Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Help Satellite reception

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 11:52 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Satellite reception

Just wondering if this is normal? As soon as I start backing into my garage, I lose my satellite signal? As soon as that butt ('vert) is out of the sunlight the signal disappears. Is that normal for satellite reception? This is not an underground car park, it is my attached garage.

I tried a search about six different ways but couldn't find anything.

Thanks for any info.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:00 AM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah pretty much, as soon as that antenna loses sight of the sky you lose signal.

It used to happen to me going under overpasses and stuff too.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:54 AM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes this is normal. whether I pull into my garage, parking garage or an overpass I loose XM reception.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:15 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I hardly ever lost signal in my G37... but My parents new Town and Country Van and My new Ford Edge... I lose signals in those by just going under a bridge, its crazy how weak Chrysler and Ford's Sat Radio Antennas are compared to Infiniti... so just be thankful you have what you have cause there's ALOT worse out there...
Old 01-04-2010, 09:48 AM
ShyTown91
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah this happens to me too. Not for all the channels but I lose reception quality in my home garage as well
Old 01-04-2010, 11:10 AM
mrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my Sat does the same in my attached garage, and under overpasses or in tunnels. There is even one particular spot close to my house for no apparent reason I can see, it disappears every time I drive thru...??? but still beats a gazillion commercials on regular radio!!
Old 01-04-2010, 11:28 AM
Shane D
Premier Member

Question

Thanks for all the replies! So how does it work in homes? I was thinking about subscribing, after my trial period ends. I thought that you could just buy the little radio at Best Buy and plug it into your home receiver? If so, why would that work but not the car antenna?

Or are home and car two different types of sat radio?

I have sat radio at home via my dish (Bell ExpressVu) and love it, but can not take it in the car or to work. If this could cover car AND work I would likely sign up and a buy a receiver for work.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:48 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
you can call up xm and run a signal check but it does vary upon location
Old 01-04-2010, 01:45 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Shane D
Thanks for all the replies! So how does it work in homes? I was thinking about subscribing, after my trial period ends. I thought that you could just buy the little radio at Best Buy and plug it into your home receiver? If so, why would that work but not the car antenna?

Or are home and car two different types of sat radio?

I have sat radio at home via my dish (Bell ExpressVu) and love it, but can not take it in the car or to work. If this could cover car AND work I would likely sign up and a buy a receiver for work.
You typically run your home XM antenna to a nearby window or run a cable to an antenna mounted on your roof. Satellite radio requires a direct line of sight to receive signals just like satellite TV does.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:43 AM
Shane D
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Black Betty
You typically run your home XM antenna to a nearby window or run a cable to an antenna mounted on your roof. Satellite radio requires a direct line of sight to receive signals just like satellite TV does.
So, not quite as easy as I had hoped. I am waiting on a reply back from Sirius to see what my options are. It's funny but I was all excited to get a car with an ipod interface and then I immediately start lusting after sat radio. I guess some humans are just never satisfied.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:30 PM
XMMAN

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It really depends on where you live.. In many of the larger cities across the united states Both Satellite providers have a network of ground repeaters to boost the signal. It can also depend on which way your garages faces and the materials used during construction.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:32 PM
XMMAN

Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
I hardly ever lost signal in my G37... but My parents new Town and Country Van and My new Ford Edge... I lose signals in those by just going under a bridge, its crazy how weak Chrysler and Ford's Sat Radio Antennas are compared to Infiniti... so just be thankful you have what you have cause there's ALOT worse out there...

It is not a matter of which car company has a better antenna. The Infiniti is receiving signal from the XM satellite network and the other vehicles you listed are obtaining their signal from the Sirius network. Even though the companies have merged both networks are still operational in the sky.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:48 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My signal sucks, goes out just driving down the road. The lesson here is that if you add a CF roof cap you need to remove the existing antenae cover.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:30 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

I would lose the signal just driving up I-89 in central Vermont due to mountains. This truly requires line of sight between the antenna and the satellite.