Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Real-Time XM Traffic Info Usage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Pippin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Real-Time XM Traffic Info Usage?

I've gone into the Nav settings and turned all the options on for real-time traffic info to show up on my map, but it doesn't really show any traffic information on the navigation map when I'm just driving.

Do I have to set the destination to somewhere and if the calculated route hits a heavily traffic street, THEN it'll tell me? I thought if I just had it on the regular map, I can see which streets near me has traffic or not...which would be very useful. I don't really need to set the destination to my house when I know exactly how to get there...
Old 03-12-2009, 10:16 PM
AndrewDDS

Check the XM website. There's very few places in the country that are actually covered by the "flow data" part of the Nav-Traffic package.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:21 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
The only thing that will show up in the Nav map are icons if there is construction or an accident. You do not have to have a set destination for these to show up. However, you have to realize the Traffic info is only useful if an accident has been reported (not sure how that works). Best thing to do is go to Info > Traffic > Nearby and check to see if any information is listed in your vicinity. Living in South Florida and commuting frequently on I-95 and the Turnpike, I figured this would be a good investment but it honestly hasn't been worth it to me at all. In fact, my iPhone can now display traffic info for free. I recommend you get a refund or don't subscribe to XM Traffic if you're still under your trial period.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:30 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
In Houston I see not only accident, construction, and lane/exit closures, but traffic flow (green, orange, or red) as well. Without any destination set. It's usually pretty accurate too.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:55 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I did have it, there was nothing to set, the nav was set to show traffic by default.

But I decided to forgo the traffic and use my iPhone. Might as well if I'm paying 30 freakin bucks for a data plan.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:36 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by DiamondGCoupe
The only thing that will show up in the Nav map are icons if there is construction or an accident. You do not have to have a set destination for these to show up. However, you have to realize the Traffic info is only useful if an accident has been reported (not sure how that works). Best thing to do is go to Info > Traffic > Nearby and check to see if any information is listed in your vicinity. Living in South Florida and commuting frequently on I-95 and the Turnpike, I figured this would be a good investment but it honestly hasn't been worth it to me at all. In fact, my iPhone can now display traffic info for free. I recommend you get a refund or don't subscribe to XM Traffic if you're still under your trial period.
I agree. The fact that XM NAV traffic does not have flow data in the area is baffling. I only subscribed because I hate having a potential feature that goes unused. It does come in handy when I drive to an area that does have it but I rarely have to travel to such areas. Flow data is not available in my area yet google show it on the iphone for free (?) I don't get that either. XM needs to get on it or else they are going to start losing subscribers.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:47 PM
AndrewDDS

Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
The fact that XM NAV traffic does not have flow data in the area is baffling... Flow data is not available in my area yet google show it... XM needs to get on it or else they are going to start losing subscribers.
There are 5 roads in the entire state of Ohio with "flow data" through XM's Nav-Traffic. FIVE!! And none of them are anywhere near where I live. Yet I can check out Google Maps before I leave for work and almost all of the surface roads in my area will show flow data in real-time. And Google has provided that information since roughly 2006. What kind of obsolete technology is NAVTEQ using for their flow data when Google has shown it in real-time for the last two years?!? Is NAVTEQ really that far behind technologically?
Old 03-12-2009, 11:48 PM
Dimitry6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Black Betty
In Houston I see not only accident, construction, and lane/exit closures, but traffic flow (green, orange, or red) as well. Without any destination set. It's usually pretty accurate too.

