Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Help Need Help/Advice on what sound components to upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 08:30 PM
jbrady3324

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help/Advice on what sound components to upgrade

I just recently bought 2009 Infiniti g37xs SEDAN w/ Premium and Nav. The bose sound system is just okay. Never been a bose fan. Anyways, I have been out of the car audio loop for years now (moved to home theater audio). I do not want to spend a fortune upgrading the sound but I would like to replace the components that will give me the best bang for my buck (up to $1000 budget roughly). I am using an iPod Classic for most of my music. 95% of the audio is lossless, however I do understand I am bypassing the Burr Brown Dac

What components should I target to upgrade? And what brand/model would you suggest? Feel free to suggest a system for under $1K. Keep in mind that I am not a basshead. I rather clear punchy bass. If I can, I would love to leverage the sub enclosure(s) in the car, however I am not opposed to buying new enclosure(s).

Ideally I am looking for a workflow of how to upgrade and install the system -- Some sample questions:
1) If I add a JL sub and JL amp in the trunk, what happens to the Bose Amp? Does this amp power all the speakers and subwoofers in the car?
2) What brand speakers and tweeters would be an upgrade over the bose speakers?

Thanks
John

Last edited by jbrady3324; 01-19-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:05 AM
jbrady3324

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also -- is it possible to leverages the audio/power wires in the car or will I need to run new wires?

Right now I am thinking of grabbing a JL 10wX sub and JL 250.1 amp (~225). After that, what speakers should I replace in the car and what brand should I look at?
Old 01-23-2010, 01:48 AM
Dieseldoug22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You are on the right track with the JL amp and sub combo. Check on 4080 enclosures for the box. I personally have a JL 500.1 and Audiobahn sub.

For the power definitely run new wires. For the signal there are 2 schools of thought. You can tap off the Bose system's woofer amp output to the JL amp for your signal. Or you can get a signal from the line going into the Bose amp. Your choice as to having the Bose system process the signal or the JL process the signal. Since you are only dealing with 150 Hz of the spectrum, I don't think it really matters.

I am not a bass head either and just wanted to add to the bottom end. I went with the output from the woofer amp and it works great for me. More than enough bass and have a level control **** on the signal also.

Just remember to get the remote on trigger wire from a separate switched circuit. The trigger to the Bose amp is only 10 volts and the JL amp sometimes doesn't read it.