Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Rant thread: Infiniti head unit is AWFUL.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 06:20 PM
ldoogy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Rant thread: Infiniti head unit is AWFUL.

Not sure if I'm the only one, or if I'm merely preaching to the choir. I recently purchased a G37 sedan, with which I'm overall very satisfied. My disappointment is with the head unit and the interactive display. The software appears to be untested, and in many areas it has an awful design.

Let me give some examples, but before I do let me warn you -- this is just a rant thread. Unless you happen to know how to fix some of these issues, it'll only annoy you to read about them... :-)

* CD player doesn't pause during a Bluetooth call. Instead it mutes but keeps playing in the background. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Did someone actually try to USE this thing before putting it in a product?

* Certain audio settings are lost between startups: Sure, radio stations and bass and treble settings stick, but Source setting always seems to default to radio (WHY??), and my preferred repeat setting (1 FOLDER REPEAT) keeps going back to ALL DISC REPEAT.

* Poor Bluetooth compatibility with iPhone -- a phone that has recently passed the 10 million user marker in the US. No address book transfers, and worst of all, call waiting is unhandled and is automatically rejected by the iPhone when paired with the car!! That last one is enough to get an external BT setup -- it makes the head unit useless with the iPhone!

* More phone trouble (not sure if iPhone specific or not): Caller ID is erratic, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

If anyone knows how to fix any of these, I would be eternally grateful. If not, I pray to god Infiniti engineers are reading this. Software update? PLEASE?

Thank you for reading. :-)

-- Ldoogy.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:39 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Your points are all valid my man and I can't but agree with you. Hopefully Infiniti reads this somehow
Old 10-25-2009, 07:44 PM
alyx

The Bluetooth problems you mention with the iPhone are Apple's problems, not Infinity's.

For instance, none of those problems exist with Nokia phones.
Apple likes to do everything their own way, somehow standards don't apply to them.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:55 PM
ldoogy

Originally Posted by alyx
The Bluetooth problems you mention with the iPhone are Apple's problems, not Infinity's.

For instance, none of those problems exist with Nokia phones.
Apple likes to do everything their own way, somehow standards don't apply to them.
I'm sure that's true, but the iPhone works very well with countless other Bluetooth devices, which means it's POSSIBLE to make it work, even if Apple doesn't fully abide by the BT standards.

The only question now is, who should worry about Infiniti/iPhone integration: Infiniti or Apple? Since there are FAR MORE iPhones than there are Infiniti cars, I'd say it's mainly Infiniti's job, since they know plenty of their customers will require this functionality.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:39 AM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
every phone is different... I wound up to switch to the Blackberry b/c it's easier to do a full transfer of phonebook information while the iPhone can't.

I don't know why your radio is defaulting to the Radio instead of Cd/ or iPod.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:42 AM
pfizzle

I miss my N96.

Sadly I have an iPhone, and it IS the problem.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:59 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
the phonebook transfer (or lack thereof) is the only complaint I have about the iPhone w/ regards to my G...but that is so non-essential for me that it's not even close to something that would make me reconsider anything.

That being said, it would be nice of Apple to do something to allow for the transfer
Old 10-26-2009, 01:00 PM
classy37

Originally Posted by ldoogy
* CD player doesn't pause during a Bluetooth call. Instead it mutes but keeps playing in the background. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Did someone actually try to USE this thing before putting it in a product?
This drives me crazy as well. Completely asinine.

The other 'feature' that is missing is the ability to have individual bass/treble settings for each source. This is not a premium feature and most headunits >$75 have this. I'm constantly tweaking the settings between CD and XM.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:29 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ldoogy
Not sure if I'm the only one, or if I'm merely preaching to the choir. I recently purchased a G37 sedan, with which I'm overall very satisfied. My disappointment is with the head unit and the interactive display. The software appears to be untested, and in many areas it has an awful design.

Let me give some examples, but before I do let me warn you -- this is just a rant thread. Unless you happen to know how to fix some of these issues, it'll only annoy you to read about them... :-)

* Certain audio settings are lost between startups: Sure, radio stations and bass and treble settings stick, but Source setting always seems to default to radio (WHY??), and my preferred repeat setting (1 FOLDER REPEAT) keeps going back to ALL DISC REPEAT.

* Poor Bluetooth compatibility with iPhone -- a phone that has recently passed the 10 million user marker in the US. No address book transfers, and worst of all, call waiting is unhandled and is automatically rejected by the iPhone when paired with the car!! That last one is enough to get an external BT setup -- it makes the head unit useless with the iPhone!

* More phone trouble (not sure if iPhone specific or not): Caller ID is erratic, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

If anyone knows how to fix any of these, I would be eternally grateful. If not, I pray to god Infiniti engineers are reading this. Software update? PLEASE?

Thank you for reading. :-)

-- Ldoogy.
Actually, I have never had this problem in my car with my iPhone. When I get a call waiting, the beep comes in over the car's speakers, I hit answer and it just works.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:27 PM
AndrewDDS

Originally Posted by finagle69
Actually, I have never had this problem in my car with my iPhone. When I get a call waiting, the beep comes in over the car's speakers, I hit answer and it just works.
^ +1. My iPhone3G works flawlessy with regards to call waiting. I can flip back and forth between calls with ease. Have you checked all the settings on both your car and your iPhone?

As for your rants, I agree with everything else. And I'd like to add how completely bass-ackwards the navigation logarithms are. It's constantly calculating the longest most out-of-the-way routes to my destinations!! I know that the drive from Dayton, Ohio, to Sandusky, Ohio, is 3 hrs exactly. Yet my car tells me to go through Columbus, and half-way to Cleveland, with a calculated time of 3hrs 43min. When I ignore it's directions, each time I make a "wrong" turn, it cuts 10-15 minutes off the drive-time. WTF?!?
Old 10-27-2009, 11:14 AM
xevious10

Originally Posted by finagle69
Works for me too.
Only thing I'm missing is the blue tooth transfer so I know who's calling
Old 10-27-2009, 11:26 AM
somocjcsom

I HATE that the cd player keeps playin while the phone rings. so annoying u right, as far as bluetooth and phones, i got a Google G1 and its great..just hate the fact that sis so hard to upload contacts
Old 10-27-2009, 09:36 PM
shabbo
Registered Member

It's strange that infiniti have not released an update to address the many usability issues!

There is full on computer with an OS running in underneath it should be easy to upgrade, patch and add features.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:39 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
yes, the bmw will transfer your whole address book into the system, so will the aftermarket parrot system for voice recognition...

I had customers that didn't want their whole address book into the car... i.e... if a girl calls you and your girlfriend is in the car...
i had special requests to show them that.

you can't have everything in the car. i wish the address book would automatically work like the BB voice system but oh well
Old 10-28-2009, 01:56 AM
heff

DUDDDEEE!!!! Mine defaults to my ipod all the time, even if the radio starts it cuts out and goes to ipod but doesnt play.... i have to go and choose a playlist or song bc its too dumb to start where it left off!

Quick Reply: Rant thread: Infiniti head unit is AWFUL.