Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Loading iPhone contacts

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 06:31 AM
daveindubai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loading iPhone contacts

Hi All

Newbie to the site and picked up my G37S full loaded last night. Interestingly the dealer here did not have a car I could test drive so last night was my first time experiencing the car. Totally f'in AWESOME!! So happy with the choice - have been in a rented Toyota Yaris here in Dubai for the last year so you can imagine how good it feels.

Enough of my I-love-my-car rant. Has anybody found a way to load their iphone contacts automatically or (better of course) have the bluetooth recognise the address book?

Thanks all
Old 01-21-2009, 10:10 AM
EVO-to-G

^i have had the same problem with my iphone...i click the "download contacts from phone" or whatever its called button and it won't work. I have a feeling its just cause its an iphone it won't work properly. So i manually just put in the people i call the most into the phonebook on the car.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:16 AM
machinist

Yeah man, you're going to have to manually enter the numbers. I went on Infiniti's website and there's a section about it being a known issue with Iphone. It does suck...believe me, but you'll have to punch in the info manually
Old 01-21-2009, 10:50 AM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
wow you bought the car without test driving it? nice...

iphone is retarded in that sense!
Old 01-21-2009, 11:02 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
With the iPhone there is not currently any way to load contacts except doing it manually one by one. You drove a Yaris for a year and then moved into a G37? Wow. No wonder you were willing to buy without even a test drive!

Welcome to the forum Dave.!
Old 01-21-2009, 12:08 PM
daveindubai

I'm SUCH a damn fan - the address book issue is minor!

Hi All

Thanks for your feedback on the iPhone issue - kinda figured I was screwed on getting the contacts loaded but thought I would ask anyways. The phone still totally rocks.

Now I get to have an I-totally-love-this-car rant!

I should start by telling you that I drive 130 k's each way to work - Dubai to Abu Dhabi - and while the road signs say 120 the speed cameras are set at 160 and you can do whatever speed you want in between them - don't ask it just is. Everyone tends to do 160 because you get shoved out of the way at if you do under this.

Admittedly the rented Yaris held up at 160-170 for 4 months without a problem. Aliiin and Black Betty - yep - Yaris to G37s - is that like someone being on skid row and winning the lottery? I reckon so!

I feel lucky that I can really push the car here in the UAE without having to be too concerned about cops.

I was hitting 200 k's an hour coming homeand the car reacted like it was a day in the park - please remember - this speed is not extraordinary - straight flat roads all the way home. Cars just move out of the way - in the Yaris at 160 I had to beep, honk and flash and hope that friggin Hummer would move.

Now? It's a clear run with couple of high beam flashes at people who haven't seen me coming- MAN - why doesn't Las Vegas have a drive in wedding for driver and car *grin*.

And this is after 24 hours - if we divorce I MAY have to give up the house!

Yup - it's love.

D

Last edited by daveindubai; 01-21-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:10 PM
daveindubai

PS Thanks!

Hey guys

I meant to say.

Totally impressed with the response from this post - it just reinforces the reasons I got the car - totally awesome car - totally awesome owners.

Cheers

Dave

Last edited by daveindubai; 01-21-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:40 PM
alexdee

Nice!

Not to be off topic, but how would I import my contacts if I didn't have the iphone?
Any help would be appreciated
Old 01-21-2009, 09:28 PM
AbadMiKE4

Originally Posted by tianh
Nice!

Not to be off topic, but how would I import my contacts if I didn't have the iphone?
Any help would be appreciated
blackberry curve anyone?
Old 01-22-2009, 01:18 AM
gtracing

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
the bluetooth for iphone can ONLY pair with a wireless headset/system....like a bluetooth headset, or a bluetooth system built into a car....it cannot transfer data like contacts etc...
Old 01-22-2009, 04:06 AM
alexdee

what about for my blackberry?
Old 01-22-2009, 11:52 AM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Most other Smart Phones/PDAs should be able to transfer contacts via Bluetooth but the iPhone software is not designed to do this.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:55 AM
ZACHSQUATCH

i hate crapberry's. Most overrated underfeatured phone ever made in the world.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:22 AM
ObsidianGT

Originally Posted by ZACHSQUATCH
i hate crapberry's. Most overrated underfeatured phone ever made in the world.
For a PDA, Blackberry's are one of the best, most featured-packed devices in the world. Granted, #1 belongs to Windows Mobile. And not all BB's are very good; case-in-point the 8130 Pearl

The iPhone is not very good as a PDA. It lacks complete support for the most basic PDA-like functions, from document editing, syncable notes, PIM, to even basic copy/paste. It's a great media device, though. But so is the iPod Touch.

Anyway, the iPhone lacks Bluetooth OBEX which is why it won't send any contacts through Bluetooth. Yet another reason why the iPhone is regarded as being a ****-poor excuse for a PDA--but no worries since Apple doesn't market it as a PDA. The general public doesn't really understand these technical details, though. They just see shiny pictures flicking left and right on a 30-second commercial and go "oooh." lol
Old 02-19-2009, 06:13 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ObsidianGT
For a PDA, Blackberry's are one of the best, most featured-packed devices in the world. Granted, #1 belongs to Windows Mobile. And not all BB's are very good; case-in-point the 8130 Pearl

The iPhone is not very good as a PDA. It lacks complete support for the most basic PDA-like functions, from document editing, syncable notes, PIM, to even basic copy/paste. It's a great media device, though. But so is the iPod Touch.

Anyway, the iPhone lacks Bluetooth OBEX which is why it won't send any contacts through Bluetooth. Yet another reason why the iPhone is regarded as being a ****-poor excuse for a PDA--but no worries since Apple doesn't market it as a PDA. The general public doesn't really understand these technical details, though. They just see shiny pictures flicking left and right on a 30-second commercial and go "oooh." lol
Who ever said a PDA has to be oriented toward business users? For people who aren't sending e-mails or editing documents every other minute, the iPhone rocks. It appeals more to the typical consumer, who may not have the need for all the business/enterprise apps the Blackberry is known for.

Web browsing? The iPhone blows the Blackberry out of the water, hands down. That's what I use my phone half the time for, so it was the primary driver for my decision between that and the Storm.

E-mail works just fine for me.

Yeah not having copy & paste is an minor inconvenience, but I rarely find myself needing to use it anyway. Plus, third party apps fills in a lot of capability gaps from the base iPhone.

Missing Bluetooth OBEX was also a peeve for me, but again, it's not a very big deal.

You get my point. A phone appeals to a person's needs, and the iPhone does a much better job doing what I want than a Blackberry. That's not to say Blackberry is bad, but it's just not my cup of tea.

Quick Reply: Loading iPhone contacts