Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Does an Amp swap JL -> Alpine make sense??

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 01:25 PM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Does an Amp swap JL -> Alpine make sense??

I was wondering if someone could provide some useful suggestions in this matter. Currently I have a 4080 box with a JL Audio 500/v1 and JL Audio 10W6v2 sub. I’ve had the components since I purchased the car about 1 ½ yrs ago but I’ve not really had much of a chance to get them installed. That hopefully is about to change shortly as I should have some free time on my hands and will be installing them myself.
At the suggestion of a friend (my co-installer) he suggested that I should consider replacing the amp with the Alpine PDX-1.600. He thinks that I will get 95% of the performance in a much smaller package that should allow for the amp to be placed under the carpet with no worries concerning heat buildup as this is a digital amp and should not need as much cooling. I’ve seen some of the other stealth installs and they seem to work out just fine. I’m concerned about longevity of the amp (currently replacing another amp in another V due to heat related failure – though it lasted for about 4yrs with good usage).
My question is to those in the know is should I sell the JL and get the Alpine instead and would the sound quality remain comparable? Keep in mind that I haven’t heard either setup before so I won’t know what I’m missing if anything at all.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:41 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
between those two, it only makes sense if you absolutely need the extra clearance around the amp. sound will be near identical. you needn't worry about overheating issues. if you're looking to hide the 500/1, just do what i did.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...all-redux.html
Old 08-28-2009, 02:02 PM
adamball89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the jl amp is the best amp
i have the 1000/1 and i had to switch it out for a week and you could tell the difference
its a really good amp and id leave it if i were you
Old 08-28-2009, 02:10 PM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Originally Posted by finagle69
between those two, it only makes sense if you absolutely need the extra clearance around the amp. sound will be near identical. you needn't worry about overheating issues. if you're looking to hide the 500/1, just do what i did.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...all-redux.html
Thx, finagle69. I was actually using this as a reference guide for my install. Already printed in hand. My question is 'would I really need the computer fan'?
Old 08-31-2009, 11:38 AM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
no you won't need the fan. i'm a dork and had some leftover so i said why not. the factory vent on the right under that same trim piece is plenty.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:40 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
The JL is not a better amp IMO. The PDX has a lot of benefits over the JL in this application: perfect size for what you need, does not get hot and isn't prone to heat related failure, more power, cheaper. I don't know why you think a 600 watt amp will only give you 95% of what a 500 watt one will? You will not hear any difference in sound quality between these two sub amps IMO.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:02 PM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Black Betty
The JL is not a better amp IMO. The PDX has a lot of benefits over the JL in this application: perfect size for what you need, does not get hot and isn't prone to heat related failure, more power, cheaper. I don't know why you think a 600 watt amp will only give you 95% of what a 500 watt one will? You will not hear any difference in sound quality between these two sub amps IMO.
When I say 95% it was really as a figure of speech. I think he meant that it would cover all of the important bases for me. I'd consider myself a bit of an audiophile and he knows that so I think that was his point. He was actually the second person to make that suggestion so it really got me thinking if I should consider making that change.
It would require me to take a bit of a loss on a brand new amp to make the switch but it might be worth it in the long haul if the amp won't fail (due to heat). If the audio aspect is on par then it might be worth it.