Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Need HELP transferring iPhone contacts via Bluetooth using laptop!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 03:26 PM
DJ Hellfire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question UPDATED: Need HELP transferring iPhone contacts via Bluetooth using laptop!

So I think I am on to something here. Since the iPhone can't beam files over bluetooth (i've even tried jailbreak apps, none worked), I figured it can be done via laptop. It's my assumption that you can swap bluetooth devices on the G's system and still maintain the contacts, correct? So if this works, we will be able to send our contacts with the laptop and then switch the device to the iphone and keep the contacts from the laptop. I am close, but I am stuck.

I have managed to pair the laptop with the G. To do this, I bought a USB bluetooth interface since I did not get built-in BT with my laptop. I then went into the G's system and went to pair new device. Then on the laptop, I went to add device. I entered the G's 1234 passkey into the laptop and the two pair instantly. My laptop shows up on my G's system as the name of my laptop. It shows a slash through the phone icon (since the laptop has no phone), and also displays the battery of the laptop.

Now here is where I am stuck; and this part may be easy for one of you to figure out. I do not know how to make a .vcf phonebook file that contains all my contacts. I am on Vista using Windows Contacts and when I beam the contacts from the laptop to the G, the G is only downloading the first name in the contacts list. I assume that this is because all the contacts are their own .vcf file, instead of an entire phonebook .vcf file that contains all the contacts in one file.

So, how exactly do I go about creating this phonebook file?

UPDATE:
So I figured out how to get the contacts from the laptop to the car. Using Windows Contacts on Vista, I exported all the contacts to .vcf files in one shot. But here's the fun part. To get all the contacts in one file, I had to create a Notepad file and name it G37S.vcf. Next, right-click my first .vcf contact that I just exported and select "Open With" and choose notepad. Then the contact info opens up in a new notepad window. I copied all that info into my G37S.vcf Notepad document and saved. Then I had to do the same thing with the rest of my 113 contacts. In the end, the G37S.vcf document had a nice long list of contact info in vcf format. I then took the laptop back out to the car, paired it with the car, went back to download all and it took every contact in less than 2 seconds.

Now here is where I am stuck again. I can't figure out how to swap the pairing of my laptop with my iphone without the car deleting all the contacts. I think I recall someone figuring this out a while back. So if anyone has a clue how to do this, please chime in. Thanks! Almost there, hopefully!

Last edited by DJ Hellfire; 10-15-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:30 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I dont know if it exactly what you need, but if you go to iTunes and backup your iPhone I know that creates a file with all your contacts and such. Maybe you can use that to get the contacts onto the G's system?

Props for trying the laptop with the G, I never would have even thought about that. Hopefully you figure out a way for all of us with iPhones to get our contacts onto the G!!
Old 10-14-2009, 07:46 PM
BocaIvan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This might work, keep us posted.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:22 PM
DJ Hellfire

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
I dont know if it exactly what you need, but if you go to iTunes and backup your iPhone I know that creates a file with all your contacts and such. Maybe you can use that to get the contacts onto the G's system?
iTunes uses Windows Contacts on my laptop, which is what I am trying to use.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:10 PM
DJ Hellfire

Update in first post!
Old 10-15-2009, 02:20 PM
BocaIvan

When you created the G37S.vcf did you copy all the data from each of the individual .vcf files?
Old 10-15-2009, 03:51 PM
marsb007

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as I know the car keeps separate phonebooks for each one of the devices paired.

Maybe changing your bluetooth address (MAC address) to the same one used by your iPhone would work, but I haven't tried it, and don't even know if it's possible...

Good luck, and let us know... I'm sure everyone would want to figure it out...
Old 10-15-2009, 11:30 PM
DJ Hellfire

Originally Posted by BocaIvan
When you created the G37S.vcf did you copy all the data from each of the individual .vcf files?
Yup! Took about 10 minutes. But I had to do 114 contacts. Some people don't have that many, so it would be much quicker for some!

This is what the contacts should look like in your G37S.vcf. This is only 3 contacts. I have 114 of these:

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:;411
FN:411
NICKNAME:411
TEL;HOME;VOICE:8003733411
REV:20071030T172106Z
END:VCARD

N:411;Google
FN:Google 411
NICKNAME:Google 411
TEL;HOME;VOICE:8004664411
REV:20071030T172446Z

N:;Voicemail
FN:Voicemail
NICKNAME:Voicemail
TEL;CELL;VOICE:*86
REV:20071030T172714Z
Old 10-16-2009, 07:35 AM
BocaIvan

Thanks! I have my vcf file ready to go, just need to get that blue tooth adapter you mentioned and waiting for someone to post how to pair the iPhone back!
Old 10-17-2009, 05:50 PM
DJ Hellfire

Originally Posted by BocaIvan
Thanks! I have my vcf file ready to go, just need to get that blue tooth adapter you mentioned and waiting for someone to post how to pair the iPhone back!
Rocketfish™ - Micro Bluetooth USB Adapter - RF-MRBTAD
Old 04-12-2010, 10:12 PM
awais
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Bumping an old thread.

Did you have any issues installing bluetooth drivers for the car after pairing with your laptop. My laptop can see 'MY-CAR' bluetooth headset device but windows 7 cannot find any drivers for it. Tried both built-in bluetooth and another dongle with same results.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:35 PM
DJ Hellfire

Originally Posted by awais
Bumping an old thread.

Did you have any issues installing bluetooth drivers for the car after pairing with your laptop. My laptop can see 'MY-CAR' bluetooth headset device but windows 7 cannot find any drivers for it. Tried both built-in bluetooth and another dongle with same results.
I was able to transfer all my contacts to the car from the laptop, but everytime I tried to swap the BT device from the laptop to my phone, it would delete all the contacts.