Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

New sound system plans...what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 11:14 PM
InfiniDrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New sound system plans...what do you think?

I’ve been doing a lot of reading and I think I know what I want to get in my new coupe:
<o></o>
-Take out the BOOse amps and most of the speakers
-Plug in DSP (Audison Bit One.1)…which is already on its way
-Run the outputs to two JL Audio HD 600/4’s and a JL Audio HD 900/5
-The amps will drive the Morel tweeters (MT-23), mids (CDM-88), and woofer (Elate 9) to go into the stock front speaker locations (with some minor fitment mods behind the doors, I’ll bet)…but I have been debating if I should go with the Dynaudio MW 172 woofer instead. It’s cheaper and meant for infinite baffle.
-I don’t plan on buying the passive crossover since it’ll be an active setup (a first for me...so I’m excited)!
-And JL Audio 10W6v2 sub in a 4080 enclosure to top it all off.
<o></o>
So what do you guys think? Should I go with the Dynaudio woofer or stick with the Morel woofer? Anything else I should take into consideration?
<o>
</o><o></o>Any input is much appreciated.

Side rant - Why hasn’t anyone hacked the hard drive yet? Lol I don’t care for ipods and I never will…and the CF and music box functions are crippled beyond belief! So now I’m looking into ipod to non-ipod cables/controllers (no luck yet…but here’s to hoping with that new HD Zune once it comes out).

T<o>hanks guys! </o>
Old 08-18-2009, 11:26 PM
DJ Hellfire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds good, but why are you against ipods? You do know that you don't have to put MP3's on them, right? You can put cd quality WAV or AIFF files on them and store much of your cd collection on them (if sound quality is your concern). And it plays back through the G's system perfectly. Why would you wanna hack the hard drive when it's limited to 132kbps MP3's? Even if you could go higher, it's still only 9GB's which is less than 15 albums at cd quality. You're better off with an iPod either way! An iPod is nothing more than a portable hard drive itself. Not caring for them just seems silly with what you want to do with your system, since an ipod has all the characteristics that the stock hard drive and CF lack!

Anyway, since you're against ipods, why not run your Zune to the aux audio connection in the armrest via headphone-to-RCA cable? The sound still plays in motion, correct?

Last edited by DJ Hellfire; 08-18-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:16 AM
InfiniDrew

I don't mind ipods, I just don't like itunes and the way it manages my mp3's. I've tried it out in the past. I have so many MP3's that I have been very good about organizing within their respective genres, folders, etc...but itunes does not like a lot of my earlier tags and it'd take me forever to get every tag re-labeled the way itunes likes. But believe me, I have been contemplating it ever since I found out how crippled this car is. But I'm still leaning towards this new Zune and connecting it like you said above...so we'll see. I will just have to keep it in view so I can control it manually is the only problem.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:38 PM
619G-ride

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bit One is IMO the best product on the market. Ive installed several and it gives the best options for our vehicles. Seems like you know your product and what youre doin. my system will be started shortly. im also waiting for my product to get to the shop. Im goin Audison LRX amps, Bit One, Dynaudio throughout and Image Dynamic Subs. Good luck with the install!
Old 08-19-2009, 12:44 PM
SOLISIMO

Looks like you guys have no clue what your talking about. Im running three bazooka tubes with Xplode and Blaupank (how ever you spell it) connected with 3ohm crossovers dynasty blaster and squirters
Old 08-19-2009, 12:46 PM
Mixman

That's a big install, using high end equipment. The only thing is for the tweeters and midrange you may have to to some significant mods to get them to fit in the factory locations. I would just go with the Morel woofers and if you don't like it sell it and try the Dynaudio's.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:50 PM
619G-ride

Dynaudio 3 way will fit. might have to modify slightly... but it will fit in all factory locations. not sure about the morel tho
Old 08-19-2009, 01:03 PM
Mixman

Originally Posted by 619G-ride
Dynaudio 3 way will fit. might have to modify slightly... but it will fit in all factory locations. not sure about the morel tho
With the Dynaudio mids in the stock locations.......Wouldn't you have to cut into the metal of the doors?
Old 08-19-2009, 01:08 PM
SOLISIMO

damn you guys know your **** bc I have no clue and not even close of a clue to what your talking about
Old 08-19-2009, 03:14 PM
619G-ride

stick with your bazooka tube solismo, youre too high end for us .

might have to slightly mod for the 8" in the door unless ya wanna go with the 7" 3 way. that will drop right in. the 3" mid may also need some trimming, but nothing extreme whatsoever. and the tweeter will fit behind the factory location but ill be making a custom tweeter pod. reason i picked this set up was not only for the quality and sound, but replaces all factory speakers with very to little modification.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:18 PM
classy37

That is some very nice equipment.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:38 PM
Mixman

might have to slightly mod for the 8" in the door unless ya wanna go with the 7" 3 way. that will drop right in. the 3" mid may also need some trimming, but nothing extreme whatsoever. and the tweeter will fit behind the factory location but ill be making a custom tweeter pod. reason i picked this set up was not only for the quality and sound, but replaces all factory speakers with very to little modification.
Tell us how that Dynaudio install goes. I am curious to see how the install goes and how it sounds.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:42 PM
classy37

I have a gently used DLS Iridium 6.3i set if you're interested
Old 08-19-2009, 03:44 PM
619G-ride

once all product comes in i will be starting the thread with detailed pics of products and install. after completion i will also give my personal opinion and review on everything as well. here is the list (or whats planned so far)...
Audison Bit One Processor, Audison LRX 1.1K Amp (x2), Audison LRX 2.9 Amp (x2), Dynaudio Esotec 362 Comps (fronts), Dynaudio Esotec 222 Comps (rears), 12" Image Dynamics iDMax Subwoofer (x2), All Audison Connection Wires/Interconnects, Kinetik Batteries, and lots of Dynamat . Ok, sorry to thread jack! ttyl
Old 08-19-2009, 03:46 PM
classy37

Any reason you prefer dynamat over the competition?

Second Skin has a good following. RAAMat is also a (much cheaper) alternative.

Quick Reply: New sound system plans...what do you think?