Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

If your iPod sleeps with ignition off... Which iPod model do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 10:55 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
Only the itouch and iphone need the adapter
I've got an iPhone and I can just plug it in with the cable that came with the G and it charges/plays music just fine
Old 10-23-2009, 02:29 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by joker37
do 4th gen nanos charge in the g or do you still have to go the adapter route?
This link ( Identifying iPod models ) will open the "specs" for the different models. If you iPod accepts "Firewire" charging or both USB and firewire, you don't need the adaptor. Most newer models work with USB charging only and need the adaptor.

I'm still testing different models for their ability to consitantly shut down when not in use. I hope to post my findings before my sanity is lost

Last edited by Boomer-Bob; 10-23-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:25 PM
xevious10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
I've got an iPhone and I can just plug it in with the cable that came with the G and it charges/plays music just fine
How is that possible? Mine doesn't work with the cable that came with it.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

^Hi Hispeed-lowdrag... do you have an adaptor on your factory iPod cable? (Scosche passPORT) I think you'll need it to charge the iPhone in your G.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:05 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Originally Posted by xevious10
How is that possible? Mine doesn't work with the cable that came with it.
Originally Posted by Boomer-Bob
^Hi Hispeed-lowdrag... do you have an adaptor on your factory iPod cable? (Scosche passPORT) I think you'll need it to charge the iPhone in your G.
I DO NOT have any kind of aftermarket adaptor or anything like that on my iPhone or G. Since the day I got my G, I've plugged both my iPod AND my iPhone into the cable that plugs into the center console and both will charge as well as play.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:09 PM
xevious10

I bet you have the 1st gen phone though.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:18 PM
rAvi665

i got the first ever ipod. Works like a charm but it dies if you unplug it after 10 min. lol
Old 10-25-2009, 06:50 PM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 2nd Gen iTouch 32GB and the scoche adapter. I'm pretty sure it sleeps just fine. If I check it in the morning after sitting all night the battery will be full. I do sometimes have to unplug and replug it...sometimes it says ipod not connected...but it seems radonm.

Not to thread jack...BUT. Does anyone have the menus refuse to take you to an artist or song? Sometimes I keep clickling with the steering wheel and it will eventually go. Other times i just back out of all the menus to the TOP iPod screen and start over and it works. Was gonna try with another ipod.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:36 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

I'm still testing for the ipod sleep problem. The iPod models I've tried will not usually shut down with normal engine shutdown, which causes the iPod batteries to die in time. (Once the car is running and the iPod battery starts to charge, the head unit will switch to iPod without driver selection. iPod will show as "not connected" while iPod battery is dead.) So far it seems that there may be an issue with different versions of software in the head unit. Not sure. Acc shut down will cause most all iPod models to sleep in my late build '09 Sedan, however, not consitantly.

I'm still working on it and will post anything I find that may be of help. Please post or PM if you have info to add...
Old 11-23-2009, 11:59 PM
08gcar_driver

i have 2nd and 4th gen nano and neither of them shut off after engine shutdown. they always end up dead from sitting at night but start recharging when the car is started. wish that wasn't the case because you have to restart the shuffle everytime you start the car.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:12 AM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

^Thanks for your reply 08gcar_driver. Wish I could find something in common with iPods that do and don't sleep. Heck, even figure out why they go into sleep mode -sometimes.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:20 PM
dainjarouz
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the 5th gen iPod (60gb Video) and it stays on after I turn the car off. I never bother turning it off, though, because that gets annoying. If anyone finds a way to stop this, let us know!
Old 01-01-2010, 01:21 AM
gsm026
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Original Video IPOD (30GB)

My IPOD Video does not shut off reliably. Found this out the hard way with the car sitting overnight. The battery was so dead it would not charge at all. Had to disassemble and charge the batter with a LiPo batter R/C charger.

I've been watching it since then and it seems like I always need to shut it off manually - a real pain.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:26 PM
rallycobra

Ipod newbie here. I'm going to buy an ipod to keep plugged into my 09 g37. I want to go on ebay and buy something that works. What is something cheap and reliable that will charge without buying special adapters? BTW- I need more storage than a nano.

TIA!
Old 01-05-2010, 05:58 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rallycobra
Ipod newbie here. I'm going to buy an ipod to keep plugged into my 09 g37. I want to go on ebay and buy something that works. What is something cheap and reliable that will charge without buying special adapters? BTW- I need more storage than a nano.

TIA!
If you want a lot of storage and something you cb leave plugged in, get the video iPod. I've got a 160gb video iPod (gen 2 I THINK) and I leave it plugged in 100% of the time with no problem. Just yesterday I got back from a 4 day vacation and the battery was @ 100%. I've never seen the battery low ever because it turns off right when the car does.

Quick Reply: If your iPod sleeps with ignition off... Which iPod model do you have?