
ripleyIII

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've decided to buy the new iPhone (is it 4G?) when it comes out in June. Hopefully this newer operating system will solve the problems --- if the problem is in the iPhone. Frankly, it worked with my G35, but not my new G37. So I don't think it's the iPhone.

But again, I am reserving my final judgment until I get the new phone.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:05 AM
mangoface

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
For people with iPhones and a Mobileme account it would be amazing if you could just log into your mobile me account using the Nav display on the car and all your contacts come down from the cloud and into the contact display.

Only need to log in onetime-and each time you start the car it would sync to the cloud in the same way the iPhone and iPad contacts sync using the mobileme cloud computing server.

Stop me if I'm thinking too far out of the box here...

I don't own a Black Berry but don't they use a similar cloud computing set up...?

There could be a list of servers in the display and you just choose the one you subscribe to, enter your email address and password and you will then be prompted to download ALL
contacts or faves, your contacts then appear in the correct format on the screen.
You could then dial the numbers using voice activation.

I'm sure you'll let me know if I'm way off base with this concept.

-M-

P.S I've been hearing that mobileme may soon be a free service.

Last edited by mangoface; 06-12-2010 at 05:40 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:18 AM
britishmutt

Originally Posted by mangoface
For people with iPhones and a Mobileme account it would be amazing if you could just log into your mobile me account using the Nav display on the car and all your contacts come down from the cloud and into the contact display.

I'm sure you'll let me know if I'm way off base with this concept.
No, it's a fine idea. Really cars these days should come with the option to have 3G internet access so you could have contact syncing, navigation with always-up-to-date maps, POIs, & traffic, streaming music, VoIP, you name it. Technologically it's perfectly feasible but car manufacturers are always behind the curve on this stuff.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:24 PM
mangoface

Originally Posted by britishmutt
No, it's a fine idea. Really cars these days should come with the option to have 3G internet access so you could have contact syncing, navigation with always-up-to-date maps, POIs, & traffic, streaming music, VoIP, you name it. Technologically it's perfectly feasible but car manufacturers are always behind the curve on this stuff.
Agreed..
They do seem to be a good 2-3 years behind the curve.
I noticed on my 2010 G37 coupe they dropped the tech package that was on my 2008 version of the same car- still not sure why they would do that.

By the way are you a Brit as your screen name suggests..?
I was born and raised out there.
But once I got a look at the Cali landscape- i knew there was no going back.

-M-
Old 06-12-2010, 12:31 PM
britishmutt

Originally Posted by mangoface
Agreed..

By the way are you a Brit as your screen name suggests..?
I was born and raised out there.
But once I got a look at the Cali landscape- i knew there was no going back.

-M-
Yup, also in Cali
Old 06-12-2010, 12:39 PM
mangoface

Originally Posted by britishmutt
Yup, also in Cali
That's great- there's allot of us out here in LA.
As much as I love my home country, you really can't beat this landscape and what it has to offer especially if you're just a little bit ambitious.

I'm getting my Citizenship this year.

-m-

Ok what time do the Brits kick off today ?
I hope I'm not missing it.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:48 PM
mangoface

What a great weekend for sports-
The footie- the Formula 1 racing in Canada- then the Lakers-Celtics game on Sunday.
My poor Tivo will be earning it's money over the next 48 hours.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:28 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
FWIW, the iPhone 4 seems to work fine... my handset phonebook from the 3G isn't garbled anymore. But I'll give it another week or so.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:34 PM
SCWells72

Yeah, I'm trying it with iOS4 on an iPhone 3G right now and so far, so good. I get my iPhone 4 next week so I'm glad to hear it's showing promising results as well.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:11 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
maybe it's just 2010's...but I didn't think you could download your phonebook to the G from an iPhone? did I really miss something? I have a 2009 if that makes a difference
Old 06-23-2010, 10:38 PM
SCWells72

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
maybe it's just 2010's...but I didn't think you could download your phonebook to the G from an iPhone? did I really miss something? I have a 2009 if that makes a difference
No, the 2010 allows you to access the iPhone handset phonebook (and previous calls, missed calls, etc.) from the car, but there's a bug that causes them to become corrupted after a few transfers. Those of us with 2010s and iPhones have mostly worked around this by transferring the handset phonebook then disabling auto-updates. Info from the phone can get a bit stale over time, but at least it doesn't end up corrupted. Now we're evaluating whether iOS4/iPhone 4 solves this issue.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:52 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SCWells72
No, the 2010 allows you to access the iPhone handset phonebook (and previous calls, missed calls, etc.) from the car, but there's a bug that causes them to become corrupted after a few transfers. Those of us with 2010s and iPhones have mostly worked around this by transferring the handset phonebook then disabling auto-updates. Info from the phone can get a bit stale over time, but at least it doesn't end up corrupted. Now we're evaluating whether iOS4/iPhone 4 solves this issue.
oh wow, ok I was gonna say I was 99% sure I had read through the entire manual and figured out I couldn't transfer the PB, but then I got a glimmer of hope when I saw this thread haha oh well...
Old 06-25-2010, 11:33 AM
britishmutt

Originally Posted by SCWells72
Yeah, I'm trying it with iOS4 on an iPhone 3G right now and so far, so good. I get my iPhone 4 next week so I'm glad to hear it's showing promising results as well.
The contacts on my 3G with iOS4 so far seem OK. Hopefully it will stay that way. As for bluetooth audio, it's better in that it doesn't drop-out every two seconds, but it does drop out randomly every few minutes.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:58 PM
mangoface

Picked up the iPhone4 (After a 6 hour wait in a crazy line that just kept getting longer as the day wore on-yeah I know!!)

Did the sync with the 4 week old 2010 G Sports Coups and Blaaaam!!
All the contacts show up on the nav screen-no more gibberish.

So far so good.
Next I'll try to place a call using the voice activated system to see if it can find a number in the iphone4 handset phonebook.

Have a great weekend people.

-Mango-

Quick Reply: Problem with iPhone phone book download and 2010 G37