Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Our NAVs SUCK!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 12:01 PM
krayzrac3r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chekov
That’s like saying you don’t need a radio because you’re such a good singer.

lmao
Old 11-25-2008, 02:10 PM
bunluvsvw

Originally Posted by AndrewDDS
^^^ What's a Jack-in-the-Box?
Its a burger place out in the west
Old 11-25-2008, 02:15 PM
bunluvsvw

There can be so many factors to why the navi works that way. Traffic flow? I think our navi factors in traffic flow also when it calculates its route, and like some members in this forum state, Maybe you have it set on quickest time or shortest distance? or maybe avoid toll roads? Navi's navi's, it gets you eventually to the place you wanna go, the computer does not know how to teach you the secret backroad thats 3miles longer than the normal route but also the route that has no cars on it over the shorter route with 400 other cars on it.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Keng

Map data and route planning software are totally different things.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:49 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I punched in an address to a golf course once. When I was a couple miles away on Redhawk Ave, it made me turn right, then make a legal U-turn if possible, then make a right on Redhawk Ave. I wasn't too pissed off since it only added a couple minutes to my drive, but yeah, it definitely has its glitches.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:49 PM
soldier9599
Registered Member

This is exactly why I did NOT waste $2200 on some crappy nav system that doesn't even work while moving, and instead just used my considerably cheaper, yet better Tomtom.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:54 PM
Snareman

Originally Posted by soldier9599
This is exactly why I did NOT waste $2200 on some crappy nav system that doesn't even work while moving, and instead just used my considerably cheaper, yet better Tomtom.
Although some of us here are complaining about it, its not all bad and I love the integration with the car. As much as I may knock some of its features, I wouldn't get a car without it. The no operating while driving certainly is annoying though. At least BMW has that one figured out. 2 years of doing it while driving and no one has died or come close. Worst is when you're trying to put in an address at a light, are halfway done and then the light changes, you start moving and get locked out.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:57 PM
soldier9599
Registered Member

^^ If anything, I find integration annoying.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:57 PM
Snareman

Originally Posted by bunluvsvw
There can be so many factors to why the navi works that way. Traffic flow? I think our navi factors in traffic flow also when it calculates its route, and like some members in this forum state, Maybe you have it set on quickest time or shortest distance? or maybe avoid toll roads? Navi's navi's, it gets you eventually to the place you wanna go, the computer does not know how to teach you the secret backroad thats 3miles longer than the normal route but also the route that has no cars on it over the shorter route with 400 other cars on it.
Although I'm not positive, I'm thinking that it calculates "fastest" based on driving speeds and doesn't take into account average traffic flow except for highway accidents, etc with the real time traffic. I don't imagine that if I'm driving a non-highway or highway route through rush hour when the roads are pack vs doing it at 10am or 2am when there is no one on the roads that it takes that into account. I'm guessing that it does "fastest" based on the speedlimits (does it know those?) or that road or does it know traffic lights? I guess I'm curious how it calculates fastest, but I'm not sure if it takes traffic flow into it or not.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:59 PM
Snareman

^^ If anything, I find integration annoying.
Oh, ok, well suit yourself then. I'm just happy to have one less thing to worry about in the car. Is it charged? Do I have to plug it in? Small things, but just one less thing to worry about. Also, I think it looks cleaner.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:26 PM
w0ady

damn another $40/month, end of the world there. i think the backup cam software alone is worth it. plus the nav is integrated so much better than the 35s. and i hate the way standalones stick out.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:41 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

Originally Posted by Snareman
Oh, ok, well suit yourself then. I'm just happy to have one less thing to worry about in the car. Is it charged? Do I have to plug it in? Small things, but just one less thing to worry about. Also, I think it looks cleaner.
Suction cup to the windshield FTL
Old 11-25-2008, 03:58 PM
Snareman

Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
Suction cup to the windshield FTL
what's FTL?
Old 11-25-2008, 04:08 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

Originally Posted by Snareman
what's FTL?
FTL=For The Loss, opposite of FTW=For The Win

Here:

This is FTL I am agreeing with you that integration is FTW. If you display a suction cup mark on your window it is only a matter of time before you come out to a broken into G. You sure you own a BMW?
Old 11-25-2008, 04:22 PM
Snareman

Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
FTL=For The Loss, opposite of FTW=For The Win

Here:

This is FTL I am agreeing with you that integration is FTW. If you display a suction cup mark on your window it is only a matter of time before you come out to a broken into G. You sure you own a BMW?
FTL/FTW. Ah, right. I'm with you. I was going to mention the theft thing.

As for the BMW, well, technically its leased. Went to Munich to pick it up.

Here you go:

Everyone should get to drive on the autobahn.

Thank God for the Nav over there!

Not sure this was within the breakin specs, but hey, what are you going to do on the autobahn in your new BMW?

Quick Reply: Our NAVs SUCK!