Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Help iPhone 3G questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 11:22 PM
AndrewDDS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPhone 3G questions

So I bought an iPhone 3G a few weeks ago, and after using it for a while I have a few questions for other iPhone owners.

1.) What charging adapter do you use, how long have you had it, and how well does it work?

2.) When you listen to your voicemail messages, can you get the sound to come through Bluetooth to the car speakers? So far, whenever I press the "My Car" button to switch the audio over to the speakers, no sound comes out.

3.) Have people on the other end of your calls complained about the sound quality through the Bluetooth?

Does anyone have any nifty hints or tips for how to make using the iPhone a little bit easier or smoother in the car?
Old 04-17-2009, 11:33 PM
elite

1.) Have 1st Gen so I use the stock iPod adapter to charge.

2.) No.

3.) Yes. The iPhone is a terrible phone. Wonderful everything else.

Just remember to turn Bluetooth off on your iPhone when not using it. It will murder that battery.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:00 AM
AndrewDDS

Originally Posted by elite
1.)
Just remember to turn Bluetooth off on your iPhone when not using it. It will murder that battery.
THANK YOU!! I just thought the battery was terrible, but I didn't realize how much the Bluetooth drained it.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:07 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
1) Sosche PassPort; works OK but the phone won't fit in the console if the 6MT with it connected, and it doesn't lock so it comes loose very easily with any bump or movement at all.

2) No

3) Used to have echo when I had a first gen unit but no problems at all with 3G BT.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:56 PM
AndrewDDS

FWIW: Griffin Technologies just recently announced the release of their own Firewire-USB charge converter. http://www.griffintechnology.com/pro...-usb-converter

I just ordered one today, but I have no clue how long they'll be backordered for. According to this website, the connections both click into place, so that should fix the major complaint with the Scosche Passport. It also looks significantly smaller than the Scosche, but that's purely guessing from the pictures.

I'll give everyone a review as soon as I get it.

Last edited by AndrewDDS; 04-19-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:33 PM
TopTech

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AndrewDDS
FWIW: Griffin Technologies just recently announced the release of their own Firewire-USB charge converter. http://www.griffintechnology.com/pro...-usb-converter
The link doesn't work!
Old 04-23-2009, 09:32 PM
Bahoni
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
1- Check out my Iphone mod here:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...n-for-g37.html
Only update to this mod is that I had to replace the Sosche PassPort after it died on me. I replaced it with +USB Charge Converter from www.cablejive.com. Its actually smaller and fits better into my setup. I have this setup for a while and it is working really well for me.

2- I added my own phone number to the car's address book and set the voicetag as "voicemail". It works perfectly. You can select keypad option from screen ( or from your Steering Wheel button) and go through your messages by entering corresponding digits.

3- After the 2.1 update on the phone, my Bluetooth quality improved a bit. But still, people do know when I am on the Bluetooth.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:46 PM
AndrewDDS

Originally Posted by Bahoni
2- I added my own phone number to the car's address book and set the voicetag as "voicemail". It works perfectly. You can select keypad option from screen ( or from your Steering Wheel button) and go through your messages by entering corresponding digits.

You, my friend, are awesome!! That is soooo much better than using the phone.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:40 PM
AndrewDDS

FWIW: I just received Griffin's version of the charge converter in the mail. It charges, plays music, and FITS INTO THE 6MT ARMREST!!!
Old 05-08-2009, 01:21 AM
TopTech

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AndrewDDS
FWIW: I just received Griffin's version of the charge converter in the mail. It charges, plays music, and FITS INTO THE 6MT ARMREST!!!
is this what you got?
http://www.griffintechnology.com/pro...-usb-converter
Old 05-08-2009, 07:26 AM
AndrewDDS

Yep, that's the one.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:59 PM
samskillz

im going from the 2g (which charges already) to the 3g$ im probably going to have to buy one of those....
Old 06-15-2009, 06:21 AM
BradManUWF
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's pretty messed up that Apple changed the connector, means all the stuff you previously bought would be worthless without an adapter. Talk about a scam. Thank you Griffin for making life easier, but it's still another $20-$30 to spend so you can use something that you already own. LAME!

So when I get back from deployment and upgrade to the 3G iPhone, I'll have to buy that Griffin adapter to charge it in my car, correct? I have the 1st Gen iPhone right now so it works fine.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:03 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by BradManUWF
That's pretty messed up that Apple changed the connector, means all the stuff you previously bought would be worthless without an adapter. Talk about a scam. Thank you Griffin for making life easier, but it's still another $20-$30 to spend so you can use something that you already own. LAME!
That my friend is the American way.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:12 PM
BradManUWF
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KLB
That my friend is the American way.
Well it's still lame

Quick Reply: Help iPhone 3G questions