Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

help! iPhone 3g + passPort= WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 11:55 AM
Ryuken09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help! iPhone 3g + passPort= WTF?

I got the Scosche passPort and have been using for about 2 months with my 3G iPhone. Some weird things happen on a regular basis. Is this normal?

My passPort hasn't fried my phone (yet :P), but I get a number of weird things happening when I hook mine up. It automatically charges, but:

-sometimes won't recognise the ipod functionality (music hookup). Often, I'll start the car and within 15 sec the car will switch audio sources to ipod, even when the iPhone was never disconnected when the car was last turned off. VERY annoying.

-will recognise iphone and not switch music sources (That's what should happen but has only happened once )

-will not even recognise iPhone ipod (WTF?!) but still charge.

-The iPhone cable + passPort + iPhone barely fits in my armrest (7sp auto). Can I ever buy a case for my phone. It's really that tight. This is more of an Infiniti WTF but I felt I had to say it.

I really like that I can charge my damn power hog that is my iPhone 3G, but I wonder if anyone else has experienced these strange occurances. I'm about to call Robert Stack on this unsolved mystery... or just exchange my passPort. Any other competing (better?) products that don't take up much space?
Old 02-16-2009, 08:37 PM
gtracing

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
mine has no problems whatsoever, maybe there's an internal problem with the passport....the first passport i picked up, it had a weird static noise....then i exchanged it and no issues whatsoever
Old 02-17-2009, 10:58 AM
QuickSilver08

Originally Posted by Ryuken09
Often, I'll start the car and within 15 sec the car will switch audio sources to ipod, even when the iPhone was never disconnected when the car was last turned off. VERY annoying.
Mine does that just with my iPod hooked up. Just started doing it recently within say the last 3 weeks. But then again I usually listen to the ipod and don't drive the car everyday so I figured it just takes a few seconds to get enough of a charge to kick it on.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:52 AM
Ryuken09

Originally Posted by gtracing
mine has no problems whatsoever, maybe there's an internal problem with the passport....the first passport i picked up, it had a weird static noise....then i exchanged it and no issues whatsoever
So when you turn your car on, it doesn't switch audio sources if the phone was plugged in before? Or does it never switch audio sources in your car? I'd prefer the latter to the former.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:03 PM
elMoi

not sure about it not recognizing the ipod functionality. But the switching to ipod a few seconds after turning on the car is known. There are a couple of threads about it.
The problem is that the ipod doesn't get turned off when you turn off the car. So the ipod stays on and the battery dies. Then when you turn on your car, it starts charging the ipod again, after a few seconds, it has enough power, so it's like you just plugged it in.

I think some people got a new cable from the dealer. it might fix your other problem. I haven't gone to the dealer yet, so I don't know if it will fix the problem with turning off the ipod.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:54 PM
gtracing

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryuken09
So when you turn your car on, it doesn't switch audio sources if the phone was plugged in before? Or does it never switch audio sources in your car? I'd prefer the latter to the former.
i dunno, like everyone is saying, the ipod doesn't turn off when u turn off ur car..but i always just manually turn off the ipod/iphone so it doesn't die..and when i turn on the car, it goes directly to ipod...no charging time needed
Old 02-24-2009, 10:50 PM
Ryuken09

Naw, guys. It's not the iPhone staying on that is an issue. Phone is ok. Never really turns on (only says connected to an accessory or somesuch nonsense).

I tried disconnecting the Infiniti ipod cable and reconnecting. No real solution. The iPhone still sometimes will not appear connected to the car when you change aux sources. Even worse, today it kept changing to the iPhone as a music source 30 minutes into my drive home. I'd hit the radio button to go back to XM, then the damn iPod music source would select again seconds later. Strange stuff...
Old 02-24-2009, 11:12 PM
jds

My old 3rd gen iPod acts just like what you're describing. I don't have a solution yet though. Going to the dealer to get my leather fixed and I'll ask about it then.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:18 PM
Ryuken09

Originally Posted by jds
My old 3rd gen iPod acts just like what you're describing. I don't have a solution yet though. Going to the dealer to get my leather fixed and I'll ask about it then.
Thanks jds. I was plugging & unplugging things and I wonder if it may be Infiniti's cord that's causing problems. I'm driving a 37 sedan auto and my 3G iphone (no case) barely fits in the armrest with the passport installed. the phone jack has to be bent a bit, but it's not like the cord is kinked. When I disconnected the passport I still had the same problems, so I think it may not be Schoshe's fault.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:02 PM
Ryuken09

Wow, it's been a while and I just wanted to put a nail in this thread's coffin. My phone was at fault. Apple store replaced it no problem. Life appears to be back to normal. Thanks to all
Old 07-13-2009, 04:24 PM
jran76

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting. Mine does pretty much the same things sometimes. It seems to be getting worse recently. I guess if it gets much worse I will have Apple check it out.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:18 PM
chillinuf

Robert Stack is dead.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:35 PM
Ryuken09

Dude, sucks about Robert Stack. Had to think about it for a couple of seconds or else I'd have blasted a quick "WTF?!" your way, chillinuf :P

Jran I'd get Apple to look at it pronto. You don't want your warranty expiring.