Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Help JL CLean Sweep Users: anyone see this issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 01:33 AM
groovinater23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JL CLean Sweep Users: anyone see this issue?

Hey everyone,

I recently posted about my install issues while trying to do a system without using a signal processor. I already owned a Clean Sweep from my last car so I installed it today which solved the audio signal distortion and interference issues I was having prior. Now I'm getting some issues with the Clean Sweep and I'm wondering if it's my equipment having issues or if it's a compatibility issue with the Bose audio signal or something? Maybe someone can help me...

The clean sweep detects the signal from the head unit and turns the amp on fine. The system sounds great. When I turn the car's ignition or accessory switch to the off position I get some odd behavior. I get a loud pop through the speakers (Like you used to get back in the day with cheap Jensen amps or the like at shut off) but then I get a buzzing sound through the speakers until the clean sweep finally shuts down like 20 seconds later. The sound I get changes in intensity as the lights fade on and as the car does it's various shut down operations. Clearly I'm picking up interference off of the various electrical components in the car. Oddly, it doesn't happen while the stereo is turned on and playing music

The only thing I could think of was my ground and 12 volt sources for the clean sweep? I grounded and powered the Clean Sweep off of the Bose harness. Getting late so I will try and change that tomorrow, but thought I'd put this out there to see if anyone has any similar problems using a clean sweep with a bose setup or if they might be able to offer some good advice. I'm so damn close to getting this thing finished and dialed in!

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:24 AM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd use a solidly connected ground to the chasis.

Also, as far as I know, the "12V" going to the Bose amp isn't 12V, it's more like 8 to 10V, which is why many people can't use it as a remote amp turn-on.

There's a true switched 12V lead in a harness towards the front and on the right of the trunk. Get a cheapo meter from the Shack and find it in there. I used it for an aux fan for the trunk.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:33 PM
groovinater23

So I got the wiring to the clean sweep changed so that the the power leads are tied to my 12 volt battery direct source and the ground is the same as the amp, and I still have the same problems.

I'm gonna go in and disconnect the rca's from the amp and see if the noise is coming from the audio signal side, which I'm 99% sure it is. I'm sure there's an answer here somewhere, but it's really odd that the signal is perfectly clear when the system is on with the car running or not. Only when the power to the car is turned off does it give me this issue. The loud pops through the system at shut down are really annoying too and likely not good for the equipment.

The problem here is that the clean sweep stays on for like 20 seconds after the stereo turns off because of the signal sense technology not wanting to unintentionally shut the system down during a lull in the music. My thoughts as a work around were to just use an accessory on for the amp's remote turn on and maybe even the clean sweep if I turn the signal sense off. That way as soon as the power goes off, the amp goes off and all I can do is hope the amp shuts down quick enough to not send the pops through the speakers. This creates the scenario where the amp is on whenever the car is on, but I've had system like that before and I have the stereo on 99% of the time anyway. I guess I could use PAC tr4 but it seems like the clean sweep should be doing what that does. Just want to get this thing right.

Any thoughts anyone?
Old 12-09-2009, 02:48 PM
groovinater23

I was just reading through the Clean Sweep manual and it says it should be shutting off as soon as the accessory power to the clean sweep is cut and I'm pretty sure mine isn't doing that because when I had it installed the original way off the Bose harness I checked the accessory power lead before I connected it and I know it was an ignition/accessory on power source. WTF!!!
Old 12-09-2009, 05:24 PM
groovinater23

Praise the audio gods...I fixed it! It looks like all the leads I thought were 12volt switched for the clean sweep were either not switched at all or low voltage. I actually used the white #20 wire from the bose harness as my accessory power for the clean sweep and all problems went away (for now any way, I only tested it once in the parking lot at work during lunch before I had to get back to my desk). LOL! Running to radio shack at lunch and leaning out of my trunk at work. Too funny.

As a side note, the BOSE diagram at the top of the audio forum threw me off a few times during this install. Some more details might be helpful for others to avoid some of pitfalls I ran into...anyway

Thanks to everyone on here who chimed in with help! If that truly fixes it, I can rest for a while and stop tinkering until I feel the need for more HP's but that's a whole other story
Old 12-10-2009, 12:02 AM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
awesome. i hope that fixed it!