Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Help After Sub/amp install car wouldnt start

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 10:53 AM
weetodid09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After Sub/amp install car wouldnt start

I'm a new member, but I have been browsing for a while now. The search for nonmembers wasn't working so I decided to register

I have to questions about sub/amp install and I'm a noob.

1.) I am tapping into wire 8 and 9 from the bose amp for my amp inputs. I have a dual RCA cable that came with my kit. How should I connect the positive and negatives to the RCA? So I have 2 wires from bose amp, and 4 wires to connect them to. Right now I have the positive from the bose going to both positives on the dual RCA, and the negative from the bose going to both negatives on the RCA. Is that correct? The subs are moving, but they are really distorted and I had a little bit of a electrical problem following ( second question)

2.) After I had everything setup, and the sub was bumping (with bad distortion) I decided to call it a night. So I went to reset my windows cause they werent rolling all the way up. Well then the amp started flickering between on and protection mode. Turned the car off cause I had no idea what was happening. I went to turn the car back to ON, and it died. I disconnected battery, disconnected everything from the amp, and tried again and got nothing. I tried to actually start the car, and only got maybe half a crank. Ended up jumping the car, to get it started.

Question is, what happened? I thought maybe there was short but I couldnt find anything. Is it possible that I have a bad ground and it somehow threw everything off. Or did I drain my battery somehow?

The odd thing is that I could get the car to the ACC state and the radio played. But as soon as I hit ON, it crapped out.

Sorry for the long first post, but I dont wanna hook it back up like that if its wrong.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:46 PM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is the car still not starting? or was this just a one time occurence
Old 12-30-2009, 04:18 PM
weetodid09

It happened last night. I unplugged the amp, before jumping the car and getting it running.

I havent tried to reconnect it yet, so I dont know.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Dieseldoug22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The amp wiring looks good. Just to confirm. You are tapping off of the 8 and 9 wires of the woofer amp, not the Bose amp. The woofer amp is the smaller one. Run the Sky Blue (8) wire to the center pins on both RCA's. And the Violet (9) wire to the outer ring wire of the RCA's. I think those are the wire colors.

As for the distortion, is the gain of the amp adjusted correctly. If it is up too high it will distort.

And the battery. Did you have the car running when you were testing it. If not you might have just killed the battery. And the Amp On signal wire into the BOSE and woofer amp are only like 10 volts so you will probably need to run a new trigger wire from some ACC regulated fuse.

Hope this helps. Any other details would help us figure out what happened.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:31 AM
weetodid09

I reconnected it, made sure all my connections were good, and now its working.

When I was testing it, I just had the Car on ACC. So I think your right about me just killing the battery. Hopefully lol.

So far I have only been using the stereo with the car running, so I think I will want to test more with just having the car on, not running.

Has anyone else had to run a different trigger?