Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Droid and bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 11:01 PM
mziegler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Droid and bluetooth

I got my new phone to connect, but the external speaker in the car does not work--I hear a caller through the car speakers, but I can't talk to callers. Any ideas about what I should do?
Old 11-19-2009, 01:20 AM
PolarDog

Originally Posted by mziegler
I got my new phone to connect, but the external speaker in the car does not work--I hear a caller through the car speakers, but I can't talk to callers. Any ideas about what I should do?
Well, just checking the obvious first:
Did you have another phone that worked properly?
Was your mute on (sometimes a problem with the new touchscreen devices)?
Old 11-19-2009, 08:41 AM
mziegler

Originally Posted by PolarDog
Well, just checking the obvious first:
Did you have another phone that worked properly?
Was your mute on (sometimes a problem with the new touchscreen devices)?
My previous phone worked properly, although not consistently--whenever I make the call everything worked, but the car's microphone didn't always work. (yes, I begin to see a problem here).

I'll check the mute.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:27 AM
whiddles
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i bet you love the phone i have been looking at it for months and decieded not to go for it. im waiting for the new HTC android phone the passion. it will have a 1ghz processor and 2.0 android os
Old 11-19-2009, 11:25 AM
swordsman54

There is a thread that someone posted up on the G35Driver forums at a mobile phones forum. Here is the link.

There isn't much useful information on there yet, but hopefully someone will post a good response. It is interesting, though, that there was a guy with a G37 and a guy with a M35 that had the Droid work with their cars.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:29 PM
mziegler

I am finally finding some information, which I found at an Android forum: Issues with built-in car Bluetooth - Android Forums

One poster wrote: "I just talked with the tech support at Motorola. They have acknowledged there is a missing Bluetooth Profile with the Nissan/Infinity bluetooth interface. They are working on an update, probably firmware, to fix the bug. They did not give me a time table, but they will email me once it is available and I will post it here."
Old 11-19-2009, 08:25 PM
NotUrG
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats interesting- I have a Droid and it works perfectly with my car.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:41 PM
mziegler

Interesting. I thought perhaps your car was newer than mine, but I got it in Jan. 08. Still, I wonder if we have different software versions.

The thread I referenced also had a work-around in it:

"I found a temporary solution for the G35. I assume the same can be done on the Altima. When you make or receive a call, click "Use Handset" on the screen in the car so that the call goes to the phone. After, hit the "Phone" button on the car. Now the call will be transferred back to the bluetooth, the sound will be clear and the other person will be able to hear you."

This actually worked for me.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:30 AM
mozy

Erm... Droid here with G37c as well... don't see this problem. Got the car in Nov. '08, Journey, non-Navi.

Not sure what the "missing profile" BS is about. Bluetooth doesn't work like some people think it does. Its a generic connection protocol, Motorola doesn't have to "code" anything specifically for "Nissan / Infiniti" handsfree modules. Think of it this way, when you pair the Bluetooth system in the car to the phone, does it show up as "Nissan / Infiniti Handsfree" or just "Bluetooth Handsfree" on the Droid? Thats how Bluetooth works, standard protocols for voice/data without the need for hardcoded ID's; your "profile" is created when you pair the phone and handsfree device.

Though I can't explain why some people are having this problem and some are not, lets not be quick to blame Moto just yet. They have lots of other problems they need to fix which we should see an upgrade for on Dec 11th... fix my damn echoing mic problems before your silly Bluetooth issue... I'd like "phone" part of the device to, you know, work like a $300 phone...
Old 11-20-2009, 09:21 AM
mziegler

Oddly I'm not having problems with the phone part.

I just want it to work in my car. I don't care who is at fault.

Sorry we wasted your time with a "silly Bluetooth issue," but then one has to wonder why you would bother to post in a thread that you find silly.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:19 AM
mziegler

Just contacted Infiniti. The person who helped me suggested that I start the car, take out the battery, replace, and see what happens. I will report back soon.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:12 AM
mozy

Oddly I'm not having problems with the phone part.

I just want it to work in my car. I don't care who is at fault.

Sorry we wasted your time with a "silly Bluetooth issue," but then one has to wonder why you would bother to post in a thread that you find silly.
This is why I love this forum, people take everything to heart and don't understand sarcasm. Hard to understand why I still spend 99% of my time on g35driver.com...
Old 11-21-2009, 12:16 AM
mozy

Just contacted Infiniti. The person who helped me suggested that I start the car, take out the battery, replace, and see what happens. I will report back soon.
Warning: I am a professional. Do not attempt to read the following.

That tip they gave you, its equivalent to rebooting your computer a few times to fix a virus. Idiotic suggestion from a clueless tech support phonejokey.

That does nothing that powering-cycling your phone on won't do. Which is nothing. It won't do ****. Was somewhat interested in this from a purely technical point of view but you're a ****. Good luck!
Old 11-21-2009, 10:20 AM
mziegler

Yes, the tech suggestion was worthless, just like your comments and "sense of humor."

For some reason the sound quality improves dramatically through my speakers when I switch to handset then back to the car.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:55 AM
PolarDog

I've got a Q9h and have had no trouble with the Infiniti. However, in my previous car, I have had to reset the bluetooth connection (by switching back and forth between handset and BT speaker). The Infinitis are a bit different from what I have seen before in that it has the profile that allows for more than just audio connection (as seen with the smartphone data transfer ability). Because BT is an open protocol, there are many many ways to develop code that satisfies the BT spec, but tiny variations could contribute to spotty performance. This is on top of the widely held belief that BT isn't the "strongest" of wireless protocols (this is by design). There are also the chipset variations that contribute to connection performance as well (both in the car and the phone). As you can guess, there are many bluetooth profiles (Bluetooth profile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

Although it doesn't fix the problem long-term, Powerdowns to the phone do help because they reset the BT chip.

Naturally, none of this helps the problem at hand, so a few more questions for mziegler: Do you have trouble connecting your phone via BT to anything else? Do you have (yet) another BT phone that you might use to confirm any car mic failures?

I know some people at Motorola and I will ask about the information on the other thread...

Quick Reply: Droid and bluetooth