Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Does the premium package sound system suck?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 10:05 PM
2009Black

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the premium package sound system suck?

Or is it just me? My wife's CTS-V has a Bose system that sounds freaking fantastic. I was in a new Hybrid Ford Fusion today (company car) and turned the stereo way up, sounded great! Don't think it was Bose, not sure what it was really. Anyway my premium packaged sedan doesn't sound as good as either of these cars. I also have this annoying sub rattle in the rear package shelf that I need to get fixed. It's like my whole system sounds underpowered or muffled or something. I have to turn the volume up about halfway just to get decent sound out of it and even at nearly full volume the bass doesn't thump like these other two cars I mentioned. Do the standard audio settings need to be tweaked or what? I believe I have "Driver's stage" audio enabled.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:46 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Do the sedans still have the drivers audio stage feature? Some say it sounds better with it turned off.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:07 PM
2009Black

Originally Posted by wakeboardr116
Do the sedans still have the drivers audio stage feature? Some say it sounds better with it turned off.
They do. I will try turning it off. Mine has been on since day 1 I think.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:34 AM
QuickSilver08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The sound system in the g37 whips the crap out of the bose system in the vette. 100X clearer and crisper. Almost rivals the sound system I've got in the truck. I'm actually very impressed with the sound system. Need to add a 10" sub and it'll be perfect.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:59 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't know about the sedans but he coupe's system sucks. Zero bass to speak of which is a little ironic since there are 10" speakers in each door...
Old 12-06-2009, 09:49 AM
2009Black

Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
I don't know about the sedans but he coupe's system sucks. Zero bass to speak of which is a little ironic since there are 10" speakers in each door...
That's what I'm talking about! I mean, I don't listen to rap music (at least not exclusively heh), but even regular songs don't seem to have good bass response. The system does sound pretty clear. I guess I just expected more thump from the 10"ers in the doors and the sub in the rear. My rear sub has a nice rattle to it which I need to take to Infiniti to get fixed.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:25 AM
BocaIvan

I have the audio stage thing on, it sounded like crap without it...
Old 12-06-2009, 10:39 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd actually say the complete opposite...I think the system in the coupe is amazing. Granted you need to play with the bass/treb setting a bit to find the right medium and yes I've heard better systems -- but NOT stock
Old 12-06-2009, 10:45 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
I'd actually say the complete opposite...I think the system in the coupe is amazing. Granted you need to play with the bass/treb setting a bit to find the right medium and yes I've heard better systems -- but NOT stock
I got a 96 Dodge Ram with a stock system that sounds better than this G37 system. That's not saying much...

I can play with the setting all day long and it still does not sound good. I like the features of the headunit but the sound sucks. And it's nothing like a $40+k car should sound like that's for sure.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:15 PM
shabbo
Registered Member

The sound system can also drain the battery pretty quickly too... it somehow sounds like there's not enough ampereage to drive the particularly hungry Bose speakers.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:43 PM
QuickSilver08

I got a 96 Dodge Ram with a stock system that sounds better than this G37 system. That's not saying much...

I can play with the setting all day long and it still does not sound good. I like the features of the headunit but the sound sucks. And it's nothing like a $40+k car should sound like that's for sure.
Go sit in a vette with the "bose" system. You'll freaking love the infiniti's. I've got alpine components, rockford amp, alpine headunit, audiobahn 12's and amp in my 01 dodge diesel and the g37's system comes very close to the same clarity. Ain't got crap on the bass though. HAHA
Old 12-07-2009, 05:25 PM
pyctici

You guys gotta remember that quality of sound is predicated on the amount of space it has to resonate in…less space equals less room for the sound to travel. So it hits a wall so to speak and then bounces back to the speakers.. lets face it the coupe has no trunk space, so they put the 10’s in the front to take advantage of the space for foot clearance and the deep hollow of the feet well.

That being said you have to play with the setting for the audio. I personally have the fader set a little more to the back. To take advantage of the great highs/mids…in the front I have the bass set higher than usual to compensate. And that seem to be doing it for me…I like the sound I get. I have passengers ride with me who own 37s and ask WTF did I do to get the sound so good.

If your using an ipod, I recommending using the built in EQ settings in itunes and do a custom EQ setting called Car. Adjust to your liking and make that the default EQ for ALL audio going on your ipod NOT allowing itunes to do the audio equalization/volume normalization that it asks you for.
Doing this I found dramatically increased the quality of sound coming out of the stock system.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:31 PM
heff

yup it sucks, my moms bose system in her mazda CX9 kicks the **** outa the G hands down and sounds a hell of a lot crisper and cleaner!!!
Old 12-07-2009, 05:38 PM
soldier9599
Registered Member

I'd definitely say I've heard some custom sound systems in cars that outclassed my G, but I don't think I'd say I've heard a factory one that was any better. I tend to be picky about sound quality but I'm satisfied enough with the Bose system not to change anything any time soon.

Seriously? I find it can easily get much louder than I'd ever want it to be. I don't bring the bass past default very often, but if I do, any more than 3/4 of the way is too loud. Don't think I've ever brought the master volume above 3/4 either, it just starts to get painful. Maybe if I was trying to have people outside my car hear my music I'd think it isn't loud enough but if I have to scream for the person next to me to hear me I think it's too loud.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:44 PM
2009Black

Originally Posted by pyctici

If your using an ipod, I recommending using the built in EQ settings in itunes and do a custom EQ setting called Car. Adjust to your liking and make that the default EQ for ALL audio going on your ipod NOT allowing itunes to do the audio equalization/volume normalization that it asks you for.
Doing this I found dramatically increased the quality of sound coming out of the stock system.
That is great advice I will try that since I play everything through an ipod right now. I turned off driver's audio stage today and oddly, at first it sounded like the music was playing in a concert hall, but I got used to it quickly and feel like the overall sound was improved.

Quick Reply: Does the premium package sound system suck?