Like betty said i see same thing as he does traffic from green orange and red In Ny brooklyn
Old 03-13-2009, 12:38 AM
XMMAN

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
I agree. The fact that XM NAV traffic does not have flow data in the area is baffling. I only subscribed because I hate having a potential feature that goes unused. It does come in handy when I drive to an area that does have it but I rarely have to travel to such areas. Flow data is not available in my area yet google show it on the iphone for free (?) I don't get that either. XM needs to get on it or else they are going to start losing subscribers.
Originally Posted by AndrewDDS
There are 5 roads in the entire state of Ohio with "flow data" through XM's Nav-Traffic. FIVE!! And none of them are anywhere near where I live. Yet I can check out Google Maps before I leave for work and almost all of the surface roads in my area will show flow data in real-time. And Google has provided that information since roughly 2006. What kind of obsolete technology is NAVTEQ using for their flow data when Google has shown it in real-time for the last two years?!? Is NAVTEQ really that far behind technologically?

Most of you guys are right on point with this.. Flow data is not broadcasted in every area.. XM uses information provided by other companies and then just broadcasts it out.. it also has alot to do with local governments installing the proper sensors on the streets for this feature.. if you have any questions on XM please feel free to PM me!
Old 03-13-2009, 01:01 AM
machinist

I live in Toronto and the service is horrible. The customer service reps are not being trained on this feature. After the trial is over, I wouldn't waste a cent on this useless feature, UNLESS there are improvements.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:47 AM
AndrewDDS

Originally Posted by XMMAN
Most of you guys are right on point with this.. Flow data is not broadcasted in every area.. XM uses information provided by other companies and then just broadcasts it out.. it also has alot to do with local governments installing the proper sensors on the streets for this feature.. if you have any questions on XM please feel free to PM me!
Just a general question for you, that I know everyone else would like the answer to. If you know the answer, and don't mind/are allowed to share it, please do!

Why can Google Maps show flow data for all sorts of interstates and surface roads all over the country (including BFE, where I live), when NAVTEQ only has flow data in 28 major metropolitan cities? Don't they rely on the same traffic sensors to gather that data? Or does XM use a completely separate form of data acquisition than Google? Obviously these sensors are present, installed, and available for use. What is preventing XM from piggy-backing on all this flow data around the country?
Old 03-13-2009, 10:42 AM
Pippin

Oh ok I see. The reason that Black Betty and Dimitry6 see the real-time traffic flow is because they live in big cities and XM provides live traffic flow on their navigation. See the map for New York, NY below:

You can see the red line that says "Flow and Incident Enabled Roads". Here's a map for where I am:

Only incident enabled on highways and surface roads, nothing at all regarding the "flow". That is pretty damn stupid. Good thing I'm still within my trial. I mean, if you live where there's no coverage, why would anyone pay to use this feature?
Old 03-13-2009, 11:26 AM
pdroth

Originally Posted by Pippin
Oh ok I see. The reason that Black Betty and Dimitry6 see the real-time traffic flow is because they live in big cities and XM provides live traffic flow on their navigation. See the map for New York, NY below:

You can see the red line that says "Flow and Incident Enabled Roads". Here's a map for where I am:

Only incident enabled on highways and surface roads, nothing at all regarding the "flow". That is pretty damn stupid. Good thing I'm still within my trial. I mean, if you live where there's no coverage, why would anyone pay to use this feature?

Look how much better the coverage is on native Sirius in the NYC area - it puts XM to shame, and we still pay the same amount as they do.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:36 AM
AndrewDDS

Oh now I'm ever more pissed off!! My entire commute to work is covered by Sirius flow data, but nothing from XM! How can that be possible if they merged?!? They both have access to the exact same sensors now!!!!
Old 03-13-2009, 11:58 AM
Pippin

Originally Posted by AndrewDDS
Oh now I'm ever more pissed off!! My entire commute to work is covered by Sirius flow data, but nothing from XM! How can that be possible if they merged?!? They both have access to the exact same sensors now!!!!
I feel the same way, why the hell does Sirius have the flow information for most of the coverage areas while XM doesn't? Didn't they merge? Look at Sirius with their traffic flow coverage of my area:

I know it's minimal but it's better than nothing. It gives me an idea on the major highways which would very helpful at times.

Quick Reply: Real-Time XM Traffic Info Usage?