Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Help What did i screw up???

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 07:09 PM
dpjones

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What did i screw up???

I've just finished installing a Calibre K40 Radar/Laser detection system, and the following modules from KPTechnologies: Window Rollup, Sunroof Close, Shift Light, Navigation Bypass, and Traction Control Memory.

Now, I have the following 2 problems:

1) My Supplemental Air Bag Warning light constantly flashes

2) My instrument cluster lights reset to the dimmest setting each time I start the car, and it goes to the instantaneous fuel economy display

Any thoughts????
Old 03-03-2009, 07:30 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Man, sounds like you got a big problem there. I never work on electrical stuff. Too afraid of effin something up. Always take it to the pros for stuff like that. There's some smart guys on here though. I bet someone can help you figure it out.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:52 PM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
did you run around and poking at wires with a test light? my friend told me that you can get warning lights if u poke at them.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:01 PM
dpjones

Originally Posted by Weiboy718
did you run around and poking at wires with a test light? my friend told me that you can get warning lights if u poke at them.
That is true, especially if you have an el-cheapo test light. Not that I advocate poking around, but if you do, you should use a good resistive test light that helps eliminate that danger.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:03 PM
dpjones

I emailed Kevin Pierson from KP Technologies and he had the answer for the Airbag warning. It happens often from unplugging one of the plugs on the white plastic box on top of the radio unit.

http://www.kptechnologies.com/forums...php?f=6&t=1019

THANK YOU KEVIN!!!

I do still have the dimming issue though. All settings are retained on the center display, even the brightness. It is just the brightness of the instrument cluster, and the fact that the stupid instantaneous mileage display keeps coming back.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:59 PM
619G-ride

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow sounds like quite a bit of stuff ya got. not to change topic but how do you like the k40 product? i was also interested in it down the line. thanks!
Old 03-03-2009, 09:09 PM
dpjones

Originally Posted by 619G-ride
wow sounds like quite a bit of stuff ya got. not to change topic but how do you like the k40 product? i was also interested in it down the line. thanks!
too soon to tell, I just got it going last night, and I'm not finished. I have installed the front radar receiver under the front bumper and dual laser defusers on the front bumper. I still have to take off the rear bumper and put in the rear radar receiver and the single laser defuser on the license plate bracket. I've only driven to work and back with it.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:45 PM
KPierson
Banned

So both of the remaining problems have to do with the cluster? Did you take the cluster out during any of the installs? I'm guessing once the car is running everything "works" again, but you just have to reset them?
Old 03-03-2009, 10:07 PM
AndrewDDS

Originally Posted by KPierson
So both of the remaining problems have to do with the cluster? Did you take the cluster out during any of the installs? I'm guessing once the car is running everything "works" again, but you just have to reset them?
I was going to suggest resetting the ECU. But Kevin certainly knows a lot more than I do, so follow his instructions!
Old 03-04-2009, 06:52 AM
dpjones

Originally Posted by KPierson
I had it loose, but not out completely....never disconnected any wires to it. Yes, everything works fine, I just adjust the brightness and change the display to what I want.

Originally Posted by AndrewDDS
I was going to suggest resetting the ECU. But Kevin certainly knows a lot more than I do, so follow his instructions!
Does disconnecting the battery do this? If so, then yes I have, many times.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:31 AM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
did you ground everything to the same spot?

Sounds like some sort of short to me.

What your prob going to have to do, which is going to suck, is uninstall one thing at a time to see whats causing the prob.

You shouldnt install so many things in one shot like this, its better to do one thing, test the car out make sure its good, then move on to the next item.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:15 AM
KPierson
Banned

Taking a look at the MWI.pdf file of the '08 G37 coupe service manual (that's the closest I have and seems to be in line with my '07 G35 sedan manual) both the driver information center and the illumination are controlled by both the BCM and the "Unified Meter and A/C Amp". The "Unified Meter and A/C Amp" is the white box on top of the radio brain. There are several fuses associated with the Unified Meter and the cluster, so I would start there first. I would also be paying extra attention looking out for anything else that doesn't work.

When you turn the headlights on does the cluster brightness automatically change?

Do your A/C (or heater) controls default to the same position (regardless of where you left them) each time?

If the fuses check out good I would pull the radio back out and inspect all the wires on the harnesses at the Unified Meter and A/C Amp. I would look for any jammed, bent, or broken pins inside the harness.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:02 AM
dpjones

Stoof, Yes, I grounded everything in one place. I also ran a dedicated power wire from the battery for the things that needed 12V. I tapped directly into the fuse box (empty spots) for the things that needed Ignition. I don't like splicing into the factory wires unless I have to.

Kevin, I'll check all the fuses and I'll remove the radio again and check those plugs when I get a chance. I just wonder if there is some sort of weird/stupid reset procedure like the airbags.

I did notice that the brightness is maintained when the headlights are off, it is only when they are on that it always goes to the dimmest setting. Also, not only does the display reset to the simultaneous mileage, all the other displays on there get reset...trip A, trip B, average MPH, average Speed, Timer, etc. This is regardless of the headlights being on or off.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:18 AM
DrJones

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cousin!!!!
Old 03-05-2009, 08:25 AM
KPierson
Banned

The reason I asked about the lights being turned on is because that is controlled by the BCM - it seems the BCM is functioning properly.

From your added details it definately sounds like the Unified amp and A/C meter is not getting power when the vehicle is off. I would be optomistic that it should be an easy fix (ie a blown fuse)

Quick Reply: Help What did i screw up???