Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Ticking/clicking noise from nav bezel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 09:25 AM
mindonmatter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ticking/clicking noise from nav bezel?

I have a really annoying noise that I'd like to fix(not my wife this time).

I think I've narrowed it down to the bezel around the nav display. It seems to coincide with bumps in the road sometimes, other times it's completely random. It's not a rattle. It's more of a plastic tick/clicking noise.

Has anyone had this problem? If so, what is the fix? Like some other people, I'd prefer to fix a problem like this myself, instead of having the dealership give me the run around, and possibly have them induce more problems.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 11-23-2009, 02:45 PM
blitzebill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah i hear it in my new sedan. it's occasional and i've mostly forgotten about it.

too busy having fun driving it!
Old 11-23-2009, 04:21 PM
redwing780

I discovered a "zizzzz" once the cold weather set in recently, which may or may not apply to your situation. It was coming from the front passenger seat belt receptacle (i.e. the "female" portion). Some spring/metal-on-metal vibration was occuring under various rpm/road conditions. I tucked the receptacle between the console and the seat and it seems have cured the issue. It doesn't occur with a buckled-in passenger in the seat.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:48 PM
mindonmatter

Bill,
I'm not really interested in forgetting about it. I am having fun though.

redwing,
Nope, not a "zizzz" sound. It's a click/tick. If you were to take a very small piece of plastic, and break it in half, that's the sound it makes. If you take your finger and push against the nav bezel, you can hear what I hear. And it's definitely coming from the nav bezel area, not the seat belts.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:45 PM
ChiDave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had an odd rattle a couple weeks ago that I finally traced down to the sun roof. Not sure if you've convinced yourself that your problem is the Nav bezel or not, because it took me awhile to find the real location of mine. Sometimes I thought it was the glovebox, other times the door. I finally found it by pressing my finger on the sun roof glass to make the noise stop. Have you tried the same thing with the Nav bezel?

The sun roof rattle seems to be the rubber gasket squeeking on the roof frame after I open it then close it. If I keep it closed for a few days, it quiets down. A wipe of silicon spray should do the trick for me.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:20 AM
mindonmatter

It's definitely not the sunroof. Thanks.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:06 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mindonmatter

I think I've narrowed it down to the bezel around the nav display. It seems to coincide with bumps in the road sometimes, other times it's completely random. It's not a rattle. It's more of a plastic tick/clicking noise.

Has anyone had this problem? If so, what is the fix? Like some other people, I'd prefer to fix a problem like this myself, instead of having the dealership give me the run around, and possibly have them induce more problems.

Thanks,
Chris
It is should take about 5 minutes for you to pull the bezel off and see what is going on in there.

Depending on if you have an AT or MT, one of my instruction sheets should help:

Nissan / Infiniti Intelligent Key Covers and LCD Covers
Old 11-30-2009, 10:49 PM
the rever

I, too, have an occasional ticking sound. It's very difficult to locate some noises in the cabin of a car, but I figured it comes from either the steering column or from where the dashboard meets the windshield. So your locating it in the nav bezel is of real interest to me. I will watch this thread to see how you make out.

And thanks for posting this.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:18 PM
sebounet

Originally Posted by mindonmatter

Thanks,
Chris
Just one hour ago i was seeking for the same noise. I don't have a navy version but it's exactly that, i would say that the noise appears more often when it's cold outside.

I wonder if it's not coming from the two round plastic pieces that are very close to the windshield, one on driver side and the over one on the passenger side. When you press it and depress it , on one, i could hear a plastic sound. Like stick / unstick sound from plastic on plastic. I tried to put lub on or take them off but with no success.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:02 PM
ironmill

OK I'll chime in. I hear what could be described as a clicking sound that I think is somewhere between what you've described here and what others may be calling the high frequency noise. To me, it sounds almost like a hard drive (you know the noise a hard drive makes when it's acessing data?).
Old 09-14-2011, 10:34 AM
Scoe11

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ bump

Any solution?
Old 09-16-2011, 09:26 PM
Cho.

Clicking or Rattle or Buzzing

I've figured out what most of you may be talking about. My friends have the same problem in their '08 Altima Coupe and '09 G37S Coupe. I have it on my new '11 G37x Sedan.

The rattle you hear may be coming from the console where the speedometer & RPM gauge resides - the thing you see right in front of you, above the steering column. The plastic window vibrates w/ the engine. If you push on it, the sound will stop.

Is this the same problem you all are having? Is there a solution?