Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Our NAVs SUCK!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 12:10 PM
Snareman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
Who needs a working NAVI when you can have Fender Vents!!!

Well, it is very important to keep that fender well ventilated. Last thing you want is an overheated fender.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:12 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

LOLOLOL true dat!!!
Old 11-20-2008, 12:19 PM
cholepuree

Hey guys! Well... I've decided to join the club Just bought an 08 G37S 6MT - Plat Graphite/Graphite - Premium Package. I too had heard that the NAV wasn't that great which is why I stayed away from it. But, has there been any update as to how we can instal an aftermarket double din unit - so that it can control Audio as well?

The car is being detailed as we speak - im so excited - but then again, im new to manual transmission - so this is gonna be quite an experience.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:20 PM
teedough

Originally Posted by Snareman
Well, I guess thats a little subjective. Sure, it works and will get you where you're going, but as pointed out my Blackjack, not as well as it could. I was relatively happy with my BMW nav until I tried a 4 (or as it said, 6h) trip with it. At least the BMW nav lets me do stuff while I'm driving faster tham 2mph.
i stand corrected
Old 11-20-2008, 12:23 PM
EVO-to-G

Originally Posted by cholepuree
Hey guys! Well... I've decided to join the club Just bought an 08 G37S 6MT - Plat Graphite/Graphite - Premium Package. I too had heard that the NAV wasn't that great which is why I stayed away from it. But, has there been any update as to how we can instal an aftermarket double din unit - so that it can control Audio as well?

The car is being detailed as we speak - im so excited - but then again, im new to manual transmission - so this is gonna be quite an experience.

This shop has done it...new double din with navi, voice commands, audio, and the rest:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/showthr...hlight=kenwood
Old 11-20-2008, 12:51 PM
mal_TX

Who do you complain to? Infiniti.

The system is Clarion-sourced. There's a thread here regarding disassembly that identifies it as a Clarion unit. Zenrin was just providing the map data and they've been replaced. NavTeq is now providing the map data for 7.x systems and will be providing the map data for 8.x systems in the coming months.

Complaining to Clarion, Zenrin, or NavTeq will get you nothing because they are just a supplier chosen by Infiniti and they desire to have no relationship with you specifically.

What I'm saying is that the system may work better when the new data comes out. The after-market Clarion-branded version of our system already uses NavTeQ data:

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...294767543.html

Last edited by mal_TX; 11-20-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:56 PM
Snareman

Originally Posted by mal_TX
Who do you complain to? Infiniti.

The system is Clarion-sourced. Zenrin was providing the map data. NavTeq is now providing the map data for 7.x systems and will be providing the map data for 8.x systems in the coming months.

Complaining to Clarion, Zenrin, or NavTeq will get you nothing because they are just a supplier chosen by Infiniti and they desire to have no relationship with you specifically.

Maybe true. They just want to collect $200 for a new DVD map upgrade. Although I'm not sure Infiniti will do anything about it. Sure, if they get enough people complaining I suppose maybe they'd change something, sort of like writing to your congressmen. Ultimately though, if I called Infiniti about poor routing I'd think they couldn't tell me anything except to note my complaint since they didn't design the software. They'd probably refer me to Zenrin, etc.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:57 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
What's the big deal? If he or I want to complain to Infiniti, let us. Hopefully if we got enough, Infiniti would seek to improve their technology and choose better vendors for their systems.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:59 PM
Snareman

Originally Posted by Blackjack
What's the big deal? If he or I want to complain to Infiniti, let us. Hopefully if we got enough, Infiniti would seek to improve their technology and choose better vendors for their systems.
Oh, I'm certainly not saying not to complain to Infiniti. By all means - do it and maybe they'll improve something. I'm just thinking/guessing that they wouldn't be able to provide much help on the matter.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:09 PM
w0ady

hm interesting info brian. im getting navi just because the screens already there really. i still plan on double checking routes through mapquest or my phone but thanks for the heads up. hopefully the 09s/new software works better.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:48 PM
AudioShoppe

Love that kenwood swap we did the garmin is so nice....
Old 11-21-2008, 06:38 PM
vibrant_red_G37

Eeesh-glad I opted NOT to get the NAV...my Magellan works fine thank you very much. Also it was a lot cheaper!
Old 11-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
I believe that as OEM nav systems continue to improve they will become standard equipment on most cars, certainly the upscale ones. They will be as standard as radios, heaters, air conditioners, power windows and cruise controls are today. Aftermarket nav devices will always lack most integration features, e.g., backup cameras, that will come with these autos, and will eventually be phased out of the market.

So those of you who covet your Garmins should save them, and eventually put them away along with your six-track tape player and suction-cup mounted compass and show them to your grandchildren some day.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:53 PM
Infiniti Esc

FYI Guys--- Complaining to Infiniti will only get you so far. The Navi systems are made by Clarion and Infiniti knows that there is issues. What they are trying to do about it at this point I don't know. If your Navi systems are not scrolling through presets or are having other issues then take it to your local dealer and have them order you a new unit. Since the system is somewhat new (hard drive based) they are still working out issues. Hope that helps.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:30 PM
Snareman

And don't compain to Navteq. Here's the response I got back from them for my BMW. I guess I should have thought as much, but thought I'd try them just the same. So would complaining to Clarion do anything?

Thank you for contacting NAVTEQ. Although BMW uses our map data, we do not provide technical support on their behalf. For technical support please contact your nearest authorized BMW dealership.

If you need additional assistance, please send us your feedback by replying to this email or by speaking with one of our agents at the number provided below, Monday through Friday.

To help us maintain the highest level of service, please take a few moments to complete our Customer Satisfaction Survey. Your response will help us to better target our services to meet your needs. Please note that your response will be kept confidential. Thank you in advance for your participation.

Kind regards,

NAVTEQ
Customer Contact Center
nabc_english@navteq.com

Quick Reply: Our NAVs SUCK!