Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

XM desperation rates

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 08:33 AM
Calgarywinger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XM desperation rates

I've been ignoring the almost daily phone calls from XM to renew and tossing their junk mail unread.
Yesterday I received a new offer which caught my attention: C$3.99/month for the first 3 months. They must be desperate...
I have no use for XM but if anyone is interested the promo code is DEAL4Q
Have at it.<!-- google_ad_section_end --> <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Old 11-27-2009, 01:25 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I have had my G for 4 1/2 months and I am still receiving the free trial service so I am not complaining...
Old 11-28-2009, 03:32 AM
Jubbliepuff

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
yea... that's really strange.. I've noticed that too! It's been well over 3 months since i bought my car.. but my XM is still working. The only thing that's changed is that the XM traffic function was disabled... wonder what's going on..
Old 11-28-2009, 07:53 AM
jjkusaf

don't know. They reactivated mine (g37 sedan) for two weeks...sent me an offer and all. I really do not listen to XM (iPod) and the two weeks ends on Nov 30th. They are offering XM for five months for just $20. There isn't a code with the offer I would share it.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:01 AM
cconklin1

I got a 6 month offer for $4.99 a month in my mailbox today...
Old 12-01-2009, 11:04 AM
XMMAN

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bschurr
I have had my G for 4 1/2 months and I am still receiving the free trial service so I am not complaining...
for the past month we have been giving an about 60 channel preview on every unactivated XM unit.. this is probabbly what you have been receiving.. the program will be ending soon and you will then no longer have service.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Triple_X

XMMAN, any idea why for the last week or so I haven't been able to get howard stern, (100,101) or the nfl (124)? Those channels say updating then it saves random stations over what I wanted. I am lost without Howard for my commutes.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:47 AM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I acknowledge XM's excellent service, but, the competition is free.
Our iPods, MP3 CD's, CD's, CFs, FM, and AM offer excellent sound quality, our favorite tracks, and / or current news. My daughter's $200. GPS even gets traffic info free. (Not sure why my $40,000.00 car doesn't, but I have suspicions.) Still, a basic subscription with traffic at ~ $5.00 a month would earn my business.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:04 PM
XMMAN

Originally Posted by Triple_X
XMMAN, any idea why for the last week or so I haven't been able to get howard stern, (100,101) or the nfl (124)? Those channels say updating then it saves random stations over what I wanted. I am lost without Howard for my commutes.
No idea, try calling XM and make sure you are still subscribed to the Best of sirius.

Originally Posted by Boomer-Bob
I acknowledge XM's excellent service, but, the competition is free.
Our iPods, MP3 CD's, CD's, CFs, FM, and AM offer excellent sound quality, our favorite tracks, and / or current news. My daughter's $200. GPS even gets traffic info free. (Not sure why my $40,000.00 car doesn't, but I have suspicions.) Still, a basic subscription with traffic at ~ $5.00 a month would earn my business.
What GPS for $200 gets live up to the minute traffic data with incident reports?

All the media formats you listed are great, however with XM you have so many options of types of music/entertainment you can listen to. With MP3 players and CD's (etc. etc.) you are always stuck with the same songs until you update your media device.. With XM you will always hear something new (depending on the channel) and without the commercials and blabber found on AM/FM radio. Also with Sat. Radio you can enjoy many types of talk, sports, and comedy programming. When you compare the price of XM (per month) to the price of a song download you are looking at about 12 songs. (yes i know there are free downloads, but lets be legal here ) I personally would rather have a month of unlimited entertainment choices compared to 12 songs.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:18 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not sure if I remember correctly, but I think ucla_bruin managed to milk several extra months of XM before they finally canceled his trial subscription.

XM used to always call me and offer me the $77/year deal, or the 5 months for $20 deal. I'd usually choose the latter, but decided to cancel all together since I didn't drive my car much back then.

Originally Posted by XMMAN
What GPS for $200 gets live up to the minute traffic data with incident reports?
My coworker has a Garmin GPS (not sure which model, I'll ask later) which gets real time traffic data for free. I'll ask him what model it is when I get a chance. I think a lot of third party GPS units get free traffic.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
My cell phone does it for free (i suppose you could amortize the cost into my data plan).
Old 12-01-2009, 01:29 PM
OMG37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just look at some of the recent deals from Fry's, Best Buy, Newegg, Buy.com, etc. There are several out there for Garmin GPS units under $200 that have liftetime traffic updates.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:52 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I miss my XM but don't drive enough anymore to justify it. I loved listening to the news.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:58 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
The free traffic I mentioned on a $200. GPS:
Costco - $199.99 after $100 OFF Garmin nüvi® 755T 4.3" GPS

All the media formats you listed are great, however with XM you have so many options of types of music/entertainment you can listen to. With MP3 players and CD's (etc. etc.) you are always stuck with the same songs until you update your media device.. With XM you will always hear something new (depending on the channel) and without the commercials and blabber found on AM/FM radio. Also with Sat. Radio you can enjoy many types of talk, sports, and comedy programming. When you compare the price of XM (per month) to the price of a song download you are looking at about 12 songs. (yes i know there are free downloads, but lets be legal here ) I personally would rather have a month of unlimited entertainment choices compared to 12 songs.
I hear ya XMMan, but, I do not download or iTunes any MP3's.
I'm old. I have purchased several hundred CD's of my favorites over the years and others have been given to me as gifts. I have about 6,000 tracks on my iPod alone, can add most anything that interests me, and make my own playlists. News is via AM and FM, local, national etc. I play my CD's in my home, in the car, at parties, my office... etc. They are not subject to subscription cancelations, price increases... and if I buy only one per month, that's a dozen more a year that I can play, give to the kids or sell on eBay...
Still, XM is nice, just a bit expensive IMHO. If you become a sponsor here and offer us a deal, there is a good chance you could sign me up.

Just wondering anyone in the forum get repeated hang ups or sales calls from XM to subscribe? (800) 892-5400 / 8008925400 Is there an easy way to be removed from the phone list?

Last edited by Boomer-Bob; 12-01-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:04 PM
XMMAN

I don't work in marketing and I will get shut down quickly if I even talk about wanting to sponsor a forum. I am a G37c owner myself and I just happen to have a great knowledge on XM and try to help everyone out on the forum when there is an issue.

Quick Reply: XM desperation rates