Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Help Viper 5901 Remote Start Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 01:46 PM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ Yeah, and whats awesome is that it actually works, lol. I had no issues with it at all since it was installed, and the alarm only costs $150 installed. The modules were extra, but 30, 20, 30, its not too bad. OTD if u dont screw up like i did, it would be about 300-350 installed with a bunch of modules.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:52 PM
pfizzle

Who did the install?
Old 04-08-2009, 02:00 PM
Magix15

Yeah, the shop I went to figured out a way to use the DEI DLPK module I bought. They said they flashed the module with the Infiniti keyfob so I wouldn't need to leave a key in the car. That was great.

It is a bit annoying having to carry several remotes, but I'll get used to it eventually. It's worth it seeing people's faces when your car starts with no one inside. LOL

On to the next mod...
Old 04-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Magix15

I did it at Car Toys. Beware, some stores are mad shady! First one I went to quoted me $800 for installation, next one $398 out the door.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:47 PM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a question about remote start and the Ikey.

So if you get the viper 5901 and have ikey, do you still use the button on the door to lock/unlock the car, or you have to use the viper fob?
Old 04-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Magix15

I haven't fully tested the system out yet. I'll have a lot more details this weekend when I test it under different scenarios.

For now, I have to use the viper fob. Using the button on the door seems to set off the alarm. This makes sense since the viper alarm system is separate from your stock system.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:22 PM
oOmikeyboy

If everything is working correctly, the only reason to keep the keyfob is when you get in the car and push start, to turn the car on.

The shop i was at got everything working, except they couldn't get remote start to provide the correct sequence properly so my remote start wouldn't work.

Magix15 is right though, i got quoted $600 LABOR alone from one store, and 150 at another. Best buy was $200 + 35 each module.. so call up a few places before choosing.

Edit: Magix15, Thats what made me mad too. i couldn't get it integrated properly with the factory system, so i lost the use of the button on the door. Let me know how everything else works for you when you get a chance to play with it more.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:59 PM
SirFer

Regarding remote start on a 6MT, how does that work if anyone knows? I like to leave my car in gear when parked, would this just mean that I would have to park it in neutral?
Old 04-08-2009, 09:14 PM
oOmikeyboy

nope, with the viper alarm its like this:
1. Press Brakes
2. pull up e-brake
3. release brake
4. push remote start on viper remote
5. exit car
6. lock car (viper remote will shut off the car)

Now your car is prepped and ready for 6mt remote start, if you don't do it in that exact sequence, it wont work. So its really hard to fail with this.. like it wont initiate remote start unless it turns off the car for you.

The shop i was at was having a heck of a time with it, because the car was a 6mt push start, WITH intelligent key.. the hardest combo apparently, lol.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:13 AM
Magix15

Originally Posted by SirFer
Regarding remote start on a 6MT, how does that work if anyone knows? I like to leave my car in gear when parked, would this just mean that I would have to park it in neutral?
The shop I went to said they wouldn't even do it because it was illegal! Not sure if that's actually true but they told me so. They told me it's because in the past when they had a cars come in with RS and the owner didn't tell them. So when they started working on the car, it turned on and dragged the technician through the whole garage and pinned him against the wall while breaking both his hips.

They also heard stories from police that remote starts on MT cars have turned on while improperly braked and kids and other people have been run over. Scary situations happen 3 times a week according to police.

That's kind of a side to your question, but just know it's pretty dangerous if you don't know what you're doing (same goes for the shop).
Old 04-13-2009, 11:24 AM
Magix15

I got the car back on Friday and everything is working find now. All they had to do was update the firmware on the module. The windows are working like normal again and the inside is toasty in the morning. Life is all good.

After some testing I figured out everything on the Infiniti key fob works like normal but will set off the alarm if it is armed. Even the trunk pop! That gives me great peace of mind knowing the car is fully protected when the system is armed and someone only takes the original key fob.

Besides that, just know that it's possible to have RS on your G37. Make sure all the kinks are worked out with your installer before taking it home and enjoy!
Old 04-13-2009, 12:32 PM
jtaylor22

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is it possible for the stock keyfob to be programmed to function as the device that controls everything with pushing a different sequence of the four buttons, or creating time delays...like to arm the viper system hold down lock for 3 seconds, to remote start hold down trunk button for 5 seconds... i dont know what would be possible but i am assuming the keyfob can be programmed to do a lot of things, i just the technicalities. Either way i am mainly interested in the reomtoe start feature for winter and was hoping i could get an remote start system like viper, but have it integrated to the keyfob.

(I am thinking about this as the keyfob being a universal remote, similar to how tv universal remotes control all units and functions)
Old 04-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Magix15

Based on my research before I got mine installed, it is possible to have your stock keyfob control the remote start. So far, from what I've heard, the only people who have gotten this done have gone through their dealership to do the install. Usually you'll have to press the unlock button twice and hold (or some combination of that sort). My dealership didn't even want to attempt this complicated installation so keep that in mind. It is not easy at all to get this done on a G37 so experience is crucial.

Using the stock keyfob also limits your range to RS. That's another downfall I've read about. What's the point of having RS, if you have to start it 20 ft from the car? You would want to start it while you're still inside your home so the car warms up beforehand.

So the simple answer to your question is: yes, it's possible.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:13 PM
linet90

I put a 5901 in myself into my 08 accord it wasn't that hard took me about 2 1/2 hours. I can see a shop not wanting to install this unit or any into a g37, the first problem is the push start allot more complex system so most people don't want to do it and on a MT you have to make sure that the E Brake is secured and have to bypass the clutch. I have don't only one push start on a altima not that hard if you ask me and i did a couple MT cars. The price for the unit and install should be 650 as posted on DEI's website so don't pay more. Bypass modules are needed to replicate the chip in the key signal i would use a PKALL fairly easy to wire. Just to let you guys know I am a installer at Best Buy so if anyone has questions feel free