Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Any Way to Improve the Sound Quality on XM?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 11:36 PM
MoonliteMadness

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Any Way to Improve the Sound Quality on XM?

I have the factory "Infiniti Studio on Wheels Premium Audio system by Bose" that came with the Premium Package. For some reason, the XM satellite radio sounds horrible. However, when I play CDs, the sound quality is much better. Is there an explanation for this? Is there a way to improve the sound quality on the XM satellite radio? I had XM in my previous vehicle and did not notice any difference in the sound quality between the satellite radio and CDs.

Thank you
Old 08-29-2009, 05:08 AM
BradManUWF
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The XM in mine sounds great! You might need to pay the dealer a visit.....
Old 08-29-2009, 07:01 AM
gthal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CD or lossless iPod will always sound better than XM. My XM sounds fine... marginally better than FM stations but noticeably worse than CD or from my iPod.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:28 AM
digitalis

I'd like to know how to improve sound quality of xm as well. I find there is no dynamic range. If I could figure out how to make it sound like my iPod I would pay the subscription. As it is I will just let it run out after the 3 month trial.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:46 AM
MoonliteMadness

Originally Posted by gthal
CD or lossless iPod will always sound better than XM. My XM sounds fine... marginally better than FM stations but noticeably worse than CD or from my iPod.
I know exactly what you mean. However, on my last car, CDs sounded great and so did the XM. On my G, the XM sounds dull and flat compared to CDs.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:49 AM
MoonliteMadness

Originally Posted by BradManUWF
The XM in mine sounds great! You might need to pay the dealer a visit.....
I'm bringing it in on Tuesday to have them check my rough-shifting transmission, so I will add that to the list! - Thanks
Old 08-29-2009, 08:52 AM
MoonliteMadness

Originally Posted by digitalis
I'd like to know how to improve sound quality of xm as well. I find there is no dynamic range. If I could figure out how to make it sound like my iPod I would pay the subscription. As it is I will just let it run out after the 3 month trial.
Yes! Exactly - there is no dynamic range with my XM. That was the terminology I was looking for. I find myself turning up the volume and messing with the bass and tremble all of the time. So annoying...
Old 08-29-2009, 09:09 AM
DrJones

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dynomatt makes everything sound better
Old 08-29-2009, 11:48 AM
Mixman

Yes, I want to know the answer on how to improve the crappy sound of XM too. The more I upgrade my system the worse XM sounds relative to every other source. My local FM stations blow it away. Some XM stations sound better than others, with quality ranging from AM like sound to almost true FM sound.

Could it be our XM receivers are lower quality? I have not had XM in a vehicle before, so I can't compare the quality to other vehicles.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:07 PM
digitalis

Originally Posted by DrJones
dynomatt makes everything sound better
I've Dynomatt'ed cars before and it can help with sound quality in some situations but I don't think that it will help here. There is just no punch in the XM compared to CD, iPod or even good FM radio. Kinda sounds half way between FM and AM to me. Flat, lifeless.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:14 PM
MoonliteMadness

^ Spot on!
Old 09-04-2009, 04:03 PM
slip66

Don't think anything can be done on your end it's the signal it's self from XM/sirrus. Much like a mp3 encoded at 128kb has less fidelity, dynamic range etc then one encoded at 320kb.

They prolly have all their audio coming out at a lower quality signal then your local FM station or what you will get from your CDs.

Most people don't seem to care XM/sirrus may upgrade eventually to stay competitive.

Actually the more I think about it all the talk shows tend to have pretty good audio quality... so maybe it's more all their music is in crappy birates :/
Old 09-07-2009, 07:02 PM
joselitopr

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes. Xm have a good quality ,but low volume I own a pioneer xmp3 the radio sound is real low compare to the mp3 sound.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:05 PM
joselitopr

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mixman
Yes, I want to know the answer on how to improve the crappy sound of XM too. The more I upgrade my system the worse XM sounds relative to every other source. My local FM stations blow it away. Some XM stations sound better than others, with quality ranging from AM like sound to almost true FM sound.

Could it be our XM receivers are lower quality? I have not had XM in a vehicle before, so I can't compare the quality to other vehicles.
I own 2 sirius radios and 2 diferent XM radios and is no different from the infiniti radio.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:05 AM
Mixman

Oh well, I guess there is nothing to do to improve the sound of XM.

Quick Reply: Any Way to Improve the Sound Quality on XM?