Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Help iPhone 3GS Bluetooth A2DP Compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 02:19 PM
Igor1080

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question iPhone 3GS Bluetooth A2DP Compatibility

I have a 2nd gen G35 sedan with the navi and bluetooth package. Also I have the iPhone 3Gs. I know the car audio can obviously carry voice conversations. However this morning I was playing a voice note from the voice recorder application and it played by default through my car speakers. So my question is, to anyone whos got any experience about this, can you somehow make the car stream bluetooth audio either by modding some options in the settings on the iphone or jailbreaking it? Or is it easier and I'm just missing something?

I want to be able to play my music through the Bluetooth without having to connect it through hard wire. Is this at all possible?<!-- google_ad_section_end --> I know the Microsoft SYNC system allows you to stream bluetooth through the iPhone 100%, I've been inside the Lincoln MKX and I've streamed music through bluetooth using the iphone. <!-- / message -->
Old 11-29-2009, 02:36 PM
sbmwg37s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it was a voice message, it will be played by default through the car speakers.
But, streaming music through bluetooh is not available at this time.

But, you always can use the ipod cable.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:04 PM
mozy

The G's don't have A2DP capability (yet, AFAIK). And I don't know about your iPhone having A2DP; never used one. Did a quick search and supposedly A2DP is built-in by default?? Dunno...

But...

You can get one of these (seller choice is up to you):

Amazon.com: BlackBerry Remote Stereo Bluetooth Gateway for BlackBerry 8100, 8110, 8120, 8130, 8300, 8310, 8320, 8330, 8800, 8820, 8830, 9000 (Black): Cell Phones & Service

I got one for $38 shipped. It plugs into the RCA jacks in the center console, uses 5V Mini-USB power (very cheap too). Pair it up to your Phone and you're ready to go. (must have Bluetooth A2DP; dunno what that means for iPhones, don't have one.)

I use this with my Motorola Droid, works like a charm. I get in the car and turn it on, takes a few secs to sync (if paired correctly). Then i go to DroidLive (streaming music player) and hit play. Automatically plays through car speakers. Now that I can listen to ShoutCast streaming music any time I probably won't renew my XM sub When I get a call it automagically switches to in-car bluetooth and back when call is done.

Best $38 I've spent on my car and no need for silly cables. Check on your A2DP support and give this a try, I love it so far.

PS: While it clearly states it is for "BlackBerry" devices, don't worry about it as it is a plain Bluetooth 2.1 audio-gateway device (shows up as Headphones). SHOULD work on any device that supports BT 2.1 and this profile.

Last edited by mozy; 12-03-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:31 PM
pfizzle

My Nokia n96 played through the speakers.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:15 PM
mozy

Originally Posted by pfizzle
My Nokia n96 played through the speakers.
Ok... I hate to ask this but... would you like to elaborate?

Did you plug in any wires? I assume you have Nav? Did you pair your phone to anything other than "bluetooth speaker" (for calls)? Do you have to do anything for it to play via bluetooth?

You sure it wasn't playing via FM radio frequency?

I'm interested now, but I'm pretty sure I'll regret this based on previous experience with this forum.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:04 PM
xevious10

Mozy - Does your phone pair with multiple blue tooth devices simultaneously? Also do you have a usb charger hooked up in the center stack to charge the A2DP adapter?
Old 12-14-2009, 12:45 PM
mozy

Originally Posted by xevious10
Mozy - Does your phone pair with multiple blue tooth devices simultaneously? Also do you have a usb charger hooked up in the center stack to charge the A2DP adapter?
Yep, I got my in-car bluetooth paired and connected as well as the Bluetooth Audio gateway. When I'm listening to music on the BlackBerry audio gateway and I get a call, it switches to in-car BT automatically and I can talk. Then switches back to music. Let me know if you need more details.

And yes I have a 5v USB charger (generic) powering the A2DP adapter in there. It is all tucked in pretty nice, i can take a pic if you want.

Last edited by mozy; 12-14-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:46 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mozy
Yep, I got my in-car bluetooth paired and connected as well as the Bluetooth Audio gateway. When I'm listening to music on the BlackBerry audio gateway and I get a call, it switches to in-car BT automatically and I can talk. Then switches back to music. Let me know if you need more details.

And yes I have a 5v USB charger (generic) powering the A2DP adapter in there. It is all tucked in pretty nice, i can take a pic if you want.
Awesome setup.