Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

2009 G37 stereo

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Swerve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by d999
Changed out the speakers to Focal and the sound was MUCH improved! No more boomy bass. Pricey though, next is an amp once the wallet recovers
which speakers exactly did you swap out?
Old 06-01-2009, 07:11 PM
StopTheExcuses

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Swerve
+1. It needs more volume in those circumstances, but also greater dynamic range. Once you've had a better sounding system, this Bose system in the g37 leaves something to be desired. It's not bad, but could be a lot better for a few bucks. I'd think about a JL 300/4 amp, new speakers up front and a single 10 in the trunk with a budget of 700.
Are you using an Ipod or lossless CD? I JUST HAD the setup you speak of (JL Audio 300/4, ect) and this Bose system sounds much improved over it. Here is my post and equipment I had. I don't see where the hate for this stereo comes from. (Not saying you are, but most people do.)

I'm truly amazed at the VAST opinions on the stock Bose system in the G37. I am normally under the "Bose sucks ***" group, but I was DAMN impressed by the stock system in my G37! (As well as sorely NOT impressed with the quality of my stock bose system in my Mazdaspeed 6) Satellite radio is very iffy, but using an Ipod with a good, clean download, and it sounds GOOD! Esp for a stock system.

This is with me coming from JL Audio ZR650-CSI front door speakers, JL Audio XR650-CXI rear door speakers, JL Audio 300/4, and Dynamat on full interior of my previous Mazdaspeed 6. Not the best money can buy, but SOLID. The door speakers alone had an MSRP of $799 (Can be had now for about $500 new). The kicker is, this Bose system blows it out of the water!

What strikes me the most about this system is it's sound stage, imaging, and crisp midrange. Just for reference, my home setup is a Denon 3808CI for the reciever, Energy Reference Connoisseur RC70's for left and rights, Energy Reference Connoisseur RC-LCR for center, and Energy Reference Connoisseur RC-10's for left and right surround as well as rear surrounds, and rounding out the system is a HSU Research VTF-3 MK3 Subwoofer So, again, not earth shattering equimpment, but SOLID 7.1 setup.

I guess what I'm getting at is I'm no stranger to decent sounding stereo setups, and I'm flabbergasted that so many people are not happy with the stock Bose setup in the G37's when using an Ipod!!
Old 06-01-2009, 07:55 PM
cflury

Def not as nice at the H/K that was in my BMW, but a nice system overall. Def better than the stock system.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:30 PM
cholepuree

Originally Posted by Remo101
The stock sound system is really good for a stock system. For a stock system the manufacture has to find a common ground for all buyers, so the system is weak in the high and low end.

Add a sub and replace the tweeters and you have one h*ll of a system.
Agreed - what are some good quality tweeters?
Old 06-05-2009, 01:56 PM
swordsman54

I really thought this system was amazing until my friend got an Audi S5....Bang and Olufsen is now my favorite stock system in a car that I have ever heard. Still, though, our Bose system is pretty darn good for a $45K car.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:54 PM
cullan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by swordsman54
I really thought this system was amazing until my friend got an Audi S5....Bang and Olufsen is now my favorite stock system in a car that I have ever heard. Still, though, our Bose system is pretty darn good for a $45K car.
Yes, but the B&O system is a $900 option...
Old 06-13-2009, 09:45 AM
herbiehancock00

+1 on the bose's great mid-range and imaging. I also have a pretty decent setup at home and compared to my home system, the bose is only lacking a bit in transparency and imaging, which is a compliment. Are you guys listening to CD's or lossy mp3's? Also, I find turning on the "driver seat staging" feature significantly helps with imaging, which in my book is a very important part of sound quality.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:15 PM
Uninformed

so what additions would you make to the stock system to really sound sweet? Specifics appreciated on particular equipment.

Just bought my G37. Pick it up tomorrow.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:21 PM
cullan

Originally Posted by Uninformed
so what additions would you make to the stock system to really sound sweet? Specifics appreciated on particular equipment.

Just bought my G37. Pick it up tomorrow.
I would recommend just adding a subwoofer. The kind of equipment you want really depends on how much bass you really want.

If you care about trunk space at all then I would get the 4080 enclosure (just do a quick search on the forum for that). That will require a 10 inch sub. I have always liked JL, as do a ton of other people on this forum. A 10W3 or 10W6 will do ir right. The choice of amp really depends on which sub you choose. I know a lot of people like the JL 500/1. One other thing you should think about adding is the remote **** which controls the bass boost.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:51 AM
Uninformed

SO what difference does the sub and amp really make? Curious about it. Certainly wont broaden the depth of the soundscape.

Had a Nak system in my Mitsubishi 3000GTSL. THat was a hell of a system. Felt like I was at a stadium all the time.

Shame they didnt really put that kind of thought into the coupe. It screams for real surround.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:40 PM
cullan

Adding a sub will significantly improve the perceived sound quality and overall perceived volume. I am not someone who likes to have an overkill amount of bass either.

It's hard to quantify how much, but it is well worth it in my opinion. The low-end extension will increase significantly.

Like I said before, having a **** like the JL RBC-1 or better yet the JL CL-RLC will improve your experience a lot. I feel the need to adjust the subwoofer volume depending on the music I am listening too. It is crucial.

You won't regret getting a sub... I suppose that's the most important thing right?
Old 06-24-2009, 06:58 PM
shabbo
Registered Member

It's very decent. Plays all music types without adjustments. It's hassle-free and sound is excellent.

There are better systems, but there's little you can do when you have road noise from sports tires and suspension.

I have zero complaints.