Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Help Viper 5901 Remote Start Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Magix15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Viper 5901 Remote Start Questions

Hi. I have an automatic Infiniti G37S w/ Intelligent Key. I've been searching the internet but haven't found any straight answers regarding remote start systems for this car. I am a complete newbie to this technology so any advice or help would be appreciated.

I bought a Viper 5901 Security and Remost Start system recently. I am told that I will also need a bypass module. Either the 'DEI-1101t' or 'DEI-PKALL'. Is this true? How much does it cost? Where can I buy it? Is that all I'll need for the installation?

Second, where can I get it installed? The Infiniti dealership? Car Toys? BestBuy? I've heard those mentioned in other threads and sites. I live in the Seattle, WA area. Anybody with a suggestion would be great. Car Toys was the only one to give me a quote of $400 to get it completely installed.

Does installation void the manufacturer warranty? Yes or no? I've heard A LOT of different answers. Preferrably someone who's done it can answer this.

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2009, 06:21 PM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

Ok let me explain my situation to you.

I also ordered a viper 5901 with remote start on a 6spd manual transmission. about a week or two ago, I ordered the alarm, and 4 different modules from amazon.com for a fairly good deal. What i had was:
-viper 5901 alarm & remote start
-DEI xpresskit DLPK (the bypass module)
-dei window automation kit
-tilt sensor
-audio sensor
-backup battery
-proximity sensor

Then i called a few places, and i was quoted... 199 + 35 each module from best buy. this one place quoted me 600 for labor alone (lol), and this one place told me 295 installed. So thats where i went...

They had a HECK of a time installing this. Its supposed to be 4 hours, but its going on 23 hrs now, and they still don't have the remote start working. No refunds on my 200 dollars that i put down so far.. So i'm stuck with them. But they said that G37's and G35's are hard to interface with.

Either way, i can't say im exactly satisfied with this alarm, its still not fully installed yet, i have no remote start. I will be going back in a few days they ordered a timing module to adjust timing on the events from the viper brain. The quality of the viper keyfob remote got scratched from being attached to my other set of keys (iffy quality..) and just a host of other problems.

They said they got everything working sans the remote start, so i say ok thanks. I drive it home, and the blue "armed" light keeps blinking, saying that my trunk is open. trunk hasnt been opened, or touched!

Maybe my install shop sucks, but ive had a bunch of problems and i can't say im satisfied. I kind of want to just take it out of the car and sell it privately now.

Sorry, this was more of a rant more than anything... but let me try and answer some of your questions. Manufacturers warranty: yes kinda because you are tampering with the vehicles electrical system.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:32 PM
Magix15

Thanks for the information. I am also looking at the 'DEI-DLPK' bypass module. Did that work OK?

I'm only really interested in the remote start capability. Hopefully it'll be a easier installation process since I don't have the rest of those sensors and batteries that you have.

Good luck with your situation. =)
Old 03-27-2009, 06:49 PM
oOmikeyboy

Yeah, the DLPK is what i have. Seeing as how you car is an automatic, it should be a relatively straightforward install. The alarm is pretty cool that it lets you roll up/down your windows from like a block away.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:36 AM
w0ady

these cars are a pretty complicated installed. i had the viper 791vx on my g35 and it worked great. i did the window up/down module and tilt sensor as well. the shop that installed it in stl had a lot of experience and even they said it was complicated. now im wary of doing it with the g37 because with the remote start, it would mean leaving a key inside the car/chip to allow the car to start up. i assume the viper alarm would override the key locks but im still iffy on that part.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:35 PM
ElijahP

Your Infiniti dealership can install one for you, heres the info
https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...ote-start.html

Post 26
"The rep estimated it to be around $500, and it doesn't void your warranty."
Old 03-29-2009, 09:39 PM
oOmikeyboy

Woady, with the DLPK it will allow it to remote start without a key in the car.. but if i were to start it normally id still need the intelligent key. There is a way where they use ur spare keyfob and take out the battery, and it becomes a part of a viper module.

Then if the viper alarm is armed, the keyfob is useless to the would-be thief. I gotta find out more from the installer place though.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:31 PM
pfizzle

Damn Mike, I was quoted $650 for the 5901 without the remote start and with tilt and proxy sensors installed. Only reason I want an alarm is for security, I can careless on the remote start.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:54 PM
oOmikeyboy

Did you do it? if so, hows everything working?
Old 03-30-2009, 11:44 AM
Magix15

$650 is a lot! I got quoted $400 at Car Toys but I'm not exactly sure since that probably includes getting parts from them. So far I have the:

Viper 5901 Secruity and Remote Start System
DEI - DLPK Bybass module
DEI Back Up Battery

I'm most interested in the remote start so I didn't get all the other sensors.

This is great information everyone! Thanks.

btw, am I correct in understanding the DEI DLPK does not require a key fob to be in the car? That's the set up I want because I heard an extra one costs $800+!!!
Old 03-30-2009, 11:46 AM
pfizzle

Originally Posted by oOmikeyboy
Did you do it? if so, hows everything working?
I held off. I am waiting to see what others have done. lol
Old 03-30-2009, 02:22 PM
Magix15

I'm trying to bring my system into the dealership this week and see what happens. I'll write up a summary if all goes well.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:41 PM
Magix15

I got my system installed yesterday. It works great! The alarm also works well.

The only issue I'm having is that the driver's side window rolls down a bit when I open the door and doesn't go back up to seal the compartment like it did before. I think there's something wrong with the way they wired it. I'm taking it back tomorrow to get it fixed so hopefully all is good after that.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:10 PM
oOmikeyboy

Nice, that just means that my shop sucked.

I pulled out the entire viper 5901, and installed a Hornet 727T. It is a factory interface alarm, so all it is is basically a modified factory alarm. It has its own viper siren, and uses all of vipers modules added onto the factory alarm.

That basically means: My infiniti keyfob runs the hornet alarm. When i arm the factory alarm, it now has a tilt sensor, backup battery, audio sensor, glass breakage sensor, and um a proximity sensor.. all working with the factory setup. The best part is: carrying around only one remote.

This way works best for me.. i mean i lose the remote start, windows up & down with keyfob, and the two-way remote.. but its all good.

Funny thing is, my $200 i paid for the viper 5901 installation was non-refundable. So all said and done, i walk out of there with the viper 5901 back in the box, and the hornet installed in the car fully working, $850 out of pocket. Now i gotta sell the viper.. haha.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:22 PM
pfizzle

Very nice. Now I know what to get

Quick Reply: Help Viper 5901 Remote Start Questions