Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Zapco Demo Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 09:44 PM
g37mobbin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Zapco Demo Vehicle

This was done by Bing
http://simplicity.elitecaraudio.org/

Hey guys,

just got done with a G35 for fellow forum members mzinfiniti20 and g37mobbin.

This time, it isn’t a focused SQ install, but a demo system for a show car. Actually, it’s nice to shift gears once in a while to do something with a different focus keeps the mind sharp in my senile old age lol

The car is a 2003 Infiniti G35 coupe.

The goals:

1. To remove and clean up a sub-par install that was previously in the vehicle.
2. To create a classy set up with a decent show factor that showcases the lower line zapco Iforce products along with the new shallow components.
3. to build a clean sounding system, not specifically SQ focused, but just nice and clean

So, let’s get started...well, as goal number 1 stated, i had to deal with a pre-existing install that was already in the vehicle. I encounter quite a bit of "problematic" installs on a

regular basis, but when it’s of this umm...caliber, I will post some pics of what I found as I tore down the old set up... just for your viewing enjoyment. hehe

underhood battery terminal:

behind the headunit:

the old door panel, with the ADS crossover about to fall out of the door, i was wondering why there was a big long speaker grille:

until i saw the 3 way set with the mid and midbass screwed to the door panel itself:

a random wire that came through a hole in the metal and into the factory loom

audiobahn remote bass controller held on by one screw:

this is the old set up, the trim panels were snapped as is, I didn’t touch it hehe

after removing the amp rack, unplugged a few wires, and this is whats underneath it:

now here is an interesting tidbit, the optima yellow top only had its ground terminal hooked up, i looked throughout the car but did not find a positive connection at all?

so this is with everything out of the trunk, showing the wiring, other than the few cables I unplugged, everything is laying on the floor as i found it.

the install combined audiobahn gear with what appears to be top of the line a/d/s speakers, which even after DEI , is not a bad comp set by any means…hmmm...aiyaya...

it’s a shame really, because the car itself is very cool:

http://g35driver.com/forums/media-sh...6459-my-03-dg-
coupe-d.html

After two days of tearing out stuff and fixing things, the new install got started.

The signal starts with a pioneer AVIC-N5 single din flipout headunit, this was already in the vehicle and we kept it as it serves it purpose. Previously, there was a piece of wood

silconed below it that squeezed a clarion in dash EQ, which we eliminated. I trimmed a nissan/toyota single din pocket to fit below the N5:

As mentioned before, the front stage is designed to showcase Zapco's new ZSL-165 6.5" two way shallow mount component system, they feature a front mounted motor on the

midbass for a very shallow overall depth.

after doing some thinking and measuring, I decided to go with TWO sets of components per door, again keep in mind this is not for SQ, but more designed to demo the speaker

at car shows and meets.

I built a door pod that runs the entire length of the lower door panel, housing both midbasses and both tweets upfront, and then incorporated a zapco logo plate towards the

back. The pod is wrapped in black vinyl and secured to the door.

since this is a pretty dedicated show car, there isn’t much emphasis on stock looking or stealth

here is the driver side pod from various angles and close ups.

likewise, here is the passenger side:

here are some quick build pics of the doors.

first, the metal door panel received a layer of foam to block road noise, a rack was attached, housing the two passive crossovers per door. new wires were run into the door

via the factory molex:

next is the start of the door pod. first an initial mold was taken of the area the pod will take up:

once that’s cured, a layer of duraglass went on to ensure it doesn’t warp:

after that is allowed to cure over a weekend, the back mold was trimmed and rough sanded:

next, the various ring baffles was attached, along with the baffle for the zapco logo plate towards the back.

mold cloth was pulled over the entire shape and resin applied:

next the pods are reinforced from the inside via more cloth, chop strand, and duraglass:

then both pods are fillered and sanded smooth, and i mocked up the speakers and plates to ensure proper fitment:

the inside of the pods received some more sound proofing:

both door cards were then heavily sound proofed as the G35 door panel is prone to buzzing and rattling if untreated:

then the pods were wrapped in black vinyl:

and finally, attached to each door card:

That’s it for the front stage, moving onto the back, one thing i did not get to snap a picture of was how the N5 brain, the BT and the XM modules were mounted from the

previous, or rather, how it was NOT mounted, they were all just free floating under the passenger seat. I put a piece of MDF underneath and secured all three modules:

the rear deck was also removed, and sound proofed to prevent rattles:

the floor of the trunk sound proofed as well:

i know this is a g35 but wanted to show it off to my fellow g37ers on my ladies ride
Old 08-17-2009, 09:45 PM
g37mobbin

So, moving onto the trunk. the goal is to still maintain my basic values of class and simplicity, and to showcase the Iforce amps and subs. we used two Zapco 450s, one powers

the front stage with 4 x 75 watts, while the other sends 250 watts to each Iforce 10" subwoofer.

after playing around with the limited space available, I came up with a simple symmetrical design for the display.

the two subs are upfront, in a 1.1 cubic foot enclosure, and the two amps sit towards the back. all have slant routed cutouts and are trimmed in red vinyl as suggested by the

customer. The top fake floor cutout has a T shaped extension in the middle that divides the two amps as well as visually separating the amps from the subs.

there is a piece of routed plexi glass border under the entire cutout.

so here is the day light view of the trunk:

flip a switch, and the border lights up red from LEDs shining through the outer edge of the plexi glass. its hard to get the effect right with my camera, and these were the best

that i can do:

finally, a shot of the wiring below the floor:

Overall, the car sounds pretty good actually, I am digging these new speakers. the midrange and high is quite decent and IMO above par for components of this design and

price range, the midbass is a bit weaker than the zapco reference set I used before, but still adequate, especially considering the shallow design. The subs provides a decent

amount of clean output and extension. overall, a pretty sweet sounding all passive demo vehicle

The car is going to undergo more mods after this, and will be at various California shows.

Cheers!
Old 08-17-2009, 09:53 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
wow i like... nice work bro!
Old 08-17-2009, 09:54 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Very nice job!!!!
Old 08-17-2009, 11:36 PM
LadyGee21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Love how Bing did my car!!! Thanks guys...I take good care of my G. Thanks for posting it on myg37 hun!
Old 08-18-2009, 12:16 AM
heff

i realllllllllly respect the time and care put into the system. I bet its very rewarding seeing it all done and very cleanly at that! great job
Old 08-18-2009, 12:45 AM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
I really like it when someone in your field has attention to detail . Thats awesome !!!
Old 08-18-2009, 12:49 AM
WhiteGhost

Wow! A lot of hard work went in to this and the results really show it. The trunk setup looks amazing!! Diggin' the LED accent lighting. Great work!!!
Old 08-18-2009, 01:50 AM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
its nice to see someone still care about the clean job of a system. great work!
Old 08-18-2009, 01:53 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I've been seeing that guy's work for years on forums all over the internet and it never ceases to amaze me. I got some install advice from him and even bought some gear from him. He has skillz dripping out of his butt cheeks. I wish he lived close enough to me to work on Betty.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:13 AM
cullan

Great work... the glassed door pods are particularly impressive. I know how much of a pain in the *** that kind of thing is to make.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:13 AM
xlack
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that's amazing work E&L! Your rides just keep getting better and better. Keep it up, love it!
Old 08-18-2009, 06:37 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
That truly is as clean as jobs could get!
Old 08-18-2009, 07:51 AM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Amazing work. Now time to do my G37. Where do you live?
Old 08-18-2009, 10:23 AM
DJ Hellfire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Clean. How much does something like this cost, Labor-wise?

Quick Reply: Zapco Demo Vehicle