Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Problem with iPhone phone book download and 2010 G37

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 03:36 PM
allagaroo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just redid the pairing and the contact list is fine. Thanks for the procedure Dopey(no disrespect intended). Hope it holds.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:56 PM
dopey
Registered Member

well. So much for that.
My phone book showed up corrupted this evening. Lasted about 5 days. I'm going to call infiniti consumer affairs again to tell them that the workaround didn't last.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:25 PM
SCWells72

Bummer. Well, I guess the standing workaround will be to configure it not to sync the address book on every connection once the proper one has been transferred. My contacts change every 6-9 months top anyway. Hopefully they'll fix it soon...
Old 02-18-2010, 09:58 AM
jwest54

Originally Posted by dopey
I may have found a workaround for the problem. it seems that if i pair the iphone as a handsfree phone first, then pair it as an audio device the phone book gets hosed. But if I pair as an audio device, then connect as a phone, so far, my handset phonebook looks normal.
I would love to know how you get the phonebook transfered. I tried bluetooth and got no where. Do I need to use USB connection?
Old 02-18-2010, 10:07 AM
allagaroo

Originally Posted by jwest54
I would love to know how you get the phonebook transfered. I tried bluetooth and got no where. Do I need to use USB connection?
Don't require USB connection. Try procedures recommended in this thread (Dopey, SCWells72.) It worked for me so far.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:53 AM
dopey
Registered Member

I called infiniti consumer affairs to update my reference number with the info that my workaround didn't stick Anyone else seeing this problem, please call 1-800-662-6200 and report it. I'm hoping that the more reports there are, the more likely they'll fix the problem.

Originally Posted by jwest54
jwest54, the phonebook transfer only works in the new '10 integration. I don't know if it's nav specific either. So if you have a previous year model or don't have nav, take all this with a grain of salt . The bluetooth integration now has separate vehicle and handset phonebooks so if you pair a bluetooth device and it supports phonebook syncing you'll get two phonebooks, one on the vehicle and one on the handset. Look under the "Phone" menu and if your system supports it you'll see "Vehicle Phonebook" and "Handset Phonebook"
Old 02-18-2010, 01:47 PM
britishmutt

Two questions:

1. This problem only occurs if you attempt to use bluetooth both for handsfree and music streaming, correct? In other words, if I use bluetooth for handsfree and the USB connection for music, there won't be any corruption to the contacts?

2. Does the 2010 G37 charge the iPhone 3G/3GS through the USB port? I don't want to see any of this 'unsupported accessory' nonsense!

Cheers,

bm~
Old 02-18-2010, 02:11 PM
allagaroo

I called customer service and spoke to a tech. and I got the feeling that they feel its a phone problem and not an Infiniti problem. They seemed to be aware of the problem. Solution seemed to be to "live with it". I explained to him the workaround but that it didn't seem to be holding and that it was suggested to not use auto download and see if that worked. I gave him the info on the forum and the thread and he was going to look into it and asked if he could call me next week. Thanks to this forum I gave him more info than he gave to me.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:32 PM
dopey
Registered Member

Originally Posted by britishmutt
Two questions:

1. This problem only occurs if you attempt to use bluetooth both for handsfree and music streaming, correct? In other words, if I use bluetooth for handsfree and the USB connection for music, there won't be any corruption to the contacts?
My initial testing seemed to show this to be the case, however, I didn't test it for an extended period of time. Now that my workaround seemed to fail after 5 days, I'm not certain JUST using bluetooth for handsfree won't cause the problem. I'm going to test that theory today. Will pair my iPhone JUST as a phone and see what happens

2. Does the 2010 G37 charge the iPhone 3G/3GS through the USB port? I don't want to see any of this 'unsupported accessory' nonsense!
It does charge through the USB port, however it pops up the unsupported accessory message and prompts you to go into airplane mode to reduce interference. I choose no and everything still works fine.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:35 PM
britishmutt

It does charge through the USB port, however it pops up the unsupported accessory message and prompts you to go into airplane mode to reduce interference. I choose no and everything still works fine.
Good to know, but I'm disappointed that Clarion didn't fix this already. It's not like these phones are particularly new to the market.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:05 AM
dopey
Registered Member

okay, I paired my iPhone as just a phone, no audio device. Phone book corrupted already . There's go to be some method to the madness here, but I haven't figured out what to do to consistently cause the corruption.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:43 AM
SCWells72

Yeah, mine went about a day without corruption and then got corrupted last night. Like I said, I'm going to have it sync contacts once and then disable sync on each connection. That should act as an effective workaround for this while folks keep hammering on it.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:03 AM
dopey
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SCWells72
Yeah, mine went about a day without corruption and then got corrupted last night. Like I said, I'm going to have it sync contacts once and then disable sync on each connection. That should act as an effective workaround for this while folks keep hammering on it.
did you disable contact sync on the phone and auto downloading on the car? or just one or the other? I did both this time around. I seem to recall trying the disable sync once on the phone and it didn't solve the problem, but that was in the first couple of days of noticing it, so I hadn't started doing tests scientifically yet.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:53 PM
SCWells72

did you disable contact sync on the phone and auto downloading on the car? or just one or the other? I did both this time around. I seem to recall trying the disable sync once on the phone and it didn't solve the problem, but that was in the first couple of days of noticing it, so I hadn't started doing tests scientifically yet.
I disabled auto-download on the car. Now I don't see "Updating contacts" (or whatever that message was) on the nav screen anymore when the phone pairs. Kind of a crappy workaround, but certainly acceptable until they get a fix out there given the alternatives.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:59 PM
allagaroo

Originally Posted by SCWells72
I disabled auto-download on the car. Now I don't see "Updating contacts" (or whatever that message was) on the nav screen anymore when the phone pairs. Kind of a crappy workaround, but certainly acceptable until they get a fix out there given the alternatives.
I went through the workaround and repaired iPHONE successfully and eliminated corruption. Disabled the autosynch for the handset and this morning it was corrupted again. VERY ANNOYING!!!!!!!!!!!! I paired my wife's phone yesterday and I don't know if that was a factor in getting the corruption back.
J

Quick Reply: Problem with iPhone phone book download and 2010 G37