Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Help Number of Song limit on a Compact Flash

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 11:57 PM
Rottten Appples

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AndBeyond
I guess I've hit the 512 song limit on the CF because the last few folders I added to the card do not show up on the screen. I have about 40 folders on the card, and each folder holds the songs from a full CD, so I probably exceeded 512 songs. That's a bummer because I bought an 8MB card, and I've only used about 2MB on it. I guess I could save them in a much higher bit-rate to improve sound quality, but they sound pretty good already at roughly 200 kbps with VBR, certainly better than the MusicBox.

I have an 80GB iPod classic too, but it's full, so I've been using the CF card for newly acquired music. I wish the iPod interface cable would properly charge the iPod, but instead it seems to drain the power, perhaps because it doesn't turn the iPod off when you turn the radio off. Moreover, the radio seems to switch on it's own to the iPod a few minutes after starting the car, as if I just plugged the cable into it, even though it was plugged in all along.

It is also annoying that the CF card doesn't seem capable of playing the songs in album order, even though I include the track number at the beginning of the file name. The songs appear in random order within each folder. Have you all found the same?

One other annoyance -- the Random/Repeat setting seems to change on it's own. I usually set it to "CF Card Random", and invariably, within a few songs, it seems to change itself to "Folder Random" or "Folder Repeat". What's up with that? Is there a phantom in my car?

In general, I really enjoy the stereo in my '09 G37X, but these anomolies are a bit disappointing and distracting. Are there fixes or workarounds for any of these things?
Compact Flash cards are notorious for getting corrupted.. you will need to format the card every so often and re-add the files to the card in order for the CF reader to list the songs in order... Its annoying i know but its worked after I formatted and re-added.