Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Mod to enable rearview camera...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 05:06 PM
andromeda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mod to enable rearview camera...

Guys,

I have been searching all over...Is there any mod available to enable the rearview camera w/o being in reverse gear?

Thanks,
-A
Old 02-10-2009, 05:10 PM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
y.....
Old 02-10-2009, 05:13 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
it's probably doable but very hard?
Old 02-10-2009, 05:29 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
just go into diagnostic mode.

turn off radio
hold SETTING
turn volume **** a few spins
Old 02-10-2009, 05:31 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jnguyen
y.....
So you can check out the peeps behind you? Actually IDK but thats my guess.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:43 PM
andromeda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That would be pretty helpful if you think about...
Old 02-10-2009, 10:51 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
i hate it when people stop like 2 inches behind me when i'm at a light or a stop sign... really annoys me
Old 02-10-2009, 10:59 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I'd guess that it is wired so that the camera activates when it gets a signal that the reverse lights are on. Wire it so that the camera always receives a signal instead of when the reverse lights get power. This is just a guess.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:13 PM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
its gotta be doable.

all you need to do is find out which wire is sending the signal to the screen to turn on the camera, then wire a constant signal to it with a switch.

it may work 1 of 2 ways, when you put the car in reverse, it may send a signal to the screen to just switch inputs, meaning the camera is always on. OR when in reverse it may send a signal to the camera to turn on which then signals the screen to switch inputs. Im betting its the 1st one though.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:13 PM
gtracing

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I'd guess that it is wired so that the camera activates when it gets a signal that the reverse lights are on. Wire it so that the camera always receives a signal instead of when the reverse lights get power. This is just a guess.
this won't work, he'll need to add a switch...if u put constant power to the camera, u won't be able to use ur nav/stereo, etc
Old 02-10-2009, 11:16 PM
gtracing

Originally Posted by STOOF
its gotta be doable.

all you need to do is find out which wire is sending the signal to the screen to turn on the camera, then wire a constant signal to it with a switch.

it may work 1 of 2 ways, when you put the car in reverse, it may send a signal to the screen to just switch inputs, meaning the camera is always on. OR when in reverse it may send a signal to the camera to turn on which then signals the screen to switch inputs. Im betting its the 1st one though.
i'm almost 100% sure when u put the gear in reverse, it grounds the reverse lights, and the camera is tapped into this ground wire...and once the head units receives the signal that the camera is on, it'll automatically switch over to that input (so the camera has priority input)...i highly doubt the camera is on all the time...

remember, this is a car, not a space shuttle....manufacturers like to keep things simple to cut down on r&d time....
Old 02-10-2009, 11:20 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by gtracing
i'm almost 100% sure when u put the gear in reverse, it grounds the reverse lights, and the camera is tapped into this ground wire...and once the head units receives the signal that the camera is on, it'll automatically switch over to that input (so the camera has priority input)...i highly doubt the camera is on all the time...

remember, this is a car, not a space shuttle....manufacturers like to keep things simple to cut down on r&d time....
Do you think it goes to ground when put into reverse, or it's constantly grounded and only gets the positive signal along with the lights when in reverse?
Old 02-10-2009, 11:21 PM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
yeah it could be either way, my last car i put a cam and had it powered on all the time, then if i put reverse it switched to cam input.

but actually you may be right, cause at night when i backup the light sensitivity takes a couple seconds to adjust so i can see anything.

that makes it simpler tho, all you have to do is tap a 12volt signal into the camera power wire with a switch. done.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:56 PM
gtracing

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Do you think it goes to ground when put into reverse, or it's constantly grounded and only gets the positive signal along with the lights when in reverse?
usually the switch grounds the wire...the positive is constant

i know it's somewhat confusing...but u gotta understand how electricity works, most people think it runs positive to negative....but in actual reality, it runs negative to positive...

Last edited by gtracing; 02-11-2009 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:00 AM
gtracing

Originally Posted by STOOF
yeah it could be either way, my last car i put a cam and had it powered on all the time, then if i put reverse it switched to cam input.

but actually you may be right, cause at night when i backup the light sensitivity takes a couple seconds to adjust so i can see anything.

that makes it simpler tho, all you have to do is tap a 12volt signal into the camera power wire with a switch. done.
it's actually quite simple...find ur wire harness in ur trunk lid...find out which wire is positive and negative for the camera....i guess if u have an voltmeter, u would confirm which is the switched wire (the positive or negative)....tap into the switched wire, run it into ur cabin, add a 3-pin switch and a ground wire, and viola, ur done!

with this setup, ur camera will turn on when ur in reverse...or it can turn on with the flick of a switch

Quick Reply: Mod to enable rearview camera...