Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Anyone Else find the Auto Climate Control has a low IQ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 11:49 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone Else find the Auto Climate Control has a low IQ?

I've noticed that when cooling the cabin in AUTO mode, the temperature will not be consistent depending on the outside conditions. What I mean by this is I need to set the temp to ~75-76F when the sun is bright and hot, otherwise the cabin gets too cold. But if the sky becomes overcast I need to lower the temp to about 73-74F otherwise it gets a bit stuffy. I've had other cars with auto climate before which were more stable and consistent. I would expect the sunload sensor on the dash would compensate between full sun and overcast conditions.

Just an observation - wondering if this is what others are seeing.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:01 AM
xyz
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup . . . same here . . .
Old 05-25-2009, 08:40 AM
Mid-Life Crisis

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I noticed an odd quirk during the winter. If you turn off the AC button the AUTO light is still shown which I would assume means the heater would function automatically. But if you then turn the car off and then back on, the climate control unit does not restart - in any mode. I thought it seemed pointless to run the AC during winter and always assumed having it on would use more fuel/power.

Essentially you are not supposed to turn off the AC as it can't remember where it was upon restart. Low IQ.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:12 AM
Michelangelo

Originally Posted by Mid-Life Crisis
I noticed an odd quirk during the winter. If you turn off the AC button the AUTO light is still shown which I would assume means the heater would function automatically. But if you then turn the car off and then back on, the climate control unit does not restart - in any mode. I thought it seemed pointless to run the AC during winter and always assumed having it on would use more fuel/power.

Essentially you are not supposed to turn off the AC as it can't remember where it was upon restart. Low IQ.
Not my experience in my '09 sedan--the climate control returns to whatever state it was in when I restart the car.

I do have to fiddle with the temperature settings, though, because the A/C blows so cold sometimes.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:15 AM
dsindm

Simply put, it requires more adjustment than any "auto" climate control system I've ever used.

I would still have been interested in this car for its performance and external beauty had they not cut corners on some things like this. It's too bad they didn't think they could sell enough at a modestly higher price point.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:21 AM
Mid-Life Crisis

[quote=Michelangelo;2640601]Not my experience in my '09 sedan--the climate control returns to whatever state it was in when I restart the car.
quote]

Try turning off the AC only then restarting. On my '08 it will not remember the previous state. If I leave the AC on at all times, then it remembers.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:30 PM
G4me

I've noticed. Had to keep bumping the temp up so my hands would not freeze to the wheel. Mid 80's outside and had to put it on 80.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:03 PM
Michelangelo

[quote=Mid-Life Crisis;2640650][quote=Michelangelo;2640601]Not my experience in my '09 sedan--the climate control returns to whatever state it was in when I restart the car.

Try turning off the AC only then restarting. On my '08 it will not remember the previous state. If I leave the AC on at all times, then it remembers.
I've done it several times--we've been having cool mornings and warm afternoons here, so sometimes I turn off the A/C in the morning. When I start the car in the afternoon, it's exactly as it was, A/C off, "auto" LED lit, "dual" LED lit, temperatures as I had them, etc.

Wouldn't surprise me to find out something was changed between model years, just as (for example) the voice commands were diminished.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Mid-Life Crisis

^^ As an update, yesterday I was in a 2009 G37 and tested the ability to remember the setting after the AC button was turned off. It worked as it should and after restarting everything was the same as when it was before turning off the car.

I later spoke to the Infiniti dealer and they advised this was something that changed in the newer models. 2008 this was an inconvenience issue but fixed in 2009.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:47 PM
w0ady

i think i find myself tweaking it a bit but if thats the worse thing about the car, it doesnt really bother me.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Only thing that bothers me is when it arbitrarily changes from recirc to outside air.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:45 PM
xyz
Registered Member

My also sets the temp to 60 or 90 randomly (and rarely) from time to time when I start the car . . .
Old 06-03-2009, 03:36 PM
MrMichael

From what I understand even though the AC light is lit, the AC is not necessarily on (the compressor). I just adjust the temp and leave everything else alone. Majority of the time I'm running with it just set at 78.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:30 PM
Silver37
Registered Member

The climate control system is pretty bad. Mine always gets too hot in the morning, then freezes me out if I go out to lunch. I have to crank it down in the 60s in the morning to feel right, and the upper 70s in the afternoon not to freeze out. I'm always having to adjust it in order to get it to the desired temperature. This is definitely a step back from my 12 year old Maxima that it replaces. In addition to the bad temperature control, I really hate the fact that the fresh air/recirculation switch doesn't revert to fresh air mode when the car is turned off. That is absolutely moronic and you could end up driving for a long time in recirculation mode if you weren't paying attention to the setting. I'm wondering which engineer thought it would be useful to start up in recirculation mode....maybe one in Tokyo???
Old 06-03-2009, 11:34 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Silver37
The climate control system is pretty bad. Mine always gets too hot in the morning, then freezes me out if I go out to lunch. I have to crank it down in the 60s in the morning to feel right, and the upper 70s in the afternoon not to freeze out. I'm always having to adjust it in order to get it to the desired temperature. This is definitely a step back from my 12 year old Maxima that it replaces. In addition to the bad temperature control, I really hate the fact that the fresh air/recirculation switch doesn't revert to fresh air mode when the car is turned off. That is absolutely moronic and you could end up driving for a long time in recirculation mode if you weren't paying attention to the setting. I'm wondering which engineer thought it would be useful to start up in recirculation mode....maybe one in Tokyo???
I agree this system seems a bit confused.

For the RECIRC issue, I noticed in the owner's manual that if you hit the FRESH/RECIRC button it becomes MANUAL (apparently indefinitely). To allow it to be automatically controlled again by the AUTO function, hit the FRESH/RECIRC button and hold it for 2 seconds until both lights on the button flash twice. It sounds like your's is stuck in MANUAL mode.

Quick Reply: Anyone Else find the Auto Climate Control has a low IQ?