Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Aftermarket Wireless Rear View Camera

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 04:41 AM
kkokko
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Wireless Rear View Camera

Hey Guys,

How hard would it be to install this? Looks like a nice addition to non-nav Gs. Lots of good reviews on g35driver for the boyo v420 =) Any easy way to get power to the receiver via cigarette lighter outlet in the center compartment where the RCA jacks are?

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/Man.../707VTX420.PDF

Old 04-24-2009, 05:23 AM
kkokko
Registered Member

I'm thinking of getting a cigarette lighter splitter, and using one for the wireless transmitter, would that work?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6772
Old 04-24-2009, 09:07 AM
aznutx

hehe if ur gonna buy that camera, dont buy the cigarette lighter splitter, it's pointless unless ur gonn abe using all the other slots for stuff
just tap into a power source
Old 04-24-2009, 10:01 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Ahhh I see it goes over the license plate which not too bad. I thought that piece went on your trunk. Was gonna say no way you can do a clean install but may be possible over the license plate.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:03 PM
kkokko
Registered Member

how would i tap into a power source w/o drilling into the center console thing :S cant i just use that splitter, and mod a cigarette lighter plug to connect to the wireless receiver?
Old 04-24-2009, 10:22 PM
kkokko
Registered Member

hm.. after more researching it looks like the wired option is better...

Anyone know how difficult and clean it would look, to run the wire from the rear license plate frame to the center console rca input? How clean and difficult would it be? Would it be risky to bring it to a car audio shop to do it? I don't want them to rape my g37 and have all sorts of rattling and holes drilled in @_@

http://boyovta.com/products/license_...ra/vtl420.html

Here is the manual.. http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/Man.../707VTL400.PDF

Maybe it's not worth it... I'm dont really want my interior torn apart and have the center glovebox drilled, what do you guys thinks?
Old 04-27-2009, 04:33 PM
superfly320

Originally Posted by kkokko
hm.. after more researching it looks like the wired option is better...

Anyone know how difficult and clean it would look, to run the wire from the rear license plate frame to the center console rca input? How clean and difficult would it be? Would it be risky to bring it to a car audio shop to do it? I don't want them to rape my g37 and have all sorts of rattling and holes drilled in @_@

http://boyovta.com/products/license_...ra/vtl420.html

Here is the manual.. http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/Man.../707VTL400.PDF

Maybe it's not worth it... I'm dont really want my interior torn apart and have the center glovebox drilled, what do you guys thinks?

I just did this install. It wasn't too bad.

I bought a video interface selector (http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1267) and a BOYO license plate camera, similar to the one listed above
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1005. The selector has 2 video inputs, one for a rear view camera, and one for anything else.

The nice things about the selector is that it taps into your reverse signal, so when you put the car into reverse, it will switch the input to the camera.

The install was straight forward. I took out the trunk panels and the back seat to run the video cable from the license plate to the passenger side area.

For the peripheral piece, you have to remove the lcd screen and plug in the wiring harness for the selector. The only thing you have to physically cut and splice are the wires for the reverse light, which off the main plug from behind the cd player unit. I may have the shop manual picture, but its not as bad as it sounds. It would have been a lot easier if someone else did it first

In terms of performance, the camera is awesome....in daylight. The there is no nigh vision on the camera and it looks very white washed at night. I am contemplating looking for a new camera that has a night mode as well. Other than that, everything else works flawless. I was thinking of using a Garmin GVN53 on the other video input of the selector so that I can have nagivation displayed on the lcd screen and still be able to listen to music.

Hope that helps. Sorry, I didn't take any pics when I installed it. I took my time and spent about 4 hours installing everything...again...taking my sweet time.

-adrian
Old 04-27-2009, 05:03 PM
kkokko
Registered Member

aww too bad you didn't take any installation pictures =(

Just wondering if someone decides to steal the reverse cam plate, and rip it off would this cause some pretty bad damage?
Old 04-28-2009, 11:17 AM
superfly320

It shouldn't cause any damage. I know there's some security bolts out there that use a special head (torx, or something similar) that can be used. They would also have to cut the video wire.

Luckily the cable plugs into a harness about 8 ft from the camera, so if you ever need to replace it, you can just plug that portion in instead of running all the cables again.

Cheers.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:51 PM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
LOL! that's my 2k6 G35x with the crappola F90bt pioneer headunit --

i quickly dumped that POS and got the Kenwood 8120 -- tons more reliable and a solid all around unit.

The boyo 420 is sweet -- very reliable, very quick to turn on, no glare issues, night vision is great -- same quality as my '08 G35x and '09G37x

The wireless is not a good option, just take a extra couple hours and install the wired version and be done with it -- too much interference with the wireless boyo
Old 04-28-2009, 10:08 PM
kkokko
Registered Member

hm.. what if they unscrew the reverse cam and yank the wire really hard, wont it cause some harm inside?
Old 04-29-2009, 01:14 AM
kkokko
Registered Member

Does your g37 have the nav package/preimum?

Just wondering if this PVCI-NIS1 will work on my base g37 with just the video screen, no premium/nav

Originally Posted by superfly320
I just did this install. It wasn't too bad.

I bought a video interface selector (http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1267) and a BOYO license plate camera, similar to the one listed above
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1005. The selector has 2 video inputs, one for a rear view camera, and one for anything else.

The nice things about the selector is that it taps into your reverse signal, so when you put the car into reverse, it will switch the input to the camera.

The install was straight forward. I took out the trunk panels and the back seat to run the video cable from the license plate to the passenger side area.

For the peripheral piece, you have to remove the lcd screen and plug in the wiring harness for the selector. The only thing you have to physically cut and splice are the wires for the reverse light, which off the main plug from behind the cd player unit. I may have the shop manual picture, but its not as bad as it sounds. It would have been a lot easier if someone else did it first

In terms of performance, the camera is awesome....in daylight. The there is no nigh vision on the camera and it looks very white washed at night. I am contemplating looking for a new camera that has a night mode as well. Other than that, everything else works flawless. I was thinking of using a Garmin GVN53 on the other video input of the selector so that I can have nagivation displayed on the lcd screen and still be able to listen to music.

Hope that helps. Sorry, I didn't take any pics when I installed it. I took my time and spent about 4 hours installing everything...again...taking my sweet time.

-adrian
Old 04-29-2009, 05:22 PM
superfly320

If they yank the cable, they'll probably end up tearing it up. It shouldn't damage anything inside your car.

I don't have navi (hence the backup camera install). I have an 08 G35 S sedan. That peripheral unit will work on our screen as long as it is a color lcd screen (which we have)....not like a non-navi Maxima, or such.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:25 AM
aznutx

that's a pretty expensive for that peripheral selector, but i guess there isnt another way aorund this huh
Old 06-19-2009, 02:56 PM
cholepuree

Originally Posted by aznutx
that's a pretty expensive for that peripheral selector, but i guess there isnt another way aorund this huh
yeah it is a bit much. I've been thinking about a rearview cam/garmin blackbox setup - but I dont like the idea of a toggle switch - does it mean, when you put the car into reverse, you have to toggle the switch as well before you see something on the screen?? But I guess there is no other way, is there? If only you could access the AUX video while music from the radio/ipod is still playing... then the Garmin black box would totally be worth it -

Oh well - Once TomTom releases the iphone app, we non-nav iphone users will have a formidable Navi!!!!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Wireless Rear View Camera