Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

New Bose (preset TSB) installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 02:00 PM
Aerohead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Bose (preset TSB) installation

I'm taking my G in tomorrow to correct the channel scroll (preset) problem. It's taken almost 2 months for the dealer to get the new unit in but I wanted a new unit not a re-man since I don't have the "all good voice commands" anyway. My questions are: will I lose all my presets (radio stations), and will I lose all the music I have on the hard drive from CD's? Is there anything else I should pre-do before I take it in?
Thanks
Old 02-02-2009, 02:02 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Got news for ya, I just had mine done a few days ago for this and they dont even replace the headunit anymore. They have a process that restores all the presets. Good news is you dont loose any songs you have on your HD. Bad news is you still have the same old headunit.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Aerohead

So I don't have to write down all my presets....sweet. Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Not sure. Everyone up until now has had a total replacement. My dealer said that the latest and greatest is the reprogram, thats what they did to mine and it works fine now.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah i had mine replaced totally... Had reset the presets... But I DID get the new Navi version... So I wasn't complainin...
Old 02-02-2009, 03:05 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kidcane
Got news for ya, I just had mine done a few days ago for this and they dont even replace the headunit anymore. They have a process that restores all the presets. Good news is you dont loose any songs you have on your HD. Bad news is you still have the same old headunit.
that's GREAT news for people like me who have all the original voice commands!
Old 02-02-2009, 04:04 PM
dannbla
LA G Club

Originally Posted by Aerohead
I'm taking my G in tomorrow to correct the channel scroll (preset) problem. It's taken almost 2 months for the dealer to get the new unit in but I wanted a new unit not a re-man since I don't have the "all good voice commands" anyway. My questions are: will I lose all my presets (radio stations), and will I lose all the music I have on the hard drive from CD's? Is there anything else I should pre-do before I take it in?
Thanks
so the problem is that the channels you have set don't come up when you do a scan?
Old 02-02-2009, 06:43 PM
wrathletik1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If all I had to do was wait 2 months, I shoulda got a replacement 2 months ago. (I've been waiting ages!!!)
Old 02-03-2009, 09:43 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

I waited 3 months just to find out in the end that they did not even have to replace the unit.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:45 PM
Aerohead

Well here's what happened after installation (about an hour to install). The good news is I got the new Nav maps for 2009. The bad news is everything is gone. I opted for a new unit rather than the re-manuf their currently doing with the changed over ones. The funny thing is all my pre-sets for the radio stations remained but that about it. I had to start from scratch with bluetooth pairing, download phone book, lost all my (around 45) cd's that were recorded to the hard drive, lost all my little personal settings and had to go through the speech recognition for the voice commands. The worst part was losing all the addresses I had saved in Nav and a lot can’t be replaced. It’s basically a refresher course on the care and feeding of your G’s tech system. Also I’m told the dealer cost would be around $3.5k, and in the $4.5k range retail for this nav-bose system.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Interesting. Did you specifically ask them not to do the reprogram or did they give you an option?
Old 02-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Aerohead

They really didn't give me any options. It would have been nice of someone to explain the perimeters like you're going to lose everything so copy your info down somewhere. There were some CD's recorded to my hard drive that were barrowed from a friend (ex girl friend), you know those obscure classics, that are lost at least to me (cause I ain't going back there again).
I think with some dealer's maybe they haven't had that much experience with this replacement. Either way this is a heads up for anyone in the future. If it's done with a total replacement then back up your info and get your CD collection together.