Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

2010 G37 USB Port Video Formats / Devices

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 06:48 PM
G35Coupe6MT05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 G37 USB Port Video Formats / Devices

Just got a 2010 G37S 6MT, it does not have the aux audio/video rcas any more. It has one USB port for an ipod or "other compatible devices". I called Infiniti and they did not have a list of what devices these are. When you plug in an ipod it works just like the old ipod interface, you have the same controls and it reads the info the same way. The dealership told me that it should play video from the ipod but it does not. It does not list any video stuff from the ipod, just music. I then hooked up a 1tb external hd with raw dvd formats on it, it just said check usb / ipod device. It plays a DVD through the front slot perfectly with great options and controls. I then tried a usb stick with some songs on it and a dvd file. When I put it in it asked if I wanted to play music or videos. If I say videos it takes a moment and says unplayable format. I then put an avi file on the usb stick and it saw there was a video but said unplayable again. I tried an ipod format mpeg-4 video and it didn't even see there was a video. It will play music fine from the stick and show all the songs info but I can't get video to work. I asked Infiniti if they could tell me what format the car will play and they had no idea.
I'm hoping someone has messed with this and come up with some better info then I have. Will a 2.5 external hd be recognized and what format do the videos have to be in? I'm hoping I can connect a 500gb drive so that it will hold more then a few movies. It was so much simplier to just connect a video ipod through the rca jacks but hopefully they thought this through and eliminated it for video quality reasons.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:05 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
i think the USB is for pics and music only ... not videos...
Old 01-20-2010, 07:36 PM
G35Coupe6MT05

In the manual it has details on what functions are available when playing videos through the usb port. Just has nothing on what formats it can play. Also when you put in the usb device with videos and music on it it ask which you want to play.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:48 AM
Renegar

Wonder what they mean by "other compatible devices"?
Old 01-22-2010, 05:01 AM
Raven

iphones maybe.. or ipod knockoffs lol..
i guess wmv and maybe mp4 are the formats it should play..
Old 01-22-2010, 08:27 AM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is your car in park with the emergency brake engaged when you are trying to play movies via the USB stick?
Old 01-22-2010, 01:06 PM
JLai

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They shoulda kept the CF card...
Old 01-23-2010, 10:30 PM
G35Coupe6MT05

Update... It can play dvix avi & asf video files. That is actually in the manual but the guy from tech support called me back and told me that. He could not tell me what other campatible devices meant but that it should work with some hards drives. This was the hard part. The drive must be in fat32 format and under 60gb. The 60gb part took a long time to figure out but it will work if you create one primary partition under 60gb and leave the rest unallocated. I found the wd passport drive fits perfectly in the center console but the smallest they come in is 160gb so 100gb is just wasted. Hope this helps someone, Infiniti should have had all this in the manual.
Also does anyone have a wiring diagram for the new navigation system. The vss and pb wires are not in the same place as the 08/09. I really don't want to do trial and error to figure it out.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:21 PM
G35Coupe6MT05

Update... downloaded 2010 fx service manual. Found locations of the vss and pb, g37 colors are the same as 08/09 but in different pins. They matched up with the fx.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:12 PM
hieuster

hmm is exFAT same thing as FAT32? Windows 7 doesn't give me any other options besides that and NTFS. Anyways, I tried formatting my 60gb (55.8) 2.5 external HD to exFAT and put music on it, but the head unit says Check Ipod or USB Device when i plugged it in.. There must be something I'm doing wrong. Any suggestions?
Old 01-24-2010, 10:15 PM
G35Coupe6MT05

exfat is fat64, windows does not give you the option to format in fat32, you can use the dos promt or d/l a program like swissknife to format in fat32, just google it
Old 02-04-2010, 11:32 PM
hieuster

thanks, i got it working now, but I have one slight inconvenience. If I add additional music to the external hd after the first initial loading, the head unit doesn't seem to show the folder and I have to reformat the drive and add all of my music again. Seems like I can only do add stuff on the HD once and anything after that won't be recognized by the system.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:41 PM
G35Coupe6MT05

I've been battling the exact same problem, I'm thinking of getting a 32g or 64g flash drive. There are some cheap ones on ebay. The harddrive will just not consistantly work. If you find anything else let know. My next step will be to talk to a tech guy at infiniti and see what drives they have tested.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:27 PM
dopey
Registered Member

Originally Posted by uwnav
Thanks for the info; I have a 16 GB flash drive, and works decently well.
So there's two things I'd like to investigate

1) Where is the hard drive located? And how hard would it be to get to it? (I know this is pretty ambitious, but I'd like to put the thoughts to rest!)

2) Does anybody know details about how Infiniti communicates with the iPods? Are they just using a mounted hard-drive, and indexing based on that. Or are they using the AiR mode?
If the harddrive is similar to the '07, it's actually part of the head unit. You have to take the entire thing apart. Back when the '07 came out someone on g35driver.com played around with it and it appeared to be running QNX, so if you're wanting to manipulate data on the drive, I know of no write capable free/opensource tools.

The infiniti must use AiR mode, because it puts the ipod into the "OK to disconnect" screen and then locks out any actual control on the ipod itself. The basic iPod Remote mode doesn't disable ipod control.

Looking at this thread and some of the other threads, I'm glad that the USB port is there and at least it works with iPods/iPhones, but I'm wondering just how many other devices it'll work with well, and just how limited the support is and how much of a pain in the *** this is going to be to have the analog aux inputs deleted on the 2010. At least with analog inputs you're guaranteed to be able to hook up just about any device in the future. This USB interface might have a somewhat limited lifespan, especially if apple decides to change the way the ipod protocol works.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:36 PM
LightsOut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont care if I have to put a mini disc player in my center console, I just want to play videos.

Quick Reply: 2010 G37 USB Port Video Formats / Devices