Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Mounting a portable gps in the G37

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 01:26 PM
kuwegg57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mounting a portable gps in the G37

I didn't purchase the navigation package with my G37 because I already have a Garmin gps and living and driving on Oahu it's hard to get lost. However the backup camera would have been nice if it was a separate option. Anyway my question is if I can attach the gps with the windshield suction mount on the in dash display screen without damaging it. I dont use the gps alot in so it will not be left on permanently in the car.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:57 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how would you see your hvac and audio display if you suction cup a GPS to the screen? i wouldn't do it considering it's an LCD and isn't designed to have stuff suctioned cup to it.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:53 PM
djm17178

I'm in the same boat, and actually tried the same thing. I didn't want to suction cup it to the LCD, but that seemed the best place.

It worked great, but I guess the screen is somewhat porous, as the cup would lose it's suction over night, and when I get in the car in the morning, it fell off both times I tried it.

Not sure what to do... I might try the far left corner of the windshield, but I hate wrapping that cable over the steering column.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:18 AM
BradManUWF
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Callaway
how would you see your hvac and audio display if you suction cup a GPS to the screen? i wouldn't do it considering it's an LCD and isn't designed to have stuff suctioned cup to it.
I agreed, why put a GPS on your radio/climate screen where you can't see it not to mention it could damage the LCD. I bought a Sony Nav-U and just suction cupped it to the dash above the radio screen. It works great and looks nice too, flows well with the dash.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:25 AM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
eeek idk man i wouldnt put it on the screen. not without at least a screen protector on there first.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:17 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Oh my! Don't do it! You will damage the LCD screen. Our screens do not have a glass cover so you're hitting the polarizing filter that sits on top of the screen.

Do this... Take your finger and lightly press on the screen and you'll see color come directly to that area. Constant pressure may make that permanent.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:35 PM
Nitro Mojo

Lol, suction cup it to the lcd screen... Come on man. Mount the gps on the lower left of the windshield, and wire it into your fuse box. Takes 10 mins and is the cleanest location, and u dont have to worry about removing and replacing it. Even if you dont use it a lot it will look good and you will always have the POI options at your fingertips...
Old 07-14-2009, 03:48 PM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
LOL -- this was the funniest thread i've read in a while.. i actually laughed out loud when i read these guys suction cupped their nav's to the LCD screen.. OMG
Old 07-16-2009, 11:33 PM
djm17178

[quote=Nitro Mojo;2681905] Mount the gps on the lower left of the windshield, and wire it into your fuse box. quote]

Has there been any DIY posts on this already? How do I do this?
Old 07-16-2009, 11:54 PM
aznutx

yeah i would actually like to know too, the wire into fuse box trick
Old 07-17-2009, 02:45 AM
paulg35s

You can do what a lot of us did and get a Garmin GVN 52/53. Makes use of the factory inputs and is relatively inexpensive.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:33 PM
Nitro Mojo

To wire it into the fuse box, first you need an adapter for the cigarette lighter plug at the end of the gps's cord that will plug into that and make the end just an exposed wire with another smaller wire for grounding. Then you need to use a fuse that activates when the car is turned on and off and has the right amperage. A good one for that would be the cigarette lighter fuse, which I believe is 12 or 15 amps. You can see which fuse is which on the back of the cover to the fuse box. Take out the fuse and take the exposed end of the wire for the gps (adapter), and wrap the end of the exposed wire around the contact point of the fuse, and shove the fuse back into the correct slot. Then take the other wire for grounding and find a bolt underneath ur dash that is bolted to unfinished metal (no paint or gloss). Unscrew the bolt a little bit, shove the grounding wire end underneath the bolt, and tighten it down. Take any extra wire and shove it behind, in your case the left side of the dash assembly, and bingo, you have a gps that is wired into your car.

Im at work and cant give a full DIY, but that is what you do. Its very simple and makes the gps intuitive and a part of your dash area. Im not exactly sure where you can find the cigarette lighter adapter to make the end of the cord an exposed wire with a grounding point, but search around.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:45 PM
Nitro Mojo

Here is a link that should have the adapter you need. On this particular one, one side of the wire is positive, and the other side is negative. You would just need to expose some wire at the end using a exacto knife or something similar. The positive side is the side that you plug into your fuse box, and the negative side is the one that you ground. The only thing is I don't know how to determine which is which. You might be able to just use one side as pos and the other as negative but I could be wrong, so if someone knows please chime in and help out. Anyways here is the link...

http://www.tessco.com/products/displ...47&eventPage=1
Old 07-17-2009, 05:19 PM
djm17178

Thanks for the info bud! I'm going to go scope out my fuse box after work and see if I can figure out how to route it all.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:40 PM
classy37

This has to be funniest thread I've ever read.

Quick Reply: Mounting a portable gps in the G37