Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

GReddy Informeter Clean Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 06:52 PM
GNLuver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GReddy Informeter Clean Install

First of all....a great review of the Informeter can be found here.

I actually used his trick of connecting to the orange power to only power the unit on when the ignition is on. I am just going to cover the differences I used in mounting the unit and in connecting to the CAN connector.

The first issue I ran into was mounting the unit. I turned to Pro-Clip and picked up the following two pieces to give me a complete mount to the right of the climate controls:

854022-G37 Specific Mounting Bracket
848636-Adjustable Padded Holder with Tilt Swivel for iPods

Be prepared that this is not a cheap solution. I think it runs about 80 bucks for the two pieces, but it is well worth it for a perfect fit.

Here are pictures of the finished mounting:

The wires were tucked up under the center console. You can still see the one running down the side, which I intend to figure out how to hide, but have no ideas right now. The one up under the dash is now completely tucked away.

The next problem is the connector. When the Informeter is connected to the CAN connector, the plug sticks down. I am in for the clean installation, so I removed the bracket that holds it in and tucked it up under the dash. I am going to fabricate two brackets to relocate the connector to point towards the firewall and parallel to the floor. More to come on that once I am done. For now, I just tucked it all up under the dash.

Here are the photos of it:

Once the connector is tucked up underneath the dash, it looks clean from where I sit.

I will update this thread once I get the brackets fabricated.

Big props to Andy at HP Autoworks....the man always hooks me up on time and at the right price. Great shop to work with.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:23 PM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
looks good man. post a video. I was going to get this too but i think Magden would be better since i figure out the Nav hack haha.

Great install though
Old 03-13-2009, 07:27 PM
Graham
Premier Member

Let's see some pics with the Infometer on doing its diagnostic stuff, the install looks clean, but I want to also see it in action.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:00 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
+1, pics with it on?
Old 03-13-2009, 09:38 PM
GNLuver

I will definitely get some with it on.

The only thing I don't like about the Magden is that you have no music or any other feature on the nav system while you are using it.

I was looking at the Magden for a while, but once this came out....I was sold.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:49 PM
ifinity

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ok, is the Power/Hp, Speed, and other parameters working for you? See my comments on possible new version of the program shown at Trust-power.com: http://translate.google.com/translat...ial%26hs%3DUE3
Old 03-17-2009, 02:47 AM
jnguyen

Originally Posted by GNLuver
I will definitely get some with it on.

The only thing I don't like about the Magden is that you have no music or any other feature on the nav system while you are using it.

I was looking at the Magden for a while, but once this came out....I was sold.
if you have a ipod or something. you could have bought the audio jack and plug into the White and red part and listen off your ipod while magden was on screen
Old 03-17-2009, 08:00 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Eh... Not a fan of stuff mounted in that location. Nothing clean about it at all, but to each his own.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:00 AM
C@ciQ

^+ I dont see anything clean about it either. You have to hide the cable ma dude.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:58 AM
GNLuver

Yeah...not completely happy with the wire....i think i will try to run it into the panel seperation where the clip snaps in.

The power/hp works as does the other supported items. The ISO CAN setting only supports some of the items.

This is the matrix showing what features it supports:
http://www.greddy.com/featured/InfoTouchVol104.pdf

I do like the location, so that preference may be individual.
Now...how to get the cable hidden.....
Old 03-20-2009, 10:54 PM
ifinity

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
greddy informeter touch program version

I have serial #4743 (see cable) and it shows program/version 1.03. The "104" parameter chart you show is new for Greddy.com--I see it posted 3-9-09:
G37 08-on V36 VQ37: ISO CAN TACHO SPEED IGNTIMING THROTTLE THROTTLE% WATER[temp] [Air]INTEMP AIRFLOW AIRFLOW% POWER TRIP FUELSYS STERMFT STERMFTR LTERMFT LTERMFT 2 O2V O2V2 BATTERY DTC DTCCLEAR...however, that looks that same as the previous chart.

So your unit shows program/version 1.04? Serial #? I thought that you had purchased the Touch before me from HPAutoworks. Andy has not replied to me since 3-3-09 on whether I can get the 1.04 version and whether that solves the Power, Speed, Gear Position, and a couple of the other parameters listed.

For the heck of it, what are your settings for Power? That is, what is the weight that you used? Gross Vehicle Weight? 4600#?

Are you using the Gear Position display setup?

Also, you have the 6MT vs. my 5AT. That might change the available parameters from the Data Link Connector?

Thanks for your reporting...now I have some hope for getting the missing parameters...hopefully without having the send the unit back to Japan...maybe HPAutoworks will make the trade?
Old 03-20-2009, 11:11 PM
GNLuver

I will check out the serial number and version tomorrow. I have had it for a while. The power is ok, not the best, but it is an acclerometer. I used 3700 pounds for the vehicle weight. 3700cc for engine displacement.

I would think that only things like the gear position would be different for the AT. It is not near as complete a data stream as the Accessport gives, but it is prettier and is good for constant monitoring. I want A/F, and that doesn't work with ISO CAN. Do you know if it works in the newest version?

Check back tomorrow for my version info.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:54 PM
g7FQ

cant see the pics! really need to see this coz im just a click away from getting this...

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2009, 03:58 PM
XMMAN

i can not see the pics either
Old 06-15-2009, 04:11 PM
GNLuver

Fixed the issue with the pics...

Quick Reply: GReddy Informeter Clean Install