Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

2009 G37 stereo

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 06:37 AM
SupraFX45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've heard better and I've heard much worse. I'm a sound buff and to be honest, our system is not that bad. Question for those that think the system sounds like crap. Didn't you listen to the system before the purchase of the vehicle, or that was not the deciding factor for you? Just asking
Old 05-06-2009, 11:27 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
^+1 for me, the stereo was just an added bonus for an already amazing car. I have heard MUCH worse, and so when I heard this one, I was more than satisfied. Sure it can be better, but for what it costs I think it's an amazing value.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:23 PM
iinviktus

Check out this review on Stereophile: http://www.stereophile.com/news/071706infiniti/.

The sound system is pretty good, IMO. I can't complain for it being stock.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Remo101

The stock sound system is really good for a stock system. For a stock system the manufacture has to find a common ground for all buyers, so the system is weak in the high and low end.

Add a sub and replace the tweeters and you have one h*ll of a system.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:33 PM
kerrylrock

Not enough volume.

My only complaint with this system is that it does not have enough volume (turned all the way up) driving at highway speed with the windows down and the sunroof open.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:39 PM
Michelangelo

From the Stereophile review:

"Which means the whole car costs about the same as the pair of loudspeakers currently in my listening room."

Dude owns a set of speakers that costs the same as a G...wow. I wonder if you can get those on a 39-month lease?

As far as the stereo goes, I like it a lot, but I haven't heard those in other luxury cars so I can't compare it with the Mercedes or whatever. But it is light-years ahead of any stereo I've had in any other car I've owned.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:57 PM
Michelangelo

Here's a review from Car Audio Electronics, he liked it too:

http://caraudioelectronics.automotiv...ort/index.html
Old 05-09-2009, 11:04 AM
mziegler

My main problem with the system is the bass--the door woofers are very boomy.

Adding a sub should probably help a lot.

The one question I have had, which I have never had answered, is what it would cost to do a decent upgrade of the entire system. I realize that "decent upgrade" is pretty vague and totally subjective.

The system is decent enough. After using raamat (http://www.raamaudio.com) on a Honda Odyssey (doors, floor, roof), I would suggest the same for the G37. Of course a diy project like this is a real pain, and I do not plan on doing it with my G37.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:02 AM
joey_v

The system on the G37 (BOW) is much much better than the crappy system (also Bose) on my previous G35coupe.

I've had a stereo system at home (sold it this year) and that was a copy of many Stereophile systems - approximately $40,000 worth of equipment, 2 speakers, amps, preamps, cdplayer.

And I'm ok with this system - it's not that good, but it's not bad at all.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:46 PM
StopTheExcuses

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm truly amazed at the VAST opinions on the stock Bose system in the G37. I am normally under the "Bose sucks ***" group, but I was DAMN impressed by the stock system in my G37! (As well as sorely NOT impressed with the quality of my stock bose system in my Mazdaspeed 6) Satellite radio is very iffy, but using an Ipod with a good, clean download, and it sounds GOOD! Esp for a stock system.

This is with me coming from JL Audio ZR650-CSI front door speakers, JL Audio XR650-CXI rear door speakers, JL Audio 300/4, and Dynamat on full interior of my previous Mazdaspeed 6. Not the best money can buy, but SOLID. The door speakers alone had an MSRP of $799 (Can be had now for about $500 new). The kicker is, this Bose system blows it out of the water!

What strikes me the most about this system is it's sound stage, imaging, and crisp midrange. Just for reference, my home setup is a Denon 3808CI for the reciever, Energy Reference Connoisseur RC70's for left and rights, Energy Reference Connoisseur RC-LCR for center, and Energy Reference Connoisseur RC-10's for left and right surround as well as rear surrounds, and rounding out the system is a HSU Research VTF-3 MK3 Subwoofer So, again, not earth shattering equimpment, but SOLID 7.1 setup.

I guess what I'm getting at is I'm no stranger to decent sounding stereo setups, and I'm flabbergasted that so many people are not happy with the stock Bose setup in the G37's when using an Ipod!!
Old 05-19-2009, 09:08 PM
shabbo
Registered Member

This system is very good and the imaging is great! anything more sophisticated than this will cost significantly more pushing up the MSRP even further.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:35 PM
G4me

If you listen to an IPOD or the radio you are not hearing the system as it should be heard. Compressed music on a quality system just won't sound that great.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:41 PM
gthal

Originally Posted by G4me
If you listen to an IPOD or the radio you are not hearing the system as it should be heard. Compressed music on a quality system just won't sound that great.
I agree. When I use my ipod, everything is stored in lossless format. I can't tell the difference with that and the CD.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:41 PM
Swerve

Originally Posted by kerrylrock
My only complaint with this system is that it does not have enough volume (turned all the way up) driving at highway speed with the windows down and the sunroof open.
+1. It needs more volume in those circumstances, but also greater dynamic range. Once you've had a better sounding system, this Bose system in the g37 leaves something to be desired. It's not bad, but could be a lot better for a few bucks. I'd think about a JL 300/4 amp, new speakers up front and a single 10 in the trunk with a budget of 700.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:10 PM
d999

Stock Stereo

Changed out the speakers to Focal and the sound was MUCH improved! No more boomy bass. Pricey though, next is an amp once the wallet recovers

Quick Reply: 2009 G37 stereo