Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Will the dealer see my nav bypass?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Mid-Life Crisis

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will the dealer see my nav bypass?

I have a problem with my nav being frozen and I complained to the dealer. I showed them the TSB for freezing nav, and they scheduled a reload of the software. The reload did not take (updated but did not save it). They tried a second time with the same result. The dealer is ordering me a brand new nav unit expected in a few days.

The problem is, I bought the G used and it had a DVD mounted that operates on the nav screen even when moving. So I decided to get this out of there before the dealer wants to swap out the nav. Opening up the dash, I find there is the KPtech NI35 bypass installed. I unplugged the module but left the wiring and presto, the nav starts updating.

I've since read the forums at KPtech and learn the bypass goes in and out of bypass mode and can be forced by holding down the enter key on the nav. When the unit is in bypass mode, the nav will not update as the Vehicle Speed Sensor is bypassed and the nav thinks the car is not moving.

My conclusion is the nav system was not defective and only needed to have the bypass toggled back to be not-bypassed by holding down the Nav's enter key. Kevin at KP Technologies has been kind enough to help determine there is no problem with his unit.

Should I let the dealer try to swap out the nav unit? Kevin advised the soldered wires are really on the control pad, not on the nav unit itself. Swapping the nav unit and loading new software can be done without removing the control unit.

Or perhaps I should ask the dealer to try the new software upgrade again without tearing the system apart. I want the new maps for free but there is a risk in the dealer seeing the bypass unit and voiding some warranty.....<!-- google_ad_section_end --> I'm leaning toward canceling the nav swap but would like other opinions.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Last edited by Mid-Life Crisis; 05-13-2009 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Changed Keith to Kevin
Old 05-11-2009, 05:56 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Many of us, including myself, have experienced this problem without any modifications, hence the TSB. The KP Tech mod should have no affect on the nav and you should not have any problems with your dealer denying any warranty claims for this. How often does this occur? daily? each time you drive? Only happened to me twice, both times within a few days of the other never freezing after that.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
My very strong feeling is that if your dealership opens up your nav unit (I don't know what's necessary to swap out the unit you are having replaced) and see that there is a foreign module installed and that it is hardwired into your car they will not cover anything on your navigation under warranty.

Whether or not it's the cause of the problem (you are saying that it is the issue, correct?) I'm very doubtful that Infiniti will warranty something that has so obviously been tampered with in an unauthorized manner.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:53 PM
SFG37S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quite simple. Remove the evidence.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:14 AM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
honestly, you can see if electronics have been hacked, especially w/ solder residue. it depends if you're in Canada and you are posting about this, how many Canadian dealers are there that you can go to? you can modify things but once that piece is altered, it's basically void
Old 05-12-2009, 10:17 AM
Mid-Life Crisis

Even if I unsoldered the wires, I am sure that the dealer could see the solder residue if they were to remove the control panel. It is my guess that they would probably remove the hard drive that I understand is behind the display screen. To do this, I don't think you need to take apart the control panel so they may not even see the additional wires. I agree with Black Betty and da Mayor that the dealer will say it has been tampered with and the problem is now mine. I have about 3 Infiniti dealers I could go to but I'm sure they would log evidence of an altered part for all to see.

When the bypass was installed, the nav would not update at all after I started the car; it would usually have the current position correct but never relocate as the vehicle moved. Although it would rotate as I went around corners and chime when I neared my home location. So my conclusion is the nav was working but the display was not updating as the VSS was being bypassed so it thought the car was not moving(?). In hindsight, I could toggle the bypass unit by holding the enter button on the control panel.

I sense I am being greedy by trying to get the new software for free which is what it amounts to. I'm going to tell the dealer it is now updating the nav position (which it is because the bypass module is removed) and see if he wants to load the new software anyhow. I'll live with either answer but advise I don't need the new nav unit.

Last edited by Mid-Life Crisis; 05-12-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:26 AM
KPierson
Banned

The dealership will never see the solder points because they are inside the enclosure that the buttons are in. As long as whoever installed it did a decent job there shouldn't be any residue anyway. The harder part to "hide" is the wiring harness where the wires are spliced in - depending on the quality of the installation it may or may not be possible to make the harness look stock.

If they do see it and they want to void your warranty they need to prove the module caused the damage. The module itself uses high impendence transistorized inputs (~10,000 ohms) and a simple relay contact output (to mimic pushing the button). There, electronically, is virtually no chance our module would cause any damaged to the electronics.

However, if the bypass is set to "always be on" then of course the navi won't work. My guess would be that if you started a video on the navi screen and enabled the bypass the vehicle would play video while driving - just a guess - but that is the only reason I can see to permanently bypass the VSS wire like that.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:13 PM
Mid-Life Crisis

Thanks Kevin. When the dash is opened, I can see a relay module taped with standard electrical tape to other wires. I tried to push them down and out of the way but they are fairly secure.

Now that the NI35 is unplugged, there are no issues. In fact, when the unit was in there, the nav did update. It wasn't until I had the car for about 2 months that I decided to try the DVD which worked, but this was also when I noticed the nav was no longer updating. Turning the DVD on must have set it to bypass mode. Not knowing the module was installed, I didn't pursue getting it out of bypass mode.

The dealer called and insists on changing out the unit.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:11 PM
KPierson
Banned

The only way to "trigger" the module is to hold the "ENTER" button down for > 2 seconds. Switching to DVD will not trigger the module. The module is hooked up to a communication bus that reads the status of the "ENTER" button to determine when to trigger.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:05 PM
Mid-Life Crisis

Perhaps I held the enter button for the required time not knowing this would cause another effect. 2 seconds is relatively short and might have happened.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:43 PM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would tell the dealership that the navi is working again -- therefore they don't have an opportunity to void your warranty on ALL electrical stuff...

i know and understand the Magnuson-Moss blah blah -- but if they stealership wants to void all electrical on yer car b/c of what they see -- they can be a PIA and do it..

Don't give them this opportunity as you may have electrical problems in the future that require warranty work and you want your full warranty